Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-23-2014, 05:04 PM

9,618 posts, read 27,330,094 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by homesinseattle View Post
A private room (at $70ish) here might be a lot of fun at your age. Fremont, even more than Ballard, is the center of microbrew universe, besides (for my money) being the grooviest part of Seattle and exceptional live music as well: Gallery
I'll bet you a Maritime Pacific or a Hale's that Ballard has more places for craft beer than Fremont.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2014, 05:28 PM

5,075 posts, read 11,067,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GatsbyGatz View Post
Bar-hopping is a delight here! Use basic common sense when on the streets, but honestly, safety shouldn't even be a concern. Some worry-worts who are natives and have never lived in other cities will say to avoid places like Pioneer Square, but seriously, compared to most downtowns, Pioneer Square is perfectly fine; lots of great bars and restaurants, too!
Pioneer Square is pretty hit and miss. The last few times I was down there it seemed like everyone was from kent, Renton, Everett, Tacoma- ie tourists coming to "the big city" to party on the weekend-and that's who many of the establishments cater to. Not to say its bad, it's just not particularly hip, unique or cutting edge. Still seems to have a hard time keeping much in the way of retail shops also. Lots of vacant windows.

And while there are some breweries nearby, there are better ones elsewhere. The Elysian and pyramid are not as good as the other locations.

Old 02-01-2014, 12:50 PM

11,289 posts, read 26,182,626 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBVirtuoso View Post
Most of Seattle is quite safe by Chicago standards. Downtown Seattle has a very visible homeless population and some drug problems, but these things don't affect 99% of the people who find themselves downtown. The areas of Seattle that have microbreweries are particularly safe; it's really the more suburban parts of the city that have bigger crime problems, and even then, it's more theft than violent crime.

Basically, if you're comfortable hanging out in places like Wicker Park, the South Loop, Clark Street on a Friday night, or around Grand and Milwaukee, you should be fine anywhere in Seattle.

The one area where you'll want to use extra caution is Pioneer Square. It's not so dangerous that it should be avoided, but there are lots of characters roaming around. I'd equate it with what you see around Chicago and State - it's got issues, but they won't affect you if you mind your own business.

Also, be aware that Seattle's transit is supremely terrible for late night escapades. You'll be fine if you're hanging out in the area of your hotel, but bus service starts becoming skeletal after 11 pm on weekends. Make sure you're back in your neighborhood by then, or travel could become very inconvenient or require a cab.
Haha, well techinically a majority of Chicago is safe by Chicago standards - just because crime is so isolated in certain areas.

Old 02-01-2014, 01:23 PM

458 posts, read 957,685 times
I think you would love Ballard and the new Hotel Ballard is amazing! Reminds me of boutique hotels in London...everything is right there and hardly any need for a car. The hotel is attached to Olympic Athletic Club and you can use the facilities there when you stay at the hotel. You can walk everywhere in Ballard which is filled to the brim with restaurants, bars, live music, shops etc!

Old 02-01-2014, 02:07 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,551 posts, read 81,085,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ira500 View Post
I think some of them have rooms available by the hour.
Yes, and the same with International Boulevard.

Old 02-03-2014, 11:33 AM

21 posts, read 47,068 times
Watertown hotel at University District is a good place to stay. Good location. easy access to I5 highway and 520. they also have shuttle service to downtown. I stayed about 4 days, good experience.

Old 02-03-2014, 12:37 PM

5,066 posts, read 2,858,957 times
If you want to walk a pub crawl - breweries/beer bars - and get a local vibe then Ballard is the place. DT probably has more taps overall but only 1 brewery at Pikes, unless count Elysian and Pyramid which are by the stadium. (pretty fair distance from DT and require a stroll through Pioneer SQ) The DT vibe is very corporate/tourist. If you're willing to grab buses you can stay about anywhere. The D/C line is the magical beer line if you do a little research on places. Hotels like Silvercloud will shuttle you to DT. DT is an okay hub for everything. Fremont is close to Ballard and has lots of good places with lots of taps, and a couple of breweries. Definitely a must stop and drink place.

As to safety, it's like any city - keep your eyes open and be aware. If you don't make yourself a target then chances are you won't become one.

Old 02-13-2014, 04:12 PM

7 posts, read 9,359 times
Well I cannot thank you all enough, this has all been a huge help. We ended up booking our stay at Hotel Ballard based off of your suggestions, I've been swooping around the area on google street view and it looks great around there. I'm especially excited about the 800 breweries in the area, compared to the 1 that I have near me now.

Last question, I've been looking at transportation around the city, and from what I gathered, we can take the light link rail from the airport to Westlake Center, and then it looks like the green streetcar route ends nearly next door to the hotel. Does this sound correct? It was kind of confusing picking out the differences between the light link, sounder, and streetcar routes, but it looks like the sounder is moreso of a cross-city commute, whereas the other two seem to be centralized within Seattle.

Old 02-13-2014, 04:14 PM

7 posts, read 9,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JonasW View Post
If you want to walk a pub crawl - breweries/beer bars - and get a local vibe then Ballard is the place. DT probably has more taps overall but only 1 brewery at Pikes, unless count Elysian and Pyramid which are by the stadium. (pretty fair distance from DT and require a stroll through Pioneer SQ) The DT vibe is very corporate/tourist. If you're willing to grab buses you can stay about anywhere. The D/C line is the magical beer line if you do a little research on places. Hotels like Silvercloud will shuttle you to DT. DT is an okay hub for everything. Fremont is close to Ballard and has lots of good places with lots of taps, and a couple of breweries. Definitely a must stop and drink place.

As to safety, it's like any city - keep your eyes open and be aware. If you don't make yourself a target then chances are you won't become one.

What is the D/C line?

Old 02-13-2014, 11:36 PM

9,182 posts, read 12,120,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkarch View Post
The last few times I was down there it seemed like everyone was from kent, Renton, Everett, Tacoma- ie tourists coming to "the big city" to party on the weekend
lol tourists from Renton . It's like saying tourists from Lake City or Northgate.

Last edited by Botev1912; 02-13-2014 at 11:51 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area