Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-25-2014, 06:29 PM

419 posts, read 551,434 times

Advertisements

Hey everyone, I was wondering how outdoorsy of a city is Seattle? On the Pittsburgh forum, people claim that Pittsburgh is a very outdoorsy place and lots of locals there enjoy the outdoors year-round, regardless of temperature, snow, or rain. They claim Pittsburghers are out on their bikes in the snow, ice, rain, and subzero temps. Personally, I don't notice that at all. It really shuts down in the winter and on rainy days. The amount of people outside nearly triples on sunny days. One former Seattlelite who now lives in Pittsburgh, claims most Seattlelites are outdoors year-round, even in the rain. This includes biking, running, and other activities. Is this mostly true? Also, do any former Pittsburghers who moved to Seattle notice the difference between the two cities in terms of the local population taking advantage of the outdoors year-round? I'm talking activities such as running, bicycling, boating, camping, swimming, etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2014, 06:39 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,551 posts, read 81,085,957 times
You will find some of the recent transplants from warmer climates here on CD that complain about the weather, but natives and those of us like me that have been here a while (20 years) and love the outdoors are outside every day. Today was unusually sunny and warm at 52 but I spent most of it outside working in the yard. Rain or shine, even snow, I walk a mile twice a day. When the kids were younger we went camping all the time in the rain, and just had to set up the tent in the garage when we got home to let it dry out. We are not unusual, you will see people riding bikes, hiking, playing soccer, or boating in the rain and cold. Swimming is another matter. Other than the few indoor pools like Issaquah, most are closed except for summer, and other than the polar bear plunge few people swim in the lakes in winter.

Old 01-25-2014, 06:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
You will find some of the recent transplants from warmer climates here on CD that complain about the weather, but natives and those of us like me that have been here a while (20 years) and love the outdoors are outside every day. Today was unusually sunny and warm at 52 but I spent most of it outside working in the yard. Rain or shine, even snow, I walk a mile twice a day. When the kids were younger we went camping all the time in the rain, and just had to set up the tent in the garage when we got home to let it dry out. We are not unusual, you will see people riding bikes, hiking, playing soccer, or boating in the rain and cold. Swimming is another matter. Other than the few indoor pools like Issaquah, most are closed except for summer, and other than the polar bear plunge few people swim in the lakes in winter.
I would certaintly imagine Seattle having considerably less icy/snowy/sub-freezing temp days. I'd imagine the milder winters and drizzly/misty rain wouldn't be too much of a problem for runners or bicyclists. Do you guys even get heavy rain there? From what I've heard, it is more "misty."

Old 01-25-2014, 07:28 PM

1,651 posts, read 2,781,706 times
There are definitely a lot less people out in the winter. Quite frankly I prefer doing outdoor activities in the winters temps, summer temps get a little warm if you like your activity more on the strenuous side. The misty rain feels great against your skin, and the moist air is a pleasure to breath when you're working out. However, there are plenty of people who feel otherwise since trails and parks are a lot less busy in the winter. Less busy is not deserted though. There's definitely a number of people who are quite active year-round.

I will note - I grew up on a farm in a climate with a lot of extremes. I simply expect to go outside every day - it's how I grew up, and I get a little twitchy if I don't. The weather here is always so much nicer than where I'm from that it seems just about perpetually balmy to me. However, if I grew up in town in a warmer climate, I might feel very differently.

Old 01-25-2014, 08:04 PM

9,618 posts, read 27,332,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pghdude28 View Post
I would certaintly imagine Seattle having considerably less icy/snowy/sub-freezing temp days. I'd imagine the milder winters and drizzly/misty rain wouldn't be too much of a problem for runners or bicyclists. Do you guys even get heavy rain there? From what I've heard, it is more "misty."
Certainly we get heavy rain. It's just that the light stuff, the mist and the drizzle is more common.

Old 01-25-2014, 10:43 PM

192 posts, read 423,448 times
I am a Pittsbugher living in Seattle! IMO both places are pretty much the same as far as outdoorsy goes, the only difference I see is that there are way more people biking on the main roads out here.

Just as grey in the winter as the burgh but we get rain whereas you get snow. The rain is not heavy most of the time.

HTH

Old 01-25-2014, 11:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JessicaJ412 View Post
I am a Pittsbugher living in Seattle! IMO both places are pretty much the same as far as outdoorsy goes, the only difference I see is that there are way more people biking on the main roads out here.

Just as grey in the winter as the burgh but we get rain whereas you get snow. The rain is not heavy most of the time.

HTH
I would think running/biking would be much more prevalent in Seattle in the winter due to less days of ice, snow, subzero temps. Yeah the grey absolutely sucks! Can't stand it in the Burgh either, but maybe Seattle's winter climate is better for the outdoors. I personally like going out on my bike.... not so much in snow. Pittsburgh just seems to shut down by Thanksgiving and re-open after Easter. Does Seattle ever have a ghost town feeling?

Old 01-26-2014, 10:25 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,551 posts, read 81,085,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pghdude28 View Post
I would think running/biking would be much more prevalent in Seattle in the winter due to less days of ice, snow, subzero temps. Yeah the grey absolutely sucks! Can't stand it in the Burgh either, but maybe Seattle's winter climate is better for the outdoors. I personally like going out on my bike.... not so much in snow. Pittsburgh just seems to shut down by Thanksgiving and re-open after Easter. Does Seattle ever have a ghost town feeling?
On those rare major snow events, where there is more than a few inches in Seattle, many of the workers from the eastside cities will work from home rather than risk the trip to Seattle. That results in less traffic and somewhat empty stores/restaurants but still not what I would call a ghost town. People willo still be seen wandering around downtown and there will still be cars and buses.

Old 01-26-2014, 11:33 AM

21,989 posts, read 15,702,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
On those rare major snow events, where there is more than a few inches in Seattle, many of the workers from the eastside cities will work from home rather than risk the trip to Seattle. That results in less traffic and somewhat empty stores/restaurants but still not what I would call a ghost town. People willo still be seen wandering around downtown and there will still be cars and buses.
Yes and the best part is working from home during a snow event and watching others try to drive in it on TV. The Seattle metro does not pour a lot of money into snow removal equipment because it doesn't happen often enough to warrant the cost.

Seattle Snow Fail! - YouTube

What's more, it's often not the quantity of snow but the hills and the ice. Granted, this road should have been closed:

Sliding Cars in Seattle Snow on 11/22/10 - YouTube

Old 01-26-2014, 01:09 PM

3,533 posts, read 5,827,208 times
I grew up in Oregon and hiking in the drizzly mist during the Spring or Fall is one of my favorite times to go hiking because the crowds are much less and the scenery is much greener. If you shun going outside when it is drizzling or cloudy, you are really missing out on what the Northwest has to offer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area