Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-31-2014, 09:59 PM

5 posts, read 9,991 times

Advertisements

I just got a high-level, great paying job in Kent off 167. I have looked at a couple places in East Hill-Meridian, and Covington and I find that they just don't compare to the neighborhoods I am used to having lived north of Seattle all my life (Edmonds, Lynnwood, Snohomish, Mukilteo, Shoreline).

I want to stick as far north as reasonably possible because my family all lives up there. I don't have a preference for Seattle/Eastside, but would like more of a house/condo with a yard than crowded apartment buildings. Ideally want under $900-1000 a month. I could deal with a rommate, but wouldn't want to pay more than $600-700.

I grew up around here, moved out of state for college, so I have never done any commuting around here. I know how long it takes to get places without traffic, but I am constantly amazed by how much longer it takes during rush hour.

Anyone have good suggestions for cities to live in? Your help is much appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2014, 10:31 PM

7,743 posts, read 15,870,170 times
A house for $900/1K a month just isn't going to happen anywhere in the Seattle Metro. A condo with a yard at that range is more likely if you look south.

You need to define what is "reasonably possible" for your commute because everyone varies in that definition. I personally would never ever consider those northern areas that you're used to if the job is in Kent; the most "north" I would go is Capitol Hill/Belltown-- and it's already not working with your parameters ($$, crowded).

You might ultimately need to up your budget range, but do look to Normandy Park, Des Moines (close to the Marina), Burien, Renton. They're great options.

Old 01-31-2014, 10:46 PM

How in the heck do so many young people live in Seattle?! I make great money and still can't fathom spending $1500+ on an apartment.

I would like to spend less than 40-60 minutes door to door during my commute.

Thank you for the suggestions, I'll keep an eye out.

Old 02-01-2014, 12:22 AM

1,359 posts, read 2,481,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by liebenz View Post
I just got a high-level, great paying job in Kent off 167. I have looked at a couple places in East Hill-Meridian, and Covington and I find that they just don't compare to the neighborhoods I am used to having lived north of Seattle all my life (Edmonds, Lynnwood, Snohomish, Mukilteo, Shoreline).

I want to stick as far north as reasonably possible because my family all lives up there. I don't have a preference for Seattle/Eastside, but would like more of a house/condo with a yard than crowded apartment buildings. Ideally want under $900-1000 a month. I could deal with a rommate, but wouldn't want to pay more than $600-700.

I grew up around here, moved out of state for college, so I have never done any commuting around here. I know how long it takes to get places without traffic, but I am constantly amazed by how much longer it takes during rush hour.

Anyone have good suggestions for cities to live in? Your help is much appreciated.
The further north you go, the more you run into the "Amazon effect".

Whether you like it or not, the large influx of people willing to spend $500 to $1000 more a month than your stated range has had a significant effect on rental prices ... I'd say Seattle north to Lynnwood is largely out of your range. There are places in Lynnwood that are closer to that range, but your commute will be hell.

You may want to reconsider living in the South End. Des Moines is not bad, and lots of younger people are choosing Burien, too.

Old 02-01-2014, 01:06 AM

644 posts, read 1,187,902 times
The classic rule of thumb is to spend no more than 30% of pre-tax income on rent. Many management companies use a similar number (or perhaps a bit less strict) to determine if your income is enough to cover rent. I can't speak for all young people, but since I consider my apartment a critical part of my life, I'm willing to spend a significant portion of my income on rent. With many recent college graduates in Seattle making $50k, $80k, or $120k, a lot of young people in the city can afford very high rents.

Also, most young people are fine with a small apartment with no yard or balcony - almost none of those young people you see walking around Capitol Hill will go home to a yard.

In your situation, I'd say you should just stick with areas near Kent. There may be a few scattered condos that would interest you in places like Rainier Beach, Georgetown, White Center, or Burien. But you probably won't be seeing your family more often than you go to work, so it makes sense to stay close to work. You can always drive to see your family during off-peak traffic.

Old 02-01-2014, 01:26 AM

9,618 posts, read 27,342,201 times
How do so many young people live in Seattle?
Either they make really great money, or they rent tiny places.
I pretty much agree with everybody above. Insisting on living north is going to mean paying more and having a terrible commute. There are comfortable, safe, fun places south. You'll get more for your money rent wise, and it won't be such a bad commute. Parts of Des Moines and Burien should be considered, especially the closer to Puget Sound parts. There should be a lot to look at in Renton.
But in answer to your question- how far north can you go and still have a reasonable commute with lower rent? South Beacon Hill? White Center? Skyway?

Old 02-02-2014, 08:19 PM

I make $60K, so I don't think I am struggling income-wise. I put a good chunk toward my 401K and savings, so I could not to spend more than $1500 rent+utilities. The less I spend though, the more I can put toward vacations and the like.

When I think about people I know living in Seattle, they are living with their boyfriend/girlfriend which obviously helps with the cost. I'm either on my own or looking at splitting a place with a roommate. No boyfriend yet.

I am hearing a lot of Burien - I will keep my eye out for something around there. I would enjoy being closer to the water. I want a yard because I would really like to get a dog and have a yard for them to run around in during the day instead of being cooped up or getting to the dog park every day.

I like having good places to eat, nice parts of town to window shop, and pretty drives nearby. But I would say I am definitely not a city kid and much happier with privacy and trees. Would Issaquah be too far?

Old 02-02-2014, 08:31 PM

7,743 posts, read 15,870,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by liebenz View Post
I like having good places to eat, nice parts of town to window shop, and pretty drives nearby. But I would say I am definitely not a city kid and much happier with privacy and trees. Would Issaquah be too far?
You really have no idea about traffic here. Dealing with i90 (back roads will not save you much time at all), then 405 (which is a complete PITA) then into 167? Bleh. While you never mentioned the hours you're working look @: http://www.wsdot.com/traffic/seattle/default.aspx to get a general idea what you can expect.

You never heard of Seahurst in Burien? Even the Marina in Des Moines got trees and is not too far from Saltwater State Park. You won't be denied trees and privacy on the Southend.

Old 02-02-2014, 10:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inkpoe View Post
You really have no idea about traffic here. Dealing with i90 (back roads will not save you much time at all), then 405 (which is a complete PITA) then into 167? Bleh. While you never mentioned the hours you're working look @: WSDOT - Seattle Washington Cameras to get a general idea what you can expect.

You never heard of Seahurst in Burien? Even the Marina in Des Moines got trees and is not too far from Saltwater State Park. You won't be denied trees and privacy on the Southend.
I am tragically unfamiliar with traffic, and I tend to be optimistic. I appreciate everyone's guidance because there's nothing more frustrating than bumper to bumper traffic.

I will be working 8 to 5 as far as I know. I can't say I have ever been to Burien, Normandy Park, or Seahurst. I don't see much on Craigslist over there so I'll have to be on top of anything that appears.

The "get away from the city" side of me would like somewhere like Maple Valley, but I also want to look for new friends and actually have people around to date. So I'll stick near the city if I can.

Old 02-25-2014, 01:36 AM

I ended up settling in a 2 bedroom duplex a couple blocks off Alki beach. Half an hour to and from work...perfect
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area