Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-06-2014, 02:20 AM

1,979 posts, read 3,526,393 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessoftheCape View Post
On the news this evening, they showed a clip of some woman in her fifties screaming her lungs out at CenturyLink today while watching snippets from the victory. Every time there was a big hit, she'd scream 'BOOM!' at the top of her lungs. 'BOOM!' 'BOOM!' 'BOOM!' I immediately got the distinct impression that this time last year, this sorry, empty-headed individual did not even know the team existed. She probably still couldn't regurgitate half of what was going on last Sunday because she was too busy getting hammered and yucking it up with her clown tea cozy pals, all of them also fifty-something aging soccer moms who latched onto the Seahawks because the news told them that was the 'hip' thing to do right now.

And I sense that with a lot of these 'fans.' I don't get the feeling that most of these people spent the past three decades in agony waiting for a championship... but rather came oozing out of the woodwork only recently when it started to seem inevitable. Such can this season be summed up.
You wouldn't know this, because you're obviously not a fan, but most of the people at Century Link Field today were season ticket holders - 62,000 of them. The waiting list for season tickets has more than 10,000 names on it. So no, the people at the Clink today most likely were NOT bandwagon fans.

As an aside, the Seahawks have sold out more than 90 home games in a row now. Games were well attended in the Kingdome, too.

You're not from here, and that's part of the problem. A lot of people who live here are not from here. This city has slowly lost its soul with more and more people like you moving here. All you do is ***** about how much this place sucks in comparison to wherever you came from. So if the natives get a day to finally celebrate a team that some of us have watched our whole lives, AWESOME! We deserve it after years of supporting miserable teams - in all sports - in this city. And it's great if the newbies want to join in. Maybe it's something that will actually get them to start treating Seattle like their home town. It's the ONE event I can recall in my 36 years that has drawn this city together in ONE shared joy, and I think it's amazing that a game can do that for a city.

victorianpunk:

I think your name says it all. If sport aren't your thing, fine. Go dress up in your puffy Lestat blouse and eye makeup, and do whatever it is you do. But I would hope you could feel good that others in your city was able to celebrate something today that made all ages and races feel happy, and they did it apparently without a single arrest. Pretty amazing for an emotional crowd of 700,000+.

For what it's worth, it took me 2.5 hours to get to work today. And I didn't even mind really, because I thought it was great seeing everyone carpooling into the city and lining up at bus stops in their Seahawks garb, all so they could go have some wholesome fun together at a PARADE. I much preferred this congenial crowd to the standoffish, and ironically very conformist, crowd at PAX, Sa*****on or ECCC.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2014, 07:31 AM

3,451 posts, read 7,055,138 times
Quote:
I heard on the radio earlier some woman talking about pulling her 7-year-old out of school so he could 'one day tell his grandchildren about this.'

Really?

... Really?

Look, I understand that winning the Super Bowl is a big deal, and that big time sports victories don't happen often in this part of the country, but I guess coming from Boston I've learned not to lose my head over these sorts of things. Even back in '04 I don't think people reacted this deliriously to the Sox winning. Was it wonderful? Were we jubilant? Was it a seminal moment for the city? Absolutely. But it never rivaled the level of bandwagoning insanity I've seen here in the past couple of days.

On the news this evening, they showed a clip of some woman in her fifties screaming her lungs out at CenturyLink today while watching snippets from the victory. Every time there was a big hit, she'd scream 'BOOM!' at the top of her lungs. 'BOOM!' 'BOOM!' 'BOOM!' I immediately got the distinct impression that this time last year, this sorry, empty-headed individual did not even know the team existed. She probably still couldn't regurgitate half of what was going on last Sunday because she was too busy getting hammered and yucking it up with her clown tea cozy pals, all of them also fifty-something aging soccer moms who latched onto the Seahawks because the news told them that was the 'hip' thing to do right now.

And I sense that with a lot of these 'fans.' I don't get the feeling that most of these people spent the past three decades in agony waiting for a championship... but rather came oozing out of the woodwork only recently when it started to seem inevitable. Such can this season be summed up.
Boston and its people are clearly superior to Seattle and its people.

Old 02-06-2014, 07:33 AM

413 posts, read 789,725 times
Quote:
I heard on the radio earlier some woman talking about pulling her 7-year-old out of school so he could 'one day tell his grandchildren about this.'

Really?

... Really?

Look, I understand that winning the Super Bowl is a big deal, and that big time sports victories don't happen often in this part of the country, but I guess coming from Boston I've learned not to lose my head over these sorts of things. Even back in '04 I don't think people reacted this deliriously to the Sox winning. Was it wonderful? Were we jubilant? Was it a seminal moment for the city? Absolutely. But it never rivaled the level of bandwagoning insanity I've seen here in the past couple of days.

Do you ever post about anything other than how Boston sports teams/fans are superior to Seattle sports teams/fans?

Old 02-06-2014, 08:58 AM

21 posts, read 54,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mousetron View Post
I don't give a damn about football and I think you're being a killjoy.

This attitude is one of the worst things about nerd fandom. You can't just enjoy something - you have to have read every comic and get every single reference or else you're not a real fan. If sports fans are inclusive and welcoming maybe it pleases them to share something they love instead of acting like someone else's enjoyment diminishes their own. "Fake-Marvel fan friends"? How is that even something you've thought about? What the hell is wrong with you?
Agreed. The nerd fandom is ridiculous in this respect. "How dare you like something I like, but not in the same way or to the same degree that I like it!!"

Old 02-06-2014, 09:22 AM

1,584 posts, read 2,084,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by victorianpunk View Post
Today, I had the pleasure of leaving for work an hour early, only to still be late after walking from the Space Needle all the way to Spring Street. And why? Because a few hundred thousand mindless lemmings on the band wagon had to stand out in the blistering cold to cheer on as the local crew of overpaid steroid addicts who probably beat their wives drove past, making it impossible for me to get to my job without walking all the way around.

Really people, WHAT BARING DOES ANY OF THIS HAVE ON YOUR DAY TO DAY LIVES? Answer: NONE!

So a bunch of fat guys in tight pants, none of whom give a damn whether you live or die, managed to defeat another group of fat guys in tight pants. How is that going to effect you in anyway? Why don't you just admit it: sports are just another form of entertainment. Simple as that. Why make such a MASSIVE DEAL out of entertainment?

And do you REALLY think that all these people actually watch football on a regular basis? No way! 80% of them had to be just drones jumping on the bandwagon.

I can respect people who like football, but the band wagon idiots? I have nothing but contempt for those poor excuses for humans and would have very little objection to seeing them sterilized so that they can't pass their mindless follower genes onto the next generation.

Really, would you watch the season finale of a show you NEVER watch all season? Probably not. But so many people watch to superbowl. If a show you never watched had a series finale and the cast had a parade, would you stand there in the cold, dragging your kids to see it too? Probably not.

But replace "show" with "football" and there you have the buffoonery I was forced to witness today.

I may well be one of the few heterosexual men who have no real interest in sports. Sorry, but the idea of watching sweaty men playing with balls just doesn't appeal to me. There are so many more things I could invest my time in than following the career of a jock, whom, I might add, where the exact kind of people I hated growing up.

Let me put it this way: what if they made a "Call of Cthulhu" movie and filmed a part of it in Seattle. What if you couldn't walk ten feet in any direction for a month without hearing "Dagon" this and "Azathoth" that and "Necronomicon" and blah blah? What if in celebration of the film being released, everyone hit the streets, blocking traffic and making it hard for you to get to work and making a huge mess, and everyone was screaming "Cthulhu fhtagn!" and dressing up like cultists, and you KNEW that 80% of them weren't even fans of H.P Lovecraft before the movie came out?

Could you imagine, being surrounded by people so obsessed with something you never did care for (assuming you aren't Lovecraft nerds) screaming at the top of their idiot lungs about something you don't know about and don't care about and that was all everyone was talking about?

Welcome to the world of someone in Seattle who doesn't give a damn about football.

Just happy it's over and hopefully next year some other team will do more steroids and beat them earlier to this doesn't happen again.
Even IF there are a lot of bandwagon jumpers, at least it's for the sake of having pride in your city and your region. I don't see what the big deal is. I feel like the parade was just as much of a celebration for the Northwest region as much as it was for the Seahawks. And there's a difference between being a casual Hawks/football fan and taking it up 10 notches when they are clearly the best team in the most popular league in the country........and you. Just because someone couldn't tell you who the team's first draft pick was in 2011 and now they're a little more into the team doesn't make them a bandwagon fan. I'm sure the majority of people at the parade have had at least some interest in the Hawks for a long time in some capacity, even if not a self-admitted die hard fan. Even if that wasn't the case, they still came out to show pride in their city.

I'm assuming you might enjoy people seeing you as a Negative Nancy about the whole thing. I'd assume posting it, and then getting slammed with negative responses to it, would validate in your mind your hatred of the mass of popularity the Hawks are bringing. From what you actually said in your post, I don't think the title of the thread was a real question, just a rhetorical one that you blended in with a mindlessly ignorant rant that you wanted to get off your chest because for some odd reason you're proud of the fact that you hate football and want everyone to think you're weird for it. You may be proud of it, but I can assure you no one cares.

Old 02-06-2014, 09:58 AM

312 posts, read 494,388 times
Agreed! Seahawks are overrated!

- From a 49ers fan

Old 02-06-2014, 10:04 AM

1,511 posts, read 1,973,372 times
Sums of my thoughts on the matter:

Nobody cares that you don

Old 02-06-2014, 11:26 AM

1,278 posts, read 2,923,033 times
Am I the only one who DOESN'T GIVE A ^^$#@ about the pathetic malcontents whose reaction to other people's joy/happiness/pride is to whine, kvetch and put down???

Old 02-06-2014, 12:04 PM

12,970 posts, read 9,656,695 times
Op, you do come across as very negative, like you are trying to steal the joy of the people.

Old 02-06-2014, 12:50 PM

2,319 posts, read 3,051,605 times
One of the better whines I've read on the boards. Here's a little cheese to go with it!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area