Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-06-2014, 03:00 AM

2,985 posts, read 4,883,900 times

Advertisements

So my girl and I live in North Seattle and today for impulsive reasons we decided to apply for an apartment in Cap Hill. The complex we'll be moving into hopefully is a renovation of an older building a few blocks west of Broadway and a block north from Olive. The complex does not have any parking.

My question is how bad is the parking in this area? We have one Toyota Corolla so it isn't too much of a hassle, but locals I've talked to complain a lot about parking. I leave at 8am and arrive home at 5pm; would parking be doable at that hour? I've also been recommended to rent parking; anyone know of any lots or garages in this area? Near Summit & Olive.

I appreciate your feedback! This decision to move was a bit impulsive of us so now I'm slightly freaking out about the details.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2014, 08:26 AM

571 posts, read 1,173,274 times
I live in Greenwood now, but have lived on Capitol and First hills the past five years. If you can swing it, I'd rent a parking spot (sorry no recommendations off hand). I had a spot in a parking garage the first few years and it was great- last two years I decided to forego paying to save money, but my commute times are the same as yours. Finding a decent spot after 5 is difficult. On weekends I recommend not moving your car again until Monday. The area is so popular I noticed lots of people from other neighborhoods filling available spots. You can do it, but it's way tougher than North Seattle. It's worth it though- it's still my favorite part of the city.

Old 02-06-2014, 08:28 AM

5,002 posts, read 12,357,512 times
Yes it is as bad as you think. Luckily you can get a resident sticker. Bad news is cap hill wasn't updated with parking options when the city authorized more high density living.

Old 02-06-2014, 08:37 AM

458 posts, read 957,946 times
It is so bad that I chose to live in a different neighborhood but we had two cars to deal with. I would take the first posters advice and rent a space so you don't have to deal with the hassle!

Old 02-06-2014, 09:06 AM

5,075 posts, read 11,071,383 times
Moving there thinking you'll park on the street is not a great idea. Certain areas have more street parking availability, and others have less - you picked one of the tightest areas. Also take into account if the building you're moving into is vacant now, how many other new residents are going to be fighting over spaces on the same blocks? How many new buildings are going up nearby? Even if it's somewhat doable now, how bad will it be in the summer?

Old 02-06-2014, 09:12 AM

1,651 posts, read 2,782,712 times
We live in that general area too. Yes - parking is pretty bad. We rent a spot. I just kept an eye on Craig's list - there's a section where people advertise parking spots for rent. It's worth every penny not to be endlessly circling or parking 1/2 mile away. Also - the lot under the QFC offers monthly parking, but since they're spendier than what I found - I didn't go with them. However, you could do that for a few months while you look for something else.

Welcome to the neighborhood!

Old 02-06-2014, 09:26 AM

I found a spot two blocks away for $150 off of Craigslist; is that a "best case scenario" or should I keep searching for something cheaper?

Old 02-06-2014, 10:00 AM

1,511 posts, read 1,972,661 times
Heh, your new place is just a few blocks from my apartment. Yes, parking is, as others have said, pretty bad. If you are eligible for zoned parking (depends on your specific address) go for it. If not, I would try rent a space. $150 seems pricey but also unsurprising.

As my wife and I both walk to work, we manage with street parking for one car but it's a drag a)moving it every three days b)finding a spot after 6pm or so c)sometimes having to park it like 5 blocks from our apartment. That said, it's not hard to find a spot during the morning and daytime. It's just the evenings that are rough.

Bottom line, if you need to drive to get to work and you can't find anything cheaper (and you can afford it) I would go with that sopt.

Old 02-06-2014, 10:02 AM

1,651 posts, read 2,782,712 times
Quote:
I found a spot two blocks away for $150 off of Craigslist; is that a "best case scenario" or should I keep searching for something cheaper?
You likely won't find a secure, reserved garage spot for much less. It's a little high if it's just a reserved, uncovered, off-street spot (off an ally or behind a building for example). Presuming it's a spot in a garage, you may be able to find cheaper, but probably not without some waiting and watching. If it's month-to-month, it seems like a good enough deal to start off with.

FWIW - we have an open garage (row of garages behind a building) that we currently rent for $100/mo. Uncovered would be less, a secure garage would be more.

Old 02-06-2014, 10:53 AM

BATCAT, I'm very excited to live there! I'm just trying to get over my neuroses about moving. We have 1 car (my fiancee's) and she requires a vehicle for her job.

Kayela, any spots available within the next 20 days and is located somewhat near Broadway and Olive?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area