Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-08-2014, 08:35 AM

1 posts, read 2,013 times

Advertisements

My husband is considering a job with Amazon at their headquarters in Seattle. Where are there good schools and affordable housing?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2014, 09:25 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,635 posts, read 81,333,263 times
Depends on what you mean by affordable. The best public schools are in the more expensive areas, such as Mercer Island, Bellevue, Issaquah, Sammamish. If you compromise and go for good schools and more affordability, such as Maple Valley, you will have a longer commute. Shoreline is probably a good compromise that is still a reasonable commute to S Lake Union. There are many Amazon employees here in Sammamish, taking the bus to work, but with waiting and transfers it's an hour each way.

Old 02-08-2014, 10:27 AM

458 posts, read 959,172 times
I think it is very subjective based on what is most important and how much of a commute you want. And commuting in our region is becoming worse so that is a very important consideration and why many people choose to live in the city. Seattle is filled with neighborhoods that feel like towns and don't feel very urban at all. Some within quite good school boundaries. Some that come to mind are Greenwood, Maple Leaf, Parts of Magnolia and Crown Hill.

If I were looking outside of town I would look in Shoreline, Edmonds, Burien and Lake Forest park for a balance of good schools and more affordable homes.

Old 02-08-2014, 10:51 AM

9,618 posts, read 27,362,057 times
What they said. What does affordable mean to you? How long of a commute seems reasonable? Within the city of Seattle, there are good public schools, but they tend to be in less affordable neighborhoods. For example, if someone looking to rent a house finds a fairly nice three bedroom home for rent in Ballard for 2500 dollars, they'd probably think " Good deal!", but if they're coming from Michigan or Nebraska, they'd think " Wow, Seattle is expensive."
I like beautifulseattlehomes suggestions. I'd add the part of Renton in the Issaquah school district and wouldn't look in Burien unless I was sure I wouldn't be living there past kid's elementary school age, as middle and high schools are pretty problematic/mediocre there.
Within the city, I'd throw in NE Seattle- Ravenna, Wedgwood. Not so affordable, but decent commute and good schools.

Old 02-09-2014, 01:35 PM

6,033 posts, read 6,158,893 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sully1402 View Post
My husband is considering a job with Amazon at their headquarters in Seattle. Where are there good schools and affordable housing?
Mods, should be a new sticky, please, along with the Amazon hiring and weather threads. "Where should I live, en route to South Lake Union area for Amazon (employment)."

Commuting Maple Valley to SLU would be...interesting. Ex GF lives in Maple Valley, and while I was (am) impressed with the homes and general quality of life, plus the objectively-great schools all things considered, getting anywhere north of the Landing (east) or Georgetown (west) is just a PITA. All. The. Time. She was Boeing and made it work well-enough, but...nothing like spending lots of quality time in the car, to catch up on self-reflection / audible books / staring at bumpers in front of you.

There is little or nothing "affordable" near Amazon, or Microsoft, with good schools, quality of life, etc. By-definition. That day is ten years gone. Same goes for Cisco in San Jose, e.g. "Affordable" means $2K/month rent, or $630K to buy, right?

Old 02-09-2014, 02:17 PM

486 posts, read 843,685 times
I bought a 4BR/3BA/2100 SF house with my backyard being a local golf course in Maple Valley in 2011 for under $350K.

I commute via Metro Bus to downtown Seattle every morning and it takes an hour. It isn't a bother at all.

It is a great place to live out here and I enjoy it!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area