Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-14-2014, 07:39 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,585 posts, read 81,186,228 times

Advertisements

Much as I already miss the Ace Hardware store, I'm glad to see that our new Trader Joe's is opening a week from today, 2/21. I'm a little skeptical about the parking and how it might affect Safeway, but it will be nice to not have to drive into Redmond or Issaquah (with even less parking). Because we have a relative in the area, we sometimes go to the Ace in Bellevue at 156th & NE8th, but you don't get that same "family" feel of the Sammamish store. They always have some of the odd bits I need that are not at Home Depot or Lowe's.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2014, 08:46 AM

3,184 posts, read 4,847,102 times
When we heard about the new Trader Joe's it boosted Sammamish even further above the top of our list for house shopping locations! Trader Joes is our favorite place to shop for groceries.

Old 02-14-2014, 09:03 AM

8,736 posts, read 8,669,736 times
Trader Joes used to be my favorite place... now it's a rare treat for snack foods. I first reduced my trips when they moved across the interstate to a tighter fitting location (still better than Udistrict), but It was when I adopted an authentic concern for consumer waste that I had to nip the TJ habit in the bud. Oh well...

Old 02-14-2014, 10:40 AM

6,033 posts, read 6,148,398 times
(Musings on Ace, not TJ's):

I like the Ace at Bridle Trails in Redmond. Had a nice chat with the owner not too many years ago, when I was considering buying a franchise (briefly). Ace used to be, and for all I know may still be, one of the better franchises out there per various apparently-non-biased online analyses.

Bridle Trails center seems like a perfect location, so I remember thinking: if you've got the right spot, this is a gold mine. Bridle Trails neighborhood is pretty upscale, by the numbers, and one would guess that Ace at 70th and 132nd is convenient for the DIY crowd.

If location isn't optimal, however, could see that they'd easily be undercut by the other Big 2 providers (HD, L's). I am about 4 miles away from Bridle Trails and give them 100% of my modest hardware needs/business. They have odd stuff like hot tub chemicals, Benjamin Moore paint, and unusual fasteners that are perfect for my home DIY needs. Plus a little of many different kinds of inventory. They are going for that "general store/general hardware" feel of say c. 1960s, I think. As I recall from my analysis, earlier, they're about "high expertise" and "high touch," something missing from the experience of the others.

If I need counsel on specific stuff, Ace is totally the go-to. I've never stumped them yet.

Peer of mine in high-tech needs to buy one of those franchises: people should do what they love, not just what brings in the bacon. Hopefully when he's gotten both kids through college, he can. I would, but realized I don't "love" hardware and home improvements. And despite the generally-good vibe of Ace, the owner was pretty obviously the only employee who really cared about what was going on in the business, at least that day. He was hustling, the others were working but not really "engaged" if you know what I mean. I guess by-definition the owner and perhaps a second manager are the only employees of such a place with skin in the game.

Old 02-14-2014, 11:51 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blondebaerde View Post
(Musings on Ace, not TJ's):

And despite the generally-good vibe of Ace, the owner was pretty obviously the only employee who really cared about what was going on in the business, at least that day. He was hustling, the others were working but not really "engaged" if you know what I mean. I guess by-definition the owner and perhaps a second manager are the only employees of such a place with skin in the game.
The Sammamish one felt different. The cashiers were local kids, but the other staff were people with construction backgrounds that could actually help you figure out not only what to buy but give tips on how to install or fix things. Many had been there a long time and seemed to genuinely care about you and their
place in the community. The one we go to now is not quite the same but sounds like it's better than Bridal Trails. I have stopped there on the way to the dumps, but not lately.

Old 02-14-2014, 02:27 PM

192 posts, read 423,843 times
I am excited for this to open! It's nice to not have to leave the Plat for most things!!!!

Old 02-14-2014, 05:24 PM

2,319 posts, read 3,051,605 times
I survived at trader joe's when I was in graduate school, but years later I wonder what I saw in the store! Their organic produce is usually terrible. Then they have a bunch of junk food and frozen food. I don't get the draw to that store anymore.

Old 02-14-2014, 10:24 PM

8,736 posts, read 8,669,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Molli View Post
I survived at trader joe's when I was in graduate school, but years later I wonder what I saw in the store! Their organic produce is usually terrible. Then they have a bunch of junk food and frozen food. I don't get the draw to that store anymore.
Junk food.. it's totally the junk food selection for me... but I really try to restrict myself with it. The packaging-to-food ratio is terrible... it's absurd given the kind of people TJ seems to attract... upper-middle class (or wanna be upper-middle class), urban-y leaning on green-ish wannabes... did you ever see the TJ moms in yoga pants youtube video floating around, oh.. like 5 years ago? That was totally me without the income. Now? Not so much.

Old 02-22-2014, 07:48 PM

We went today, and for the 2nd day open it wasn't too bad. All the check stands were open with the line about 8-10 long to pay. By the time we got ready to check out there was one empty so no waiting. They also had 4-5 employees wandering around to help people find things. It definitely is smaller than Redmond, about like the original one in Issaquah before they moved. The parking challenge is not so much finding a space, as not getting hit. People are in and out a lot faster than Safeway and you have to go easy to avoid getting smacked by someone backing out of their space.

Old 02-22-2014, 08:15 PM

6,893 posts, read 8,935,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingsaucermom View Post
Junk food.. it's totally the junk food selection for me... but I really try to restrict myself with it. The packaging-to-food ratio is terrible... it's absurd given the kind of people TJ seems to attract... upper-middle class (or wanna be upper-middle class), urban-y leaning on green-ish wannabes... did you ever see the TJ moms in yoga pants youtube video floating around, oh.. like 5 years ago? That was totally me without the income. Now? Not so much.
I can understand the packaging-to-food issue, though seems no worse than the real evils (ie, QFC, Safeway, Albertsons, Vons, Piggly-Wiggly (worse name eve), Krogers). I recall, TJ's plastic was found prominently the Pacific Ocean garbage patch. The barrels/bins at some alternative places like Sprouts (in SoCal) cut down on the packaging issues, provided they're clean of pantry moths and larva (though a source of non-infectious protein). Produce at TJs is not excellent but good enough and better than the standard grocery stores listed above. Year-round farmer's markets (in SoCal) are great, though that region is facing a big long-term drought issues.
But, what is the junk food issue with TJ's, as I look at the ingredients there and they seem generally excellently simple (cf. to the giant corporate food suppliers in any food category). Can you explain further, especially flyingsaucermom and others?? Where do you shop as alternative, ufomom and others??
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area