Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-24-2014, 02:30 AM

176 posts, read 299,801 times

Advertisements

If you mostly cook at home and take the buses.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2014, 06:00 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,576 posts, read 81,167,557 times
For my wife and I, with a big freezer, we spend about $400/month on groceries, mostly from Costco. We do eat out at a restaurant every week or two.

My employer subsidizes the Orca pass, but if you pay cash and remain within Seattle it's going to be about $100/month now, going up in 2015 to about $110.

Old 02-24-2014, 10:15 AM

6,033 posts, read 6,147,063 times
Who, me? $4,300 net/month is break-even. That is how much I "need" (more properly, need to spend based on choices I've made0 to cover the mortgage, food, utulities, transport, etc. Everything over-and-above is for investment and amusement.

You didn't specify any other parameters, so the previous is entirely arbitrary for a 15 year fixed home mortgage, home in a good area, plus other costs to live (live "well," I would say). Guess that's what you wanted, however.

Breaking down "transport," using IRS mileage rates for 2014, my vehicle costs are $44/week or $190/month, based on certain number of commute miles/week. Bus is free, with company-supplied ORCA pass, but usually doubles commute time so isn't always the best move. If "cost" were the primary constraint, it would be. Wasted "time" is more expensive, in my case.

(From other person's response, that free ORCA pass appears to be a $1,300/year perq. I'm grateful, and will use it more often spring-fall.)

IRS view on mileage is a complicated thing, that per-mile cost, some sort of smoothed seasonal average based on fuel costs, deprecation (perhaps), etc. Take with a grain of salt: I'm guessing at the previous. Depreciation on vehicles keeps on happening over time and with increasing mileage, regardless, so I'm betting that mileage rate needs to be personalized based on individual situation.

Old 02-26-2014, 12:01 AM

171 posts, read 355,867 times
You can eat as cheaply as you'd like. You can find the staples at reasonable prices. When I was single and didn't have a lot of money, I spent about $250 a month for food. I'd go out to restaurants a few times a month.

Depending on what part of the country you're coming from, you might find food prices in the NW to be higher than you're used to. Check out this cost of living calculator to see how the prices compare Moderator cut: link removed, linking to competitor sites is not allowed

Finally, if you are a drinker, don't forget to budget for the great array of microbrews and wines available in Seattle!

Last edited by Yac; 02-26-2014 at 06:49 AM..

Old 02-27-2014, 09:33 AM

21,876 posts, read 25,139,139 times
Roughly $200/month. I spent about $5/month on transportation a month in Seattle. Lived/worked in downtown, so it was easy enough to walk. West Seattle or U District it was faster to bike than take the bus. I used meetup, Seattle bicycle club, etc so when I went out of town for a weekend I could often find a seat in someone's car in exchange for some gas money. Other times I split the cost of renting a car with the fellow carless or just forked out the cash. Cheaper than owning and paying for insurance/parking. Of course, that was only to leave Seattle so that wouldn't count.

Old 02-27-2014, 09:51 AM

1,511 posts, read 1,973,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adham View Post
If you mostly cook at home and take the buses.
It's really hard to pin this down... where would you be living? How much would you ride the bus? Where would you be shopping? Are you talking about a comfortable lifestyle or a frugal one? When you do eat out what kind of places?

A single, frugal person could probably eat reasonably well on $150 a month if they shopped carefully and kept the dining out very cheap and rare. It would take planning and discipline, though.

As for the bus, it just depends on whether or not you have an pass card and/or what kind of distances you expect to cover.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area