U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-21-2014, 08:59 PM

12 posts, read 18,928 times

Advertisements

My husband and I currently live in Central Illinois. We are looking to relocate to Seattle after he is done getting his associates in the fall of 2015. My husband is getting his degree in multi-media production and is wanting to attend the Art Institute is Seattle. We have always been drawn to the west coast, but are looking at Seattle because of the technology aspect of the city. With my husband working in multi-media as well as having a background in web design and development the area is good for what he wants to do. I work as a 911 dispatcher so I can pretty much get a job anywhere. With the crime rate in Seattle I should be fine. lol

Anyway we are looking at the different neighborhoods and we want something cheap as far as rent $700-$900 range 1 bedroom. But not in an area that is really dangerous. We don't mind commuting into the city if we need to for works and school. But it would be nice to be close to the Art Institute campus for my husband. So far I have heard Ballard, Georgetown, and Beacon Hill are cheap but decent areas? Is this the case or would you suggest something else? We don't have kids of yet just a small dog, but we do want kids in the future. We are 24 years old but have been married for 4 years we are ok living in area that doesn't have a crazy night life. We are young but we are mellow for our age so the party night life scene is not really who we are. We are ok being around old married folk lol. We are pretty conservative in our views and we are practicing Christians. We know Seattle is very liberal we are expecting to be the minority in that regard.

Overall we are really excited about the move. We are wanting to come up in the fall to visit to get a better idea. We have a friend who lives downtown and we will be staying with her and she will be showing us around.

Thanks in advance for any advice it is greatly appreciated. =]
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2014, 09:36 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, originally from SF Bay Area
36,918 posts, read 67,268,850 times
Most all of Seattle is really safe compared to many other big cities, but there is nothing cheap. For 1 bedroom except in the worst run down areas, you will have to pay $1,200-1,400. You might be able to find a studio at the top of your price range, but not in Ballard, and the dog will make it harder and more expensive. Some places charge an additional deposit, others more per month. Belltown, lower Queen Anne or Interbay would be the most convenient location to the Art Institute, but the less expensive rent will be at the southern parts of the city.

Old 02-21-2014, 11:36 PM

5,075 posts, read 10,001,312 times
Well, I do know someone that rents a 1 br in Ballard for $825/mo, but it's unusual to find. You might want to try Greenwood which is a little to the NE of Ballard. There are older buildings with less expensive apartments in most neighborhoods, but finding them is not as simple as going on craigslist. Places with well below average rents don't have to advertise much. Beacon Hill and Georgetown are cheaper than Ballard, but have some sketchier parts. You might want to find a Mother in law apartment or ADU in a private house, converted garage, etc... if possible because of the dog. Renting with a dog, on a budget is kind of like trying to maintain an out of warranty BMW on a budget. It can be done but it's going to be a lot of work.

Old 02-22-2014, 12:13 AM

I am surprised to here you guys say that about the dog. I was wondering if it would be an issue. But everyone I talked so far have said if it is a small dog it is not to hard to find places to rent to you. After all people in Seattle have more animals than they do kids. Seattle is always written about as being very animal friendly especially to dogs with all the dog parks.

We have a dachshund she is 10lbs and won't be getting much bigger. We really don't want to get rid of her so if I have to live in a sketchier part of town to keep her then I guess I will sacrifice. =]

As far as rent prices go we have a friend who has lived downtown for 4 years she pays $900 for her studio. But she has been mugged once so it is a win lose situation.

Old 02-22-2014, 07:36 AM

208 posts, read 331,180 times
Mkarch, you say that places that are below the average rents do not have to advertise. How does one find these deals?

I am not adverse to renting a temporary place, so we can find exactly where and what we want. But, the question is, once we are there, how do we find the place? Do many people place for rent signs in the yard? Are there newspapers that would have rental listings? Where else besides craigslist do we find a rental?

Old 02-22-2014, 08:55 AM

5,075 posts, read 10,001,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mamainfl View Post
Mkarch, you say that places that are below the average rents do not have to advertise. How does one find these deals?

I am not adverse to renting a temporary place, so we can find exactly where and what we want. But, the question is, once we are there, how do we find the place? Do many people place for rent signs in the yard? Are there newspapers that would have rental listings? Where else besides craigslist do we find a rental?
The less expensive places just put out a sign saying they have an apartment available, or they get referrals from existing tenants and neighbors who know about the potential vacancy ahead of time.

A small dog will be easier to rent with than a large one. A large portion of rentals are 'no pets', so that's the easiest to find. Following that, cat only is second easiest, then small dog, then big dog and/or multiple pets, and last is dangerous breed - which might be practically impossible to rent with.

People here do have a lot of pets on average, but they also pay above average rent to keep them.

Old 02-22-2014, 09:00 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, originally from SF Bay Area
36,918 posts, read 67,268,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mamainfl View Post

The demand is so high now that people do not need to spend money posting ads to rent their apartments if they are at reasonable rent. They will pop a sign in the window and rent it that day. I have a couple of friends that recently moved. One got a 2 BR condo in Ballard ($1,650/mo.) by a friend telling him they were moving out, and giving him the landlord's name and number. Another was driving by and saw people loading a rental truck, and asked them for the landlord information, called and got it. There are very few rental listings in the newspaper, more on Craigslist, but those can be scams, including people that take your deposit on a place they don't own. As for dogs, yes, this is a dog-friendly area, but landlords prefer people without dogs due to fear of damage, and liability. If it's between you with a dog, and someone else with equal credit/income and no dog, they will most likely choose the others.

Old 02-22-2014, 10:09 AM

Overall what are the neighborhoods you would say we should stay away from. Cause they are just scary or nasty?

Old 02-22-2014, 12:06 PM

7 posts, read 10,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
The demand is so high now that people do not need to spend money posting ads to rent their apartments if they are at reasonable rent. They will pop a sign in the window and rent it that day. I have a couple of friends that recently moved. One got a 2 BR condo in Ballard ($1,650/mo.) by a friend telling him they were moving out, and giving him the landlord's name and number. Another was driving by and saw people loading a rental truck, and asked them for the landlord information, called and got it. There are very few rental listings in the newspaper, more on Craigslist, but those can be scams, including people that take your deposit on a place they don't own. As for dogs, yes, this is a dog-friendly area, but landlords prefer people without dogs due to fear of damage, and liability. If it's between you with a dog, and someone else with equal credit/income and no dog, they will most likely choose the others.
Do you have any suggestions for someone looking for a 2 BR before they move up to Seattle? We are coming from SF and so far have only resorted to using Craigslist/Zillow to find places. If there's a way we can find a place (for a reasonable price) before its even advertised on Craigslist that would be ideal!

Old 02-22-2014, 12:11 PM

7 posts, read 10,309 times
Also! We are looking at areas near Queen Anne-- some of the more affordable units are near Taylor Ave / Aurora Ave. I have read on here that those areas can be quite seedy. Is this true for the Eastern Queen Anne area, too?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area