Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-24-2014, 12:16 PM

2 posts, read 7,072 times

Advertisements

Hi, this is cross-posted from the Spokane forum but it's a bit urgent. Thanks in advance for any help. I have to take a trip tomorrow driving from Spokane to Seattle. As might be obvious if you're in the Spokane area, it's pouring snow, and I don't have all-wheel or four-wheel drive, so I'm worried about going through the Snoqualmie or Stevens Pass. I've been told going through Portland is the safest route, but nearly doubles the drive-time. I'm okay with that since I don't want to die, but I was wondering if anyone here has experience driving any other routes through WA that are relatively safe that would not require going all the way south through Portland. I found the WSDOT site that has all the cameras over the pass, so I know I can check that in the morning, but weather forecasts don't look good for a drive tomorrow. I appreciate any and all help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2014, 01:38 PM

6,033 posts, read 6,140,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seagegliver View Post
Hi, this is cross-posted from the Spokane forum but it's a bit urgent. Thanks in advance for any help. I have to take a trip tomorrow driving from Spokane to Seattle. As might be obvious if you're in the Spokane area, it's pouring snow, and I don't have all-wheel or four-wheel drive, so I'm worried about going through the Snoqualmie or Stevens Pass. I've been told going through Portland is the safest route, but nearly doubles the drive-time. I'm okay with that since I don't want to die, but I was wondering if anyone here has experience driving any other routes through WA that are relatively safe that would not require going all the way south through Portland. I found the WSDOT site that has all the cameras over the pass, so I know I can check that in the morning, but weather forecasts don't look good for a drive tomorrow. I appreciate any and all help!
Call me conservative in thinking, but I'm a fan of hedging bets when it comes to driving over stuff like that. Others wing it, and do just fine. Who knows, you might, or may be stopped somewhere due to lack of preparation if you go straight through. Since heavy rain is forecast for Seattle later Monday, guessing Stevens and Snoqualmie are about to be buried yet again.

If it's "urgent," take a Horizon flight. For grins, just pinged Horizon flights and it's about $400 r/t, leaving tomorrow and staying a week. Buying the ticket, uh, like right now. Per IRS mileage rates...if one takes that as a set of accurate assumptions about cost per mile...driving is $289 in fuel/wear and tear "each way", assuming the 515 mile route was taken both ways, thus flying may be smarter money.

Guess I'm puzzled: living in Spokane and not having snow tires during the winter? Assuming that is place of residence, of course. I don't live there, but further "assumed" that would be how people there roll c. Nov - Feb. I try and get away with NOT mounting them in Seattle, and mostly get away with it, though this limits driving opportunities outside of the metro area c. November-February.

Last edited by Blondebaerde; 02-24-2014 at 02:18 PM..

Old 02-24-2014, 02:02 PM

456 posts, read 773,950 times
Make sure you have chains for your car. That should compensate for the lack of traction tires or all wheel drive if conditions deteriorate. FWIW: we drove through the passes last weekend during the previous storm and made it through all right without having to chain up. You could also dial 511 along the way to get updates on the conditions.
Ben
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area