Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Tacoma vs. Bellevue
Tacoma 27 46.55%
Bellevue 31 53.45%
Voters: 58. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-06-2014, 04:36 PM

3,009 posts, read 3,642,528 times

Advertisements

All I have to say is lets be real for a second if you have kids Bellevue has the best schools in the state hands down.

I hope Bellevue get an NHL team i think that would be cool but that is just me.

I do like Tacoma and some parts of Tacoma are better then others .

This is an interesting read..............

FBI Releases 2012 Crime Statistics for Washington State
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2014, 06:31 PM

24 posts, read 37,270 times
Certainly the best schools are on the Eastside, you can largely just put your kid in the system and know that they will get a good education. There are lots of great schools in other parts of the state, but it seems to me like the parents have to be a bit more involved to get the most for their kid. Especially with large bureaucratic systems like the Seattle School District.

And regarding safety, obviously Bellevue is one of the safest places since it is very affluent and has little density, but those statistics are misleading. If you look at the Tacoma crime map, you notice that the bottom of the map is just a giant blob of criminal activity while the northern side only has a few property crimes scattered around. Living in the northern or western parts of Tacoma seems pretty similar to living in one of Seattle's northern neighborhoods crime wise. Just can't leave your laptop on the seat in your unlocked car like you can in Sammamish.

Old 03-07-2014, 12:03 AM

3,533 posts, read 5,830,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teeth Price View Post
Now people are just being mean. Why can't we just recognize that no side is better than the other: both just suit different people. I grew up on the Eastside and now live in Seattle and I really do enjoy both areas. I personally prefer the Seattle side primarily because the neighborhoods have that pre-WWII aesthetic that just appeals to me. I simply prefer older areas to new ones, but I know many people who find the older aesthetic gloomy and much prefer the newer feeling of Bellevue. Point is, no side is better, just pick the one YOU prefer.

Now let's get this thread back on track. With what I said above about my preferences, it shouldn't be much of a surprise that I would pick NORTH Tacoma over Bellevue. Again, I just love the feeling of that part of Tacoma and it is a side of Tacoma that very few people in Seattle know exists. Tacoma certainly has its seedy parts, but the non-seedy areas have a lot going for them in my opinion. Great scenery, historic homes, and it seems to me like the restaurant scene is slowly getting better. Bellevue certainly has more amenities, but I really feel like more people will look to Tacoma as a more affordable alternative to the Seattle-Bellevue Area provided there are enough jobs in the area. I am optimistic about Tacoma.
I respect your post, Teeth, but you have a few things wrong... First of all, Seattle has been destroying most of its older buildings and replacing them with bland, sterile commercial and residential corporate housing. To me, that is even worse than anything. To wipe out a cities history to sterilize it with modern buildings. At least places like Bellevue or sprawled out suburban (now becoming more urban) growth that are suppose to be modern looking. One thing I really respect about East Coast and Midwest cities, as well as San Francisco is how they manage to keep most of the traditional buildings and old architecture intact, where they would renovate or upgrade old buildings rather than demolish them. Sadly, Seattle's solutions to dealing with old buildings is demolishing them and building cheaply made, overpriced, ugly corporate housing or business offices out of them. As much as I love Seattle's modern looking downtown, the rest of the city has become so bland and feels like its history ha been raped. Portland managed to keep many of the older historic buildings alive in its downtown, despite the urban growth. To me, that is one thing I hate about Seattle is how much of an eyesore all those new condos are.

Another thing you have wrong is thinking living in North Tacoma is cheaper than living in Seattle or Bellevue. Actually, North Tacoma easily rivals many of the more expensive neighborhoods in Seattle and it is home to mostly affluent class of people. The parts of Tacoma that are affordable are not as desirable to live. EVen the 6th Ave area has become more expensive and still has a lot of crime, although not as much violent crime as you would have in South Tacoma. The 6th Ave and Stadium areas are definitely better economical options, but they still have a sketchy feel to them. Have you ever walked around the park in Stadium District and seen all the mentally deranged people walking around? I was told there is mental institution nearby and when it overfills they just dump them on the street.

North Tacoma definitely wins for views.. I don't think you can beat the scenery of Tacoma. Tacoma has better mountain and water scenery than anywhere in Seattle and Bellevue. The city does have a lot of potential. The downtown is charming and historic and the view of Mt Rainier is next to none.

As far as food, Tacoma just sucks... As far as culture, Tacoma sucks even more.. Unless you are blue collar white or black American or Hispanic you will feel like an outcast in Tacoma. There is its grungy hipster scene. The hipsters in Tacoma act lot more tougher and grungy than the ones in Seattle. Obviously, many of them despite their new-agey progressive looks still hold on to their gritty, blue collar Tacoma roots.

Old 03-07-2014, 01:16 AM

24 posts, read 37,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RotseCherut View Post
I respect your post, Teeth, but you have a few things wrong... First of all, Seattle has been destroying most of its older buildings and replacing them with bland, sterile commercial and residential corporate housing. To me, that is even worse than anything. To wipe out a cities history to sterilize it with modern buildings. At least places like Bellevue or sprawled out suburban (now becoming more urban) growth that are suppose to be modern looking. One thing I really respect about East Coast and Midwest cities, as well as San Francisco is how they manage to keep most of the traditional buildings and old architecture intact, where they would renovate or upgrade old buildings rather than demolish them. Sadly, Seattle's solutions to dealing with old buildings is demolishing them and building cheaply made, overpriced, ugly corporate housing or business offices out of them. As much as I love Seattle's modern looking downtown, the rest of the city has become so bland and feels like its history ha been raped. Portland managed to keep many of the older historic buildings alive in its downtown, despite the urban growth. To me, that is one thing I hate about Seattle is how much of an eyesore all those new condos are.

Another thing you have wrong is thinking living in North Tacoma is cheaper than living in Seattle or Bellevue. Actually, North Tacoma easily rivals many of the more expensive neighborhoods in Seattle and it is home to mostly affluent class of people. The parts of Tacoma that are affordable are not as desirable to live. EVen the 6th Ave area has become more expensive and still has a lot of crime, although not as much violent crime as you would have in South Tacoma. The 6th Ave and Stadium areas are definitely better economical options, but they still have a sketchy feel to them. Have you ever walked around the park in Stadium District and seen all the mentally deranged people walking around? I was told there is mental institution nearby and when it overfills they just dump them on the street.

North Tacoma definitely wins for views.. I don't think you can beat the scenery of Tacoma. Tacoma has better mountain and water scenery than anywhere in Seattle and Bellevue. The city does have a lot of potential. The downtown is charming and historic and the view of Mt Rainier is next to none.

As far as food, Tacoma just sucks... As far as culture, Tacoma sucks even more.. Unless you are blue collar white or black American or Hispanic you will feel like an outcast in Tacoma. There is its grungy hipster scene. The hipsters in Tacoma act lot more tougher and grungy than the ones in Seattle. Obviously, many of them despite their new-agey progressive looks still hold on to their gritty, blue collar Tacoma roots.
I should clarify that I was not talking about downtown, but the neighborhoods of Seattle where I (and most people I know) spend most of their time outside of an office building. Even living in Seattle, I rarely go downtown other then for work. I was talking more about streets like Ballard Ave where many of the original buildings are still there, and especially the neighborhoods where by and large most of the houses are from the 1910's and 1920's. I also see all the bland condos going up in those areas and it sucks aesthetically; however, my argument was not to compare Seattle to an East Coast city (which would be foolish) but to compare it only to Bellevue, which makes Seattle feel very historic in my eyes.

Now in regards to the feeling of Tacoma it seems like you have much more experience as I have only ever been a visitor. Maybe I am over optimistic about Tacoma's food scene because the last few food experiences I have had have all been very good. But again, I do not have enough experience to speak on this.

However when it comes to real estate, I completely disagree. Just go compare the two areas on Red Fin and you will see. Just recently I saw a well maintained, 1920's Craftsman home with 4 bed/3 bath just north of the Proctor District with sweeping views of the water and a large lot for $530,000. In one of Seattle's more desirable areas, $500,000 gets you a maintained 3 bed/1.5 bath on a small lot with no view. Obviously $530,000 is not cheap, but it is a bargain for what I at least see in Seattle.

Old 09-07-2016, 01:30 AM

765 posts, read 898,859 times
Taking a moment to revive this thread. Of course I am a Tacoma fan all the way, born and raised, so maybe I am biased. I'm taking a look at, not only how far Tacoma has come just within the last decade, but the future projects that will undeniably change Tacoma forever.

I'll start by talking about where Tacoma is currently. The art/ entrepreneur scene is at the forefront of the city's culture paired with industrial gritty ambience. The majority of people here are skilled and quirky and that may have came from the lack of wealth and interest in the area not very long ago. It is cool to be here. Our friends to the north may crap on Tacoma, but little do they know the city has completely rebranded itself and has done away with any outdated stereotypes. Downtown is blossoming, as well as the many different districts that call Tacoma home.

The future is clear, investors see promise in Tacoma. Downtown there are two proposed skyscrapers, multiple new mixed use midrises throughout the city, beer halls, light rail expansion, 200,000 new square feet of retail downtown, university of washington tacoma expansion, point ruston, new/ extended bus routes, and a lower cost of living than seattle.

The entrepreneurial culture that has developed here is quite amazing to see and I think Tacoma has recognized its potential and is letting the world know.

Since we're comparing to Bellevue, aside from wealth, what does Bellevue have going for it? The Spring District looks like a great development but I don't think it compares to Tacoma.

Old 09-07-2016, 02:50 PM

426 posts, read 526,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blaserbrad View Post
Since we're comparing to Bellevue, aside from wealth, what does Bellevue have going for it?
Probably its biggest plus is its proximity to downtown Seattle, Mercer Island, Kirkland, Issaquah, Redmond, and everything those places have to offer. Schools too, of course.

Tacoma is definitely more affordable and is getting nicer. But if you're comparing just on what those two cities have to offer, let's be real

Old 09-07-2016, 06:42 PM

1,054 posts, read 1,041,898 times
Tacoma is cheaper.

Old 09-07-2016, 07:05 PM

9,618 posts, read 27,342,201 times
If money was no object, schools weren't an issue, and no commute was involved, I'd probably pick Tacoma. Because it's got some beautiful neighborhoods like Old Town, and insanely great mountain and water views.

Old 09-07-2016, 07:40 PM

765 posts, read 898,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CityWok View Post
Probably its biggest plus is its proximity to downtown Seattle, Mercer Island, Kirkland, Issaquah, Redmond, and everything those places have to offer. Schools too, of course.

Tacoma is definitely more affordable and is getting nicer. But if you're comparing just on what those two cities have to offer, let's be real
Yes let's be real. What does Bellevue have to offer? I think it's a great city but no charm, character, districts, creativity. To each their own. I don't like suburban living and I would rather spend time in Tacoma's downtown than Bellevue's any day. Also Tacoma is for the most part independent of Seattle, it has it's own history and economy. I'd suggest a visit, it might surprise you. Also, maybe I'm completely wrong, where should I go in Bellevue? To be honest I've only spent time downtown and visited some friend's in a single family home

Old 09-07-2016, 07:52 PM

8,071 posts, read 8,365,584 times
Tacoma is what Seattle used to be. A gritty, funky, quirky blue-collar town.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area