Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-06-2014, 09:33 AM

21,989 posts, read 15,713,056 times

Advertisements

I am so sorry you have to go through that sort of thing, it's ridiculous. You have a great looking family and would make a very nice addition to Woodinville, though I know that's not on your list. Wishing you the best and hoping you don't miss those pool parties! What we lack in sunny beach weather we make up for in year round greenery.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2014, 10:11 AM

279 posts, read 480,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seacove View Post
I am so sorry you have to go through that sort of thing, it's ridiculous. You have a great looking family and would make a very nice addition to Woodinville, though I know that's not on your list. Wishing you the best and hoping you don't miss those pool parties! What we lack in sunny beach weather we make up for in year round greenery.

Actually I really like Woodinville. We looked at some properties there as well as Hollywood Hills. LOVED IT all. Just a little too suburbia for me! We want a life change. We want to be city people. or at least try it

Also thank you for the wonderful comments. People like you are who we want to be around.

Old 03-06-2014, 10:32 AM

338 posts, read 847,861 times
I don't have any advice for you guys, being that we moved here last year ourselves, but I just wanted to say welcome when you get here. I left a conservative, anti-gay h*ll-hole called Texas and I've never looked back. I absolutely love, love, love the intelligence and open-mindedness up here. Not to mention the natural beauty of the state. While not gay, the one thing my husband and I have been trying to do since we got here is encourage our gay friends stuck in Texas to flee and come here. This place is just so accepting. I can't imagine you running into too many hate-mongers.

I hope your family finds a home soon and that you are happy here.

Old 03-07-2014, 03:08 AM

1,927 posts, read 1,901,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seattlefun View Post
I have explored explored and explored some more. I have been up at least three times a year for the last few years. I think I'm officially an eagle scout now! ~
Sounds like you're paralyzed by indecision. You've done plenty of research, enough to decide on a neighborhood, yet you're still undecided, afraid of making the wrong choice. So you keep on researching and researching, so as to avoid making a decision. Perhaps hoping against hope that some previously unknown tidbit of information will settle the issue for you.

But there comes a time when you know all you can know, and must finally decide.

Old 03-07-2014, 10:19 AM

47 posts, read 70,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seattlefun View Post
She didn't know what to do. I'm not contagious! I mean there is no way in earth I can spread this faaaaaabulousness by just breathing on you. I promise you wont catch the rainbow. There will be no sparkles in your home. Unicorns won't come knock on your door. NONE of this stuff will happen.
LOL!!

I love the support on this thread. Way to go, Greater Seattle!

Last edited by tee el cee; 03-07-2014 at 10:27 AM..

Old 03-07-2014, 10:27 AM

47 posts, read 70,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blondebaerde View Post
My opinion (yet another one: no real facts, just instincts) is the family should rent in Kirkland or Bellevue a year or so, get a bit settled-in, explore the social scene (kids involved in activities and etc.), find time to hang out in various areas, and only then decide where to purchase.
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoNansea View Post
I moved here from Seal Beach, California two years ago. I love it! And hope I never have to live in California again. I strongly suggest renting for at least a year. Once you've lived here for a little while, you will be able to cross certain areas off your list as you will know better what doesn't work for you. There are so many areas here that are appealing, it's difficult to decide where to buy.
I noticed that both of you said "a year" or more. I had been thinking about shorter term rentals. Not enough time to get to know the area or just too hard to find?? We have a 5 year old.

Old 03-07-2014, 02:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinema Cat View Post
Sounds like you're paralyzed by indecision. You've done plenty of research, enough to decide on a neighborhood, yet you're still undecided, afraid of making the wrong choice. So you keep on researching and researching, so as to avoid making a decision. Perhaps hoping against hope that some previously unknown tidbit of information will settle the issue for you.

But there comes a time when you know all you can know, and must finally decide.

OMG.... I think you are on to something here! You are so correct! You wouldn't happen to have the phone number to a good therapist? hahaha No seriously!

I think because this is the largest decision we have ever had to make... (selling homes, business's, moving family, etc.) We are freaking out! It's not like we have a job transfer or anything motivating us to move other than our own personal interest. We are giving up a lot to do this. So I think possibly the hesitation is stemming from that.

Old 03-08-2014, 12:14 AM

768 posts, read 718,778 times
seattlefun~ I too am sorry you've had to endure people's ignorant & offensive comments & behavior. I find people in Seattle to be more cerebral, generally speaking, than in southern California.

I apologize for MY ignorance re Laguna Beach. You're right. I haven't spent any time there since 1998. I would never have thought it would change so much.

I kept my house in Seal Beach & am renting it out. So I am renting a house here in Shoreline. I think Shoreline would be too tame for you. There might be a requirement of being over 50 to live here. I'm not sure tho because I rarely see anyone leave their homes. I call the cul-de-sac I'm in The Circle of the Dead.

I will be moving. I'm going to look at Bainbridge Island, Richmond, Blue Ridge & maybe Fall City to start. I also love Laurelhurst & Magnolia. My problem is where I want to live & the type of home I prefer doesn't usually have rentals. When there is a rental where I'd like to be, they want an astronomical amount of money!

There are just so many great areas to live up here, it's difficult to decide. I get that you want good schools (Bellevue) & accepting families (difficult to pinpoint) but what else would make you feel like you've made the best decision of your life? Do you want a view? A view of the Sound? A view of Lake Washington? A view of the mountains? Do you want to be on the water? Which body of water? Will you have a boat? Do you want ocean access? And so on. I guess you'll just have to meditate or relax about it & let it happen.

It's hard to choose for you because you're so full of energy, witty, fun, expressive it seems you need to be in the city, but having a family, you want to be around families. I just don't know what to suggest. You need IRA.

I look forward to your arrival to your new home. We're going to hold you to the party when you're finally here.

To tee el cee: Lease offerings are 12 months up here typically. I've never seen a 6 month lease then month to month advertised here. Perhaps there might be something less than 12 months offered near UW? Idk. Also, there's a thing about moving in the summer - it's preferable. And many people use Craigslist here for renting. I didn't feel too safe about using it, but it is how I found the house I'm in now.

To fellow Seal Beach lovers: I feel very guilty when I complain about southern California as I was so fortunate to live in such a great place. As much as I tried not to go outside the town, sometimes it was necessary & the reality of living in a concrete covered, desert-like, crowded, trafficky over-taxed, over-regulated state would set in.

Old 03-08-2014, 05:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoNansea View Post
seattlefun~ I too am sorry you've had to endure people's ignorant & offensive comments & behavior. I find people in Seattle to be more cerebral, generally speaking, than in southern California.

I apologize for MY ignorance re Laguna Beach. You're right. I haven't spent any time there since 1998. I would never have thought it would change so much.

I kept my house in Seal Beach & am renting it out. So I am renting a house here in Shoreline. I think Shoreline would be too tame for you. There might be a requirement of being over 50 to live here. I'm not sure tho because I rarely see anyone leave their homes. I call the cul-de-sac I'm in The Circle of the Dead.

I will be moving. I'm going to look at Bainbridge Island, Richmond, Blue Ridge & maybe Fall City to start. I also love Laurelhurst & Magnolia. My problem is where I want to live & the type of home I prefer doesn't usually have rentals. When there is a rental where I'd like to be, they want an astronomical amount of money!

There are just so many great areas to live up here, it's difficult to decide. I get that you want good schools (Bellevue) & accepting families (difficult to pinpoint) but what else would make you feel like you've made the best decision of your life? Do you want a view? A view of the Sound? A view of Lake Washington? A view of the mountains? Do you want to be on the water? Which body of water? Will you have a boat? Do you want ocean access? And so on. I guess you'll just have to meditate or relax about it & let it happen.

It's hard to choose for you because you're so full of energy, witty, fun, expressive it seems you need to be in the city, but having a family, you want to be around families. I just don't know what to suggest. You need IRA.

I look forward to your arrival to your new home. We're going to hold you to the party when you're finally here.

To tee el cee: Lease offerings are 12 months up here typically. I've never seen a 6 month lease then month to month advertised here. Perhaps there might be something less than 12 months offered near UW? Idk. Also, there's a thing about moving in the summer - it's preferable. And many people use Craigslist here for renting. I didn't feel too safe about using it, but it is how I found the house I'm in now.

To fellow Seal Beach lovers: I feel very guilty when I complain about southern California as I was so fortunate to live in such a great place. As much as I tried not to go outside the town, sometimes it was necessary & the reality of living in a concrete covered, desert-like, crowded, trafficky over-taxed, over-regulated state would set in.

No need to apologize. Sometimes we remember areas a certain way. Evolution happens! I remember a few of my high school buddies from 25 years ago. Crazy as it sounds... They don't look the same as I remember them ~ Now that they ruined my fantasy...

"The Circle of the Dead". I totally get it. We have a home in Palm springs. I call that place the "gay graveyard". I think you need to be at least 400 years old to retire in Palm Springs.

Our biggest issue is that we want Urban style living but we want the Suburban style home. Very difficult to accomplish. I think we narrowed our search to Queen Anne and Capitol Hill areas. I have had views of the Pacific Ocean for the last 15 years. They are exciting the first 2 years then the novelty wears off. Now I would like a view of an incredibly hot next door neighbor that walks around naked. (oh wait.. is that too much for this forum) I don't care about much except for good schools and a good neighborhood and I don't want to live next to an apartment or multi-residential.

Me witty? You make me blush! Now I'm gonna get all shy on you

I think I do need, want, desire Ira's........ help!

If I say I'm gonna throw a party.... I will! I'm going to definitely invite my CD friends. All invite the seedy ones after I have the CD one's over... or maybe I can mix the two!

It's funny that you feel guilty about complaining about Seal Beach. I'm sitting inside the house right now after driving down PCH. It's 80 degrees out today. wtf am i doing? I should be out enjoying the weather.... right? Well some say yes! I say I'd rather be in an environment that I appreciate. Don't feel guilty over anything other than not saying "i love you" to your loved ones!

Old 03-08-2014, 11:41 PM

2,547 posts, read 4,229,133 times
Aw, your kids are adorable!

We're moving to Seattle this summer from SF Bay Area, and we decided to rent in Bellevue for the first year or two and then decide. To me, Bellevue has the best of both worlds in terms of a very urbanish, lively feel with great schools, and the downtown is extremely walkable. However, I understand that you don't want an apartment. I understand your hesitation to rent first, we have a 4 year old boy too and I didn't want to do an extra move and possibly switch schools after he starts; however, as I realized from experience, it's extremely risky to be buying from out of state. There are things about a place that you can't know until you live there, and the best way is to go around and get a real feel for the different areas.

I have heard not-so-good things about Seattle's school district, even in areas like Queen Anne, unless you're planning to go private. Something about the district being poorly managed and not funded well; I think there's a thread around here on it if you search.

In any case, wherever you decide to settle, good luck, and invite us to your party! You guys sound like a fantastic fun family!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area