Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-08-2014, 01:22 PM

5,152 posts, read 8,528,010 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RotseCherut View Post
Stay in the East Coast , don't come to Seattle.. It rains too much here, too expensive, the food sucks,
Did I convince you?
#1 place in America for seafood and Asian food, now if you want BBQ, that's a different story.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2014, 04:09 PM

1,314 posts, read 2,054,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beenhereandthere View Post
...now if you want BBQ, that's a different story.
Not necessarily. I read they may be bringing back the McRib.

Old 03-08-2014, 05:46 PM

3,533 posts, read 5,831,396 times
Quote:
#1 place in America for seafood and Asian food, now if you want BBQ, that's a different story.
Doubt Seattle can surpass San Francisco for Asian food, but the Asian food here is decent, although I thought was better in Los Angeles, in the ethnic Asian neighborhoods there.. My Uncle's Wife was Vietnamese so I did get to experience quite a bit of ethnic cuisine when visiting him down there.

Yeah, I am sure Seattle is great for Seafood, but because I don't really eat seafood, I will never really know or be able to experience that part of Seattle's cuisine.

BBQ in Seattle?? BLEH... Pinky's BBQ is passable and ok for a semi-fast food BBQ place, but every other BBQ place I been is abominable.

Seattle/Bellevue have a few decent Indian places, especially Bellevue.

Old 03-08-2014, 06:03 PM

4,038 posts, read 4,863,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RotseCherut View Post
Doubt Seattle can surpass San Francisco for Asian food, but the Asian food here is decent, although I thought was better in Los Angeles, in the ethnic Asian neighborhoods there.. My Uncle's Wife was Vietnamese so I did get to experience quite a bit of ethnic cuisine when visiting him down there.
Cali's definitely the best for East Asian food, along with NYC. Seattle wins at seafood. The U Dist had a good Indian restaurant on Roosevelt Way. I don't know if they survived this recession (or whatever it is).

Old 03-09-2014, 12:55 AM

719 posts, read 987,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Plokivos View Post
Thinking about moving to Seattle from DC. Give me some good reasons!~

about me. Fed contractor, six figure, single, mid 30's, designer, and pseudo IT expert (know enough to be dangerous), and have a dog who likes being in open just like me.

DC:

1. I've had it with these 4 year snow-pocalypse. I'm basically a shut in during the winter, because it's so cold.
Seattle doesn't experience snow often, true, but it handles what little it gets far worse than D.C. When we get snow here, people LOSE THEIR MINDS. Like, you'll see people try to power their way up steep hills in 2WD vehicles only to come ping-ponging their way down seconds later. It's not pretty. Also, as you may be aware, it rains here a fair amount (not more than D.C., but it tends to be spread out over long durations). So while the winters here may be slightly less 'severe' (not to be confused with true severe winters like in Boston) than D.C., they last longer.

Quote:
2. I've been up and down east coast all my life. DC is sort of the middle point
for all the NE and SE extremes
Not sure what you're driving a here, but Seattle will definitely constitute a massive visual and cultural change from the east coast.

Quote:
3. Jobs are good here, if you know where to look. I've been in corporate for
about 12 years, before I because a fed contractor. Have done a lot, good rep,
etc.
A federal contractor doing what?

Quote:
4. Haven't been involved in too much crimes, but then again, I lived in Atlanta
for all my life
Which is to say you have been involved in a few? o.O Well, anyway, no, Seattle is not known for high crime.

Quote:
5. DC traffic is probably the worst. 10 mile drive takes about 2 hours or more
everyday, going in to DC
One similarity Seattle shares with our nation's capital, unfortunately, is notoriously bad traffic. And unlike in D.C., Seattle has no legitimate metro analog to ferry the masses in and out. If you're used to the mass transit in places like D.C., Philly, New York or Boston, Seattle is going to come as a shock.

Quote:
6. Rent is ridiculous. currently paying something like $2k for 900 sq ft 1/1
apartment.
If you plan on living in Seattle proper, you won't do much better (unless you plan to live in a slum). However, the suburbs have much cheaper housing.

Quote:
7. Food is pretty good here. There are tons of place where you can find good
food and drinks
Every place has good food. Seattle is known for its Teriyaki (and supposedly its seafood, but having had New England seafood, Seattle falls flat in this department for everything but Salmon). D.C. is know for... uh... not food? So this will likely be an improvement in that department.

Old 03-09-2014, 06:16 AM

217 posts, read 411,564 times
Quote:
whoa, says who? Asian food, maybe. But seafood? I really need to know how this source decided so. I'm assuming that means seafood for people who drop $200-$300/meal? Bc we've tried somewhere between 9-10 seafood places here, and they all sucked. None of them were cheap. Overcooked across the board and bland. There are many excellent markets where you can buy your own to cook, and that's a huge plus. It's a really classist thing here considering how crazy abundant it is.

People get really hung up about food, and freak out if you say anything negative. I will say this: expect dense food cooked in thick, heavy sauces. Exceptions exist but it's trial and error.

OP, it's a fantastic place if you're ok with the bad stuff and personally love all the good stuff. If you don't care for hiking, the woods, hills, etc and love the beach in summer - expect to be disappointed.

COL is lower here and crime is a drastic difference from DC. Parts of DC have sketched me out worse than any other metro area I've been in. Seattle is quaint in comparison. The people are less showy, but they're still snobs about certain things. Just different ones than DC.

Overall though I think it's pretty amazing and would not go back to the East Coast.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area