Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-12-2014, 12:56 PM

5 posts, read 5,306 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
You don't want to move north OF the city, you may want to move north within the city. Ravenna's a good bet. The commute from Queen Anne isn't really do-able. Complicated bus transfers would be necessary, too time-consuming. The commute from Ravenna is pretty quick and easy, a straight shot through the University District to Eastlake.

You might also want to consider Montlake, which is a neighborhood off the southeast corner of the University of WA campus. I don't know if they have many apartment buildings there, but you may find a mother-in-law apartment in someone's home, on a tree-lined street. This neighborhood borders Lake Washington on one side, and is close to Eastlake. I'm not sure of the bus routing there, but there must be something that follows the south border of the campus to Eastlake.

In-between Ravenna and Greenlake is the Roosevelt district. This also has shops and grocery, but it's a little run-down. It's convenient, but not that attractive, imo.

So, immediately north of the University District, you have Ravenna, Roosevelt, and Greenlake, from east to west. (All with bus svce. to Eastlake.) Those and Montlake would be the closest to your work. North of the first three is Maple Leaf, also a nice area, though depending on where you are, shopping isn't quite as convenient. You could conceivably live on Capitol Hill (a more urban environment, rather than somewhat suburban, like the others), but the bus service from there to Eastlake can be a little iffy. For some reason, the buses there often don't run on time.

I think those are your best options. If you go farther north than Maple Leaf, the bus service is more sporadic, especially evenings and weekends.
Thanks for the tips!

I talked to my company, could negotiate a higher salary and got some more information. They will pay for an apartment for my 1st month in the city, so I will have some extra time to find a place for myself. The place is in SLU, they said I can walk to work. It seems my net pay will be $1,400/week so I really want to keep my rent around $1,800/month.

From what HR told me and some research about the transit options in Seattle, it looks like Ravenna and Greenlake are my best bets for an easy commute (just 1 bus, no transfers). I really want to stay in an more urban area, where I can walk to groceries, restaurants, shopping. I will have a car but would like to use it just for weekend trips, unless necessary. I will be travelling to Seattle later in April for 1 week and will try to check all the suggested areas. More important for me is 1) safety, 2) scenic, 3) "urban/walkable". I hope I can find something with this budget, Seattle is quite expensive!

Queen Anne looks awesome, I really like what I saw online... but I know I will need a car if I move there, sigh. Same with Montlake, very nice area.

Thanks everyone!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2014, 07:13 PM

70 posts, read 123,831 times
Your calculations on your take home are accurate - I'd guess slightly over 5K net per month. There's no income tax in Washington State.

I wouldn't call Green Lake urban personally - it's more like one of the original Seattle suburbs. The Green Lake Park itself is overrated IMO. Magnolia is pretty much the same story (although they have the great Discovery Park), but there aren't a lot of apartments there.

You can find single bedroom apartments right on Queen Anne Ave in Upper Queen Anne for under $2K, and it would have the amenities and short commute that you are looking for. You can also probably do OK in Lower Queen Anne or one of the newer apartment buildings in SLU, which is even more urban and walkable, but you get the small rise in crime that accompanies that.

Old 03-13-2014, 05:52 PM

102,110 posts, read 107,284,053 times
Well, if your job is in South Lake Union, you might be able to live on Queen Anne and have an easy commute. You'll see when you get there. And you'll LOVE Ravenna and Green Lake! Scenic, walkable, quiet, convenient to amenities, each has a big park with walking paths, tree-lined streets.

However, if work is in south Lake Union, Queene Anne but also the west part of Downtown (known as Belltown) could work. Belltown is part improved condos (near waterfront, views, downtown farmer's market for shopping, part homeless facilities. A mixed bag. But within walking distance of so. lake union.

Congrats on the higher salary, and the free apt. the first month!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area