Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-03-2014, 12:13 AM

2,011 posts, read 3,448,785 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inkpoe View Post
You'd be surprised.

My mother lives in Bellevue where we have the perfect view of Mt. Rainer and the Newcastle golf club. I can still remember when it was all trees (where the club is located). When it officially opened and held a tournament, my youthful ignorance led me to believe that hardly anyone would show up. Well, maybe some old folks. Psssh, the amount of people that showed up and the variety in ages really surprised me.

It is the US Open... which is a very big deal. The popularity has never waned and its actually getting more popular. People will show up for that. The price of those tickets won't be a big deal. It's professional sports... seriously, tell me which professional sports league doesn't rape their fans and is actually affordable for the common man?
The MLB tickets are actually quite fair, But thats what 81 home games a year creates. But I wasn't saying the event wouldn't sell or be highly publicized. But the US open isn't the super bowl, not the NBA allstar game, it's not anything of huge significance tp the average person.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2014, 01:21 AM

7,743 posts, read 15,839,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DevanXL View Post
The MLB tickets are actually quite fair, But thats what 81 home games a year creates. But I wasn't saying the event wouldn't sell or be highly publicized. But the US open isn't the super bowl, not the NBA allstar game, it's not anything of huge significance tp the average person.
The US Open is a championship series... Why would you compare the prices of a championship series to a regular season prices of MLB?

How do you determined "significance to the average person"? Recently, almost 250k people attended the US Open and many more watched on tv. There's going to be at least 200k people that'll show up for the US Open. They've already talked about how the Chambers Bay US Open is going to make at least twice what Seattle took in for the All-Star game 2001. Heck, Fox Sports made a one billion dollar tv deal with USGA-- that's an extreme deal to be made for a sport that's not a "huge significance to the average person". It's significant enough.

Last edited by Inkpoe; 04-03-2014 at 01:29 AM..

Old 04-03-2014, 10:07 AM

4,484 posts, read 9,269,086 times
Quote:
Seattle has enough hotel rooms for the dnc but just not an arena tohold the event. And yeah the is open will be here but tickets will be so expensive few people will actually have a chance to enjoy it. There is also alot of people who don't like to watch golf.
From what I heard on the radio after the decision was made, it was more than the stadium. From the Seattle Times:

Quote:
Absent a building boom, Seattle would not meet the DNC’s stated requirements for hotel rooms, convention space, and other amenities.
Seattle won't bid for 2016 Democratic National Convention | Politics Northwest | Seattle Times

Old 04-03-2014, 10:18 AM

2,011 posts, read 3,448,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inkpoe View Post
The US Open is a championship series... Why would you compare the prices of a championship series to a regular season prices of MLB?

How do you determined "significance to the average person"? Recently, almost 250k people attended the US Open and many more watched on tv. There's going to be at least 200k people that'll show up for the US Open. They've already talked about how the Chambers Bay US Open is going to make at least twice what Seattle took in for the All-Star game 2001. Heck, Fox Sports made a one billion dollar tv deal with USGA-- that's an extreme deal to be made for a sport that's not a "huge significance to the average person". It's significant enough.
I wasn't comparing the 2 I was commenting on the fact that they said all major sports have rediculous prices. I know the us open is a huge event, I watch it but let's be real, the social media age is what drives the popularity of these events now adapts and if tiger isn't playing well not many people under the age if 40 will be suing much attention to the event. I'm happy the event is here but I'm just saying a larger event in the future would be great.

Old 04-03-2014, 10:40 AM

24 posts, read 37,237 times
The Super Bowl actually has a minimum seat requirement of 70,000 seats, which Centurylink Field currently does not meet. Husky Stadium seats more than 70,000, but I don't think they would host a Super Bowl at a college stadium. However, in October news came out that they are planning on expanding it to exceed 70,000 seats, which would make Seattle eligible from a stadium capacity standpoint. I don't know about hotels.

Old 04-03-2014, 12:15 PM

1,980 posts, read 3,763,406 times
Quote:
Seattle has enough hotel rooms for the dnc but just not an arena tohold the event. And yeah the is open will be here but tickets will be so expensive few people will actually have a chance to enjoy it. There is also alot of people who don't like to watch golf.
Way more people will enjoy a US Open than a riot/vandalism plagued political convention police state for a week.

If you can't get a ticket for the Open, organize a boat party in the sound. Or watch on TV.

Old 04-06-2014, 05:19 PM

26 posts, read 53,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 509 View Post
It is not fair to compare Seattle to Spokane.

Spokane has a great downtown, a fantastic urban park, a waterfall, plus great lodging and shopping. Everything is downtown in Spokane making the events walkable. You never need to get into your car!!

Spokane has always had a problem getting an event for the first time. After that, the events come back on their own since most of the people attending the event talk up Spokane. That happened with the NCAA and Ice tournaments.

Seattle is just NOT a pleasant place to visit.
Spokane is a cool place to be if you were born there and can't afford to leave.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area