Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-09-2014, 07:31 PM

74 posts, read 198,413 times

Advertisements

Thanks, Everyone!!

RVD90277 - that's what I like about the properties I've seen at "The Farm" thus far, although I have to visit in person. My favorite Woodinville homes that have been on the market are all in this neighborhood, however a purchase in this neighborhood would most comfortable if we sold our CA home, a hot topic of debate in our home right now! It takes 10min to get to the freeways from our current home, so the inconvenience of that wouldn't phase us SoCal'ers one bit... yet.

angelenogirl - During my last visit, I LOVED Edmonds. It's so cute & quaint, but I only spent a day there.... and not to be rude, but I mostly saw (ahem) older folks... like, white-haired grannies, other than my visit to that cute coffee shop on Walnut, which presented a more diverse community mix... have you found that there's a good mix of young (30-40-something) families in the Edmonds area? A little worried about schools as well, because they're rated lower than most of the other areas we've honed in on. Help!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2014, 09:33 PM

1,314 posts, read 2,053,513 times
It does skew older, but the median age is falling as younger families move in (they're coming in droves, it seems). Still, it has been called "Deadmonds" because for a long time it has been populated by an older crowd. I'm part of a moms group there (which is not something I would usually do, but this one is so dang cool), and there really is a strong sense of community. People get together and watch out for each other and it just feels good. You can also take the Sounder train right from downtown Edmonds to downtown Seattle, which is neat.

As for schools, I've found that GreatSchools has not been as helpful for me in WA as it was when I was dealing with LAUSD. In Seattle we are in a '10' school with high test scores but it has been a rotten experience. Bullying, lack of responsiveness from administration, uncommunicative teachers, no real sense of community (they almost try to repel parents - it feels like they don't want you there). The district is a mess. In Edmonds, while scores are lower it seems like anecdotally people LOVE their neighborhood schools and are heavily involved. I also think scores are affected by strong special education programs. There are two "choice schools" as well that work on a lottery that people rave about. If you are looking at test scores, it has the the number one elementary school in Washington state (though it's a gifted school called Challenge Program that requires entrance testing).

Clearly I'm in love. I spent a year and a half figuring out where I want to be for the duration. Like I said, there are so many good points about all of your choices, so I doubt you'll go wrong (there are plenty of Shoreline moms in that Edmonds moms group). I think it just has to feel like a good fit. For us, every place we checked out just didn't beat Edmonds.

Old 04-10-2014, 07:45 PM

24 posts, read 25,858 times
Here is some general price information on rental homes in the various areas, per my review of available rental homes listed via the NWMLS (as of today)...

3+ bedroom homes
Kirkland - $1,600 + per mo.
Bothell - $1,795+ per mo.
Woodinville - $5,000 per mo.
Mill Creek - no current rentals

Rental inventory is always changing and there are also apartment complexes in all areas which may be an option, though most calls I get are from clients who want to forego living in an apt. : )

Old 04-11-2014, 02:24 PM

2,064 posts, read 4,433,014 times
We moved here 2 years ago from Redondo Beach, CA so the 10 minute drive to the freeway was not a problem (it took 20 minutes when we were in South Redondo Beach).

I don't know if there are many rentals in The Farm though. It is a bit away from it all and I would guess that rentals aren't that commonplace around here (at least compared to Bellevue, Kirkland, Issaquah, Shoreline, etc.).

What part of SoCal are you coming from and what are you looking for? The vibe of all of these neighborhoods are pretty different in terms of quiet and suburban, shopping, night life, etc.

Woodinville is kind of a mix of quiet and suburban + farmland since you see a lot of horses and barns. I actually think it's a bit like Rolling Hills in LA.

Old 04-11-2014, 10:17 PM

Thank you, angeleno girl!! Super helpful, even though I think my search area has just expanded. hahaha

Old 04-17-2014, 05:37 PM

We're coming from Ventura County just north of L.A. We have our fair share of rural amenities (strawberry picking farms, horseback riding facilities), but live in a more suburban part of town. The Farm would be a step closer toward a more rural lifestyle, for sure.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area