Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-09-2014, 10:00 AM

68 posts, read 108,417 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by modc View Post
Hi,

What do you like about this world class city? If you are having kids in 1-2 years you might not be able to go to restaurants or the theater. Others may have a different take on parenthood, but my life revolves around my kids' soccer games, dance classes etc. Probably similar to what they have in Columbus. I do try to get some culture into the kids on the weekends and go to Seattle Center.

I think, once you have kids, probably the biggest differences between here and Columbus are the weather, hiking/skiing/camping opportunities, diversity of people, and overall liberal attitude. There are a lot of secular homeschooling parents and attachment parenting is popular here. If these things are important to you, it might be worth it to move.

I will also add the afterschool science classes and camps here are excellent. But, I am sure COSI has amazing programs as well.
I am confused with your advice. Are you suggesting Seattle or Columbus?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2014, 12:42 PM

236 posts, read 289,209 times
I am not suggesting either. Because the cost of housing (and everything else) is so much higher here than Columbus, I think it's important to evaluate what makes the quality of life here better.

She said wants to live in a world class city. But, I think people without kids might not realize that they don't get to go out as much as before. I have friends who live in the suburbs here who never go to the city. They live very near Seattle because they have high tech jobs, they live in the suburbs because they want good schools for their kids and their lives are very similar to people I know in the Midwest.

Just something to think about - if you have kids, how would your life be different from living in Columbus vs. Seattle. Would you be living in the suburbs or the city?

Is there a city where you can have free babysitting (i.e. family to help out)?

Old 04-09-2014, 01:10 PM

9,618 posts, read 27,328,182 times
You're already in Seattle, and your wife wants to join you here. Do you dislike it here? If you do, you have not done a good job of convincing her to not want to move here. It's a lot more expensive here, but I'd think in many other ways the quality of life is better here. As in most cases, it's usully a good idea to listen to your wife.

Old 04-09-2014, 01:31 PM

338 posts, read 847,387 times
I honestly could not imagine ever picking Columbus over Seattle.
While I haven't lived in Columbus, I've been there several times (lived in Detroit). Seattle is beautiful. BEAUTIFUL. The weather is better here, too. The job market is more stable. Picking Columbus over Seattle for me, is like being asked if I want to live forever or amputate my leg.
Do you not like Seattle? If not, sounds like the choice is made.

Old 04-09-2014, 02:20 PM

3,533 posts, read 5,826,582 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seattleliving2014 View Post
I am confused with your advice. Are you suggesting Seattle or Columbus?
In general, people on the Seattle thread would advocate you move to COlumbus and people on the Columbus thread would advocate you move to Seattle.. Makes sense?

Old 04-09-2014, 02:40 PM

236 posts, read 289,209 times
OK, Fine, I'll tell you what I chose. I moved here from Columbus and I love living in Seattle. For me, the liberal attitudes, beauty, hiking/camping/skiing, interest in books, theater, weather, amazing day trips make it worthwhile. There are lot of transplants here from all over the country and the world, too. It really is great.

But, I had to move for a better job opportunity - I didn't really have a choice between being well-off in Columbus or struggling in Seattle.

Old 04-09-2014, 03:05 PM

854 posts, read 1,481,474 times
Hard choice. I'm not a big fan of either city. They're both in good regions of the country, but the cities themselves are nothing to write home for.

Old 04-10-2014, 09:48 AM

68 posts, read 108,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beautifulseattlehomes View Post
If someone offered me the same salary in Columbus Ohio that they offered me in Seattle I would look at them in disbelief. The cost of living difference alone would make my decision for me! If I really wanted to live in Seattle I would negotiate my salary up by about 65% to close the cost of living difference.

According to Sperlings Best Places, housing alone is over 280% more expensive in Seattle.

What do you think of Columbus as a place to settle down in?
Yes, I am getting almost same salary in Columbus. My wife will get $10K more in Seattle.

Old 04-10-2014, 10:07 AM

646 posts, read 926,034 times
U have to elaborate why u inclined towards Columbus vs Seattle
I havent been to Columbus, but to me it seems MEH. OH in general seems pretty bland and flat, esp when it comes to nature and landscape. Seattle is also a bigger metro area so theres gon be more options with everything like jobs, schools, entertainment. Columbus seems like a great QOL typa place, but might get boring after a while if ur used to a bigger city. To each their own though, and maybe u dont need the extra that Seattle offers and Columbus could work jus fine.

Old 04-10-2014, 10:49 AM

1,638 posts, read 3,829,941 times
I've lived in both cities, and you really can't compare them. Seattle is more beautiful, but much, MUCH more expensive. Both have crappy weather lol. Both are family friendly. I agree that income/COL is a huge factor. What would buy you a nice upper middle class lifestyle in Columbus, will buy you a middle class lifestyle here. If having a large home and extra cash is important, I'd choose Columbus. If you're outdoorsy and don't mind the rain (and can afford it), I'd choose Seattle.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area