Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-16-2007, 11:05 AM

463 posts, read 1,292,455 times

Advertisements

I can't believe someone actually asked "How much Whiter is Portland ?" What year is this ?

Try looking at stats on this website for % by race.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-16-2007, 11:27 AM

18,700 posts, read 42,061,367 times
I lived for a while just outside of Portland. Have visited Seattle numerous times. From an outsiders point of view, I didn't find a lot of difference with the people that I associated with. Both were very beautiful areas. Of course, Seattle having a lot more "Water" activities.

Old 12-16-2007, 10:19 PM

51 posts, read 221,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scubashawn68 View Post
I can't believe someone actually asked "How much Whiter is Portland ?" What year is this ?

Try looking at stats on this website for % by race.
The problem with stats is that they don't always tell the whole picture. The question at hand relates to the character, or attitude of a city, which cannot be relayed quantitatively, but qualitatively.

The presumed normativity of Whiteness enables a member of the dominant culture (white, Anglo), to view diversity as a reflection of otherness. For example: If I see enough people of color in an area, the area is presumed to be "diverse".

So again, my question related to the character of the city, which I should have elaborated more clearly, hence the follow up question regarding hipsters. But typically I don't mince words.

I didn't mean to offend, but I believe the question is quite valid as posed.

When white people who come from homogenously white towns/cities visit Seattle, they might observe what they perceive as "a lot" of people of Asian descent, some African-Americans, and say to themselves "wow, this is a diverse city". Such is a common view of members of the dominant culture.

But how do the members of ethnic minorities perceive the same situation? Do ethnic minorities view Seattle as a diverse place? Perhaps they do not see Seattle in the same light as a member of the dominant culture.

Anyways, my apologies if I offended any readers of my post.

Food for thought: check this Washington I figure if the Washington Post can describe Williamsburg, Brooklyn, as "a vastly whiter scene", it's ok? no?

Old 12-17-2007, 12:45 AM

5,864 posts, read 15,244,428 times
As an african american moving to Seattle from D.C. I actually found the minority population, especially african americans more than I ever expected. I thought I would see maybe 2 or 3 a day. Maybe if I started out in Fremont or Wallingford I would have thought differently. But living in central Seattle you see many more minorities than any other part of the city. You find many more black businesses like restaurants, barbershops and hair salons. Head down to Madison Park Beach, Mount Baker Beach or Seward Park on any nice day and you will see what I'm talking about.

Old 12-17-2007, 01:17 AM

Location: where you sip the tea of the breasts of the spinsters of Utica
8,297 posts, read 14,164,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vripper View Post
The problem with stats is that they don't always tell the whole picture. .......The presumed normativity of Whiteness enables a member of the dominant culture (white, Anglo), to view diversity as a reflection of otherness. For example: If I see enough people of color in an area, the area is presumed to be "diverse".
People tend to be more "diverse" the further south and east you go. I'd recommend Mississipi, Alabama, or Florida if you are interested in extreme black diversity.

Old 12-17-2007, 01:38 AM

297 posts, read 1,035,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pwright1 View Post
You find many more black businesses like restaurants, barbershops and hair salons. Head down to Madison Park Beach, Mount Baker Beach or Seward Park on any nice day and you will see what I'm talking about.
Not only are there lots of African American businesses in Seattle, Pwright... but just plain African businesses. There's quite a few Somalians and Ethiopians in the city and quite a few Ethiopian restaurants. At my work there's both Africans and African Americans. They don't seem to interact with one another though. The Africans do their thing and the American blacks do their thing.

Old 12-17-2007, 06:42 AM

478 posts, read 2,303,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woof View Post
People tend to be more "diverse" the further south and east you go. I'd recommend Mississipi, Alabama, or Florida if you are interested in extreme black diversity.
Despite what a lot of people think initially, the question often has more roots in practical matters than in some idealogical notions of blackness.

Like, for instance ... hair.

It makes sense that black people might ask the "diversity question" because, well, one would like to go to a place and be able to go to a salon to get one's hair done. That is a universal right of all women. Practically speaking, the fewer blacks there are, the fewer salons that cater to their hair texture ... the fewer salons with that specialty, the greater the cost (supply vs. demand).

FWIW, speaking to the entire Northwest: Tacoma is probably the best place to find black hair salons in the whole region. Most African Americans -- as many folks -- moved out of Seattle when the cost of living shot up and settled south of the city, in Kent and Federal Way and Tacoma. Seattle city proper is second, and Portland is a verrrrrrrrrry distant third. P-town is a lovely city, but not a lot of salons with that specialty (though I hear of a few here and there).

Just my 2 cents.

Old 12-17-2007, 12:48 PM

51 posts, read 221,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeattlitefromNC View Post
FWIW, speaking to the entire Northwest: Tacoma is probably the best place to find black hair salons in the whole region. Most African Americans -- as many folks -- moved out of Seattle when the cost of living shot up and settled south of the city, in Kent and Federal Way and Tacoma. Seattle city proper is second, and Portland is a verrrrrrrrrry distant third. P-town is a lovely city, but not a lot of salons with that specialty (though I hear of a few here and there).

Just my 2 cents.
Great observation, Seattleite . I remember reading this article http://seattlepi.nwsource.com/local/201414_blackchurches27.html (broken link) about the AA churchs in the Central District contending with the migration to the South End.

Old 12-17-2007, 02:58 PM

463 posts, read 1,292,455 times
I understand what you meant. I just thought asking "how much Whiter is Portland ?", sounds kind of racist. But I suppose you didn't know of another way to pose the question. Having lived in Seattle for many years in the past, I would say it is a very diverse area. I am mixed with all kinds of different ethnic groups. However, there are definitely more "anglo's" than any other race.

Old 12-31-2007, 07:56 PM

686 posts, read 3,716,457 times
Seattle's way better than Portland IMO.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area