Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-13-2014, 05:58 PM

2,011 posts, read 3,461,849 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by eskercurve View Post
You can drink at 19?

I honestly can't think of any reasons why Vancouver is much better than Seattle. I will admit though that their beach/coast line views are more stunning than ours due to the closeness of the mountains.
I actually disagree, as you get further south the views become more dramatic especially on vashon island looking towards kitsap county, but that's not the city of Seattle though. I think there is alot of people especially on c-d who just like to bash Seattle. Vancouver is glitz and glam, nothing underneath the surface. It's like real sims city, design to be applying to everyone, but it lacks culture and soul. I actually prefer visiting Victoria opposed to Vancouver as its more charming. Everything in Vancouver I can get in Seattle, maybe not better asian food but besides that there is no X-factor to Vancouver which makes it better then Seattle.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2014, 06:06 PM

644 posts, read 1,188,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DevanXL View Post
I actually disagree, as you get further south the views become more dramatic especially on vashon island looking towards kitsap county, but that's not the city of Seattle though. I think there is alot of people especially on c-d who just like to bash Seattle. Vancouver is glitz and glam, nothing underneath the surface. It's like real sims city, design to be applying to everyone, but it lacks culture and soul. I actually prefer visiting Victoria opposed to Vancouver as its more charming. Everything in Vancouver I can get in Seattle, maybe not better asian food but besides that there is no X-factor to Vancouver which makes it better then Seattle.
Agreed for the most part. I also like visiting Vancouver because I'm a bit of a public transit junkie, and it's nice to see a system that is actually useful and functional compared to the current mess we have in Seattle. Otherwise, I just have to laugh at how similar all of Vancouver's condo towers look. I wonder if people there accidentally stumble into the wrong building after a night out.

Old 04-13-2014, 07:40 PM

Also alot of Old and longtime residents aren't too happy with the city of Vancouver. Many are being priced out and the middle class is quickly disappearing. As much as we talk about density here, how many hardworking middle class families want to rent a cramped condo? There is no affordable housing it's became a rich man's playground. Alot of longtime residents express that they don't care about "World class" they would rather see the city try to cater to someone other then the tourists and rich investors. Many Condominiums built are half empty as they just serve as a place for foreign investors to keep their money. Vancouver has no real economy and suffers heavily from that. Heck, 40 year old junk homes are going for close to 1 million dollars because so little houses have been built the past few decades for the working and middle class.

Old 04-13-2014, 08:48 PM

2 posts, read 4,015 times
I lived 16 years in Seattle and 20 years in Vancouver, and two years ago moved back to Vancouver from Seattle. I know both cities first hand, unlike many who have spent a weekend here and there, or just hate one or the other because of the side of the border it resides on. I am a dual citizen of both countries. Not sure who said that the wages in Seattle are better than Vancouver. That is bull. They are not, unless maybe if you are a doctor. Also, Seattle is larger than Vancouver, so whoever said Vancouver was larger is also incorrect. Yes, the cost of living in Vancouver can be higher depending where you reside. Difference is though, is that people actually live downtown Vancouver. Seattle's business districts do not often have mixed used residential, unlike Vancouver does. Someone also said that people do not own their homes in Vancouver. Where the heck do you get your info? I have many friends, including us, that own our homes in downtown Vancouver. Vancouver is a much healthier city in every way IMO. The people are far more active within the city, and the overall vibe is much healthier as far as food, gyms, etc. There is a real movement towards being healthy and you can see it merely by the size of people. Far less overweight people in Vancouver. It is sooooo obvious, and always shocks me to see the difference. Seattle being a larger city certainly has a better night life and music scene as it has more venues, and I do love the triple door for music. As far as general beauty and cleanliness and appeal, Vancouver by far and wide kicks Seattle butt all the way to Bellingham and back. Sorry Seattle but Vancouver is gorgeous, you just don't have that sort of stunning appeal, although you are quite pretty coming in by ferry boat, generally just meh. Although I love certain areas of Seattle, it just does not have the same charm or beauty as Vancouver or anything like the seawall or communities within the city. They both suck for weather, but both are easily forgiven when the sun shines as the greenery is really very gorgeous. Crime rates are bad in both, but far less shootings in Vancouver and generally a safer feel. Well Canada feels safer than the US regardless, so that goes without saying. Much better public transport system in Vancouver which makes it a much greener city as well. They both have a lot of homeless and beggers, but for some reason in Vancouver they are not as aggressive. Not sure why that is, but its true. So as much as I love Seattle, if I had to make a choice, which I did after being there for 16 years, I chose to move back to Vancouver. So glad I did as it is a much better quality of life, although I do pay a little more in Taxes in Canada, it all evens out that I am not paying out hundreds every month for over priced healthcare. Also, note... I live in a high end area of Vancouver, as I also did in Seattle. So I am comparing apples to apples. Oh someone also said that Vancouver has no real economy. Well last I checked, it is a port city just like Seattle. The economy was flailing in the US when I left, and still holding its own in Canada. As a matter of fact when the skyline in Seattle did not have a single crane up doing any construction of any sort, Vancouver's skyline was booming with new infrastructure, bridges, high rises, and development of industrial areas to new residential and construction galore. Trust me, I felt the difference after leaving Washington state. Half my friends were out of work and had lost their homes and life savings. My friends in BC were not feeling this fate to that degree. Although it is tough everywhere, Washington state had huge layoffs at Boeing, Micro, and alike, and corporations were taking their business elsewhere. Washington, as much as I love it, is not exactly known as the best state to do business in. I may not stay in Vancouver the rest of my life, but I will never move back to Seattle, and nor do I miss it. I will certainly visit, as I have friends I left behind, but it is not what I look for as far as a home city.

Old 04-13-2014, 10:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ira500 View Post
Unless you've actually lived in both places, you can't really have an educated opinion.
It all really is an opinion so I dont think that really matters, most people have some bias.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dualgirl View Post
I lived 16 years in Seattle and 20 years in Vancouver, and two years ago moved back to Vancouver from Seattle. I know both cities first hand, unlike many who have spent a weekend here and there, or just hate one or the other because of the side of the border it resides on.
I always love when people say how long they lived in both places. Even though you lived in places you can still have bias especially towards your hometown. Your response was obviously filled with opinions and it came off as if you were defending Vancouver. Beauty of the cities is the most subjective of all the topics. I think Seattle has way better water views with the islands enhancing the views. I also think the mountains in Seattle area are better further away, Vancouver feels too closed in my opinion and in Seattle the Mountains being a ways from the city opens things up. Plus the Olympics of the the water seen from a high rise is downtown in just an amazing view. We all have differing opinions. And a huge reason why Vancouver was still building during the collapse was because most if not all there funding comes from East Asian investors which many only use it as a way to place there money somewhere. Alot of those buildings aren't even filled and many condos are sold but still remain empty. The building in Canada doesn't dictate the health of it's economy though it feel the impact that we did in america. Even with that Seattle was one of the strongest major cities through the collapse because of the tech industry still booming and it was able to skate through the recession. The port is an industry within the city, but the private sector in the city is still very weak especially compared to major US cities. Vancouver probably is a more fit city but thats a result of it being a wealthy area with wealthy people and having a very walk-able urban core with good public transit. That transportation will always be a problem here in Seattle. But Seattle is making strides and booming right now, bad planning will always be a set back but is part of what makes this city unique. In my opinion there isn't much unique about Vancouver.

Old 04-13-2014, 10:34 PM

1,278 posts, read 2,923,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dualgirl View Post
I lived 16 years in Seattle and 20 years in Vancouver, and two years ago moved back to Vancouver from Seattle. I know both cities first hand, unlike many who have spent a weekend here and there, or just hate one or the other because of the side of the border it resides on. I am a dual citizen of both countries. Not sure who said that the wages in Seattle are better than Vancouver. That is bull. They are not, unless maybe if you are a doctor. Also, Seattle is larger than Vancouver, so whoever said Vancouver was larger is also incorrect. Yes, the cost of living in Vancouver can be higher depending where you reside. Difference is though, is that people actually live downtown Vancouver. Seattle's business districts do not often have mixed used residential, unlike Vancouver does. Someone also said that people do not own their homes in Vancouver. Where the heck do you get your info? I have many friends, including us, that own our homes in downtown Vancouver. Vancouver is a much healthier city in every way IMO. The people are far more active within the city, and the overall vibe is much healthier as far as food, gyms, etc. There is a real movement towards being healthy and you can see it merely by the size of people. Far less overweight people in Vancouver. It is sooooo obvious, and always shocks me to see the difference. Seattle being a larger city certainly has a better night life and music scene as it has more venues, and I do love the triple door for music. As far as general beauty and cleanliness and appeal, Vancouver by far and wide kicks Seattle butt all the way to Bellingham and back. Sorry Seattle but Vancouver is gorgeous, you just don't have that sort of stunning appeal, although you are quite pretty coming in by ferry boat, generally just meh. Although I love certain areas of Seattle, it just does not have the same charm or beauty as Vancouver or anything like the seawall or communities within the city. They both suck for weather, but both are easily forgiven when the sun shines as the greenery is really very gorgeous. Crime rates are bad in both, but far less shootings in Vancouver and generally a safer feel. Well Canada feels safer than the US regardless, so that goes without saying. Much better public transport system in Vancouver which makes it a much greener city as well. They both have a lot of homeless and beggers, but for some reason in Vancouver they are not as aggressive. Not sure why that is, but its true. So as much as I love Seattle, if I had to make a choice, which I did after being there for 16 years, I chose to move back to Vancouver. So glad I did as it is a much better quality of life, although I do pay a little more in Taxes in Canada, it all evens out that I am not paying out hundreds every month for over priced healthcare. Also, note... I live in a high end area of Vancouver, as I also did in Seattle. So I am comparing apples to apples. Oh someone also said that Vancouver has no real economy. Well last I checked, it is a port city just like Seattle. The economy was flailing in the US when I left, and still holding its own in Canada. As a matter of fact when the skyline in Seattle did not have a single crane up doing any construction of any sort, Vancouver's skyline was booming with new infrastructure, bridges, high rises, and development of industrial areas to new residential and construction galore. Trust me, I felt the difference after leaving Washington state. Half my friends were out of work and had lost their homes and life savings. My friends in BC were not feeling this fate to that degree. Although it is tough everywhere, Washington state had huge layoffs at Boeing, Micro, and alike, and corporations were taking their business elsewhere. Washington, as much as I love it, is not exactly known as the best state to do business in. I may not stay in Vancouver the rest of my life, but I will never move back to Seattle, and nor do I miss it. I will certainly visit, as I have friends I left behind, but it is not what I look for as far as a home city.
Too bad you didn't break up this monolith into several paragraphs, Dualgirl - I might have been able to read it.

Old 04-13-2014, 11:49 PM

9,182 posts, read 12,128,391 times
some photos from today

Old 04-14-2014, 11:12 AM

2,985 posts, read 4,886,156 times
Seattle needs more attractions along the waterfront. Fortunately, the new waterfront should help with this effort. Besides the strip along Pike Place, there isn't much to see along the water. I can't compare to Vancouver having never been there, but Portland has the Saturday Market which has more attractions, food carts, and vendors than anywhere in Seattle with tons of crowds making Portland seem more vibrant than Seattle. I really hope that the new waterfront will try to emulate Portland's Saturday Market.

Old 04-14-2014, 03:42 PM

9,961 posts, read 17,524,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DevanXL View Post
Also alot of Old and longtime residents aren't too happy with the city of Vancouver. Many are being priced out and the middle class is quickly disappearing. As much as we talk about density here, how many hardworking middle class families want to rent a cramped condo? There is no affordable housing it's became a rich man's playground. Alot of longtime residents express that they don't care about "World class" they would rather see the city try to cater to someone other then the tourists and rich investors. Many Condominiums built are half empty as they just serve as a place for foreign investors to keep their money. Vancouver has no real economy and suffers heavily from that. Heck, 40 year old junk homes are going for close to 1 million dollars because so little houses have been built the past few decades for the working and middle class.
Though people level the same criticisms at Seattle(except for foreign investor-owned condos). People in Seattle brag about urban developement and density which consists of expensive condos, but it's an expensive city that's getting more expensive and a lot of people are being priced out. The economy might be better in Seattle, but it's not a great city for the middle/working classes.

At least in Vancouver they build condos sky-high with a nice view and not those stumpy little things that Seattle builds in Belltown or South Lake Union for the most part.

Old 04-15-2014, 11:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deezus View Post
Though people level the same criticisms at Seattle(except for foreign investor-owned condos). People in Seattle brag about urban developement and density which consists of expensive condos, but it's an expensive city that's getting more expensive and a lot of people are being priced out. The economy might be better in Seattle, but it's not a great city for the middle/working classes.

At least in Vancouver they build condos sky-high with a nice view and not those stumpy little things that Seattle builds in Belltown or South Lake Union for the most part.
Here is the difference though, and the city core most major uS cities are becoming very pricy, but not to the extreme as Vancouver, always an efficient freeway system gets us from the suburbs to the city fairly quick opposed to the lack of freeways in the Vancouver area. You can enjoy seattle without having to live there. And there is plenty of affordable housing in and around the city. A report can out that has the cheapest house for sell in Vancouver at 600,000.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area