Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Your vote on Prop 1, $60 annual tab tax
Yes on Prop 1 16 50.00%
No on Prop 1 13 40.63%
undecided 3 9.38%
Voters: 32. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-24-2014, 03:43 PM

18,782 posts, read 17,364,082 times

Advertisements

And as for the idea of a Seattle entry fee, bring it on. I live on the Eastside and have gotten to the point where I only set foot in Seattle once a year, for the Seattle Marathon in Nov. I know a lot of Eastsiders who feel similarly. Go to Seattle and get your car stolen or vandalized...no thanks. There are good marathons in Tacoma, Vancouver, Yakima, Birch Bay etc. If Seattle wants to gouge visitors, maybe I'll run one of those other marathons next year.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2014, 04:00 PM

314 posts, read 460,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wutitiz View Post
I agree; I heard a Dem campaign consultant not connected w/ prop 1 say that they didn't do their homework. When a relatively modest tax for transit fails in King cty by a wide margin, someone has screwed up somewhere. This region has a history of voting yes on things like this, to wit Sound Transit. I expected it to pass. The pro side had an 85-1 advantage in campaign spending over the con side, but the con side apparently had a more convincing message.

They overplayed their hand. I also wonder if it was not a mistake for them to run a special election. Most people weren't even aware of the election. Only the motivated voters participated in this election. If they had waited until Nov, with the participation of the great unwashed the outcome might have been different.
One criticism I've seen is the campaign focused on the heaviest transit users - students/young people & low income people - which also happen to be the constituencies that have low turnout rates. They totally neglected to focus on the "probable supporters who don't always use transit" voters. Your basic Seattle area left-leaning homeowner - the kind who DO vote in every election, ballot measure, etc. - but who don't necessarily always use transit (they own cars, use cars, occasionally use the bus, but don't depend on it, but are generally a-ok with social spending programs).

The message I fear was also muddied with including roads in the measure. The hard-core car owners weren't going to vote for the measure anyway, so why toss them a bone they weren't going to bite?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area