Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Your vote on Prop 1, $60 annual tab tax
Yes on Prop 1 16 50.00%
No on Prop 1 13 40.63%
undecided 3 9.38%
Voters: 32. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-11-2014, 01:52 PM

18,782 posts, read 17,352,042 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy View Post
60% of the money is stolen away by the transit parasites! They should pay for transit, no car drivers!

Let's start transit rider tabs to generate the revenue that transit supposedly needs. The people who use it will pay for it.

That is in fact what state transportation leader Judy Clibborn has stated as her recommended approach to justify the imposition of tolls--you use it, you pay for it. It does seem fair.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2014, 01:53 PM

1,980 posts, read 3,770,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seacove View Post
People who drive cars benefit from those who choose mass transit by the reduced traffic and wear and tear on roads.

Nonsense. I would be better served with those people paying the gas tax and having all transportation $ going to roads, road infrastructure, and maintenance. Transit is hurting drivers immensely via the massive misallocation of finite transportation resources.

Do the math, relic transit does not make sense. Public transit is a waste. Abolish public transit & city council endorsed cab cartels, and watch the free market move people about.

Old 04-11-2014, 01:55 PM

21,989 posts, read 15,702,895 times
Quote:
That's a canard. Funding transit with car tabs would be like funding public schools by charging a tax to private school tuition. Or asking people who do not go to parks to pay more money for parks than people who actually use them. Car tabs paying for transit is regressive and dumb.

Car tabs is taking money from people making one choice and then giving that money to people making an alternate one. It is not like schools, or parks, or libraries where the burden is spread throughout.
You're wrong of course but let's set that aside and look at basic math. If you are traveling, just an example, from the Eastside to Seattle for work and everyone drives a car. How long will your commute take? If half of those people choose to take the bus, not only will your commute time improve, the roads you pay for will have reduced wear. How much is your time worth? How often do you want to endure traffic delays while roads are repaired? If 75% of the people took mass transit, just imagine how your commute improves. You directly benefit when half your neighbors choose to take mass transit rather than joining you in their own cars.

Old 04-11-2014, 02:00 PM

Quote:
You're wrong of course but let's set that aside and look at basic math. If you are traveling, just an example, from the Eastside to Seattle for work and everyone drives a car. How long will your commute take?
Faster than it would take via relic transit, that's for sure. The giant $ suck would be gone and massive infrastructure improvements would have been made, such as fixing the mess in downtown Seattle on I-5, which has been an issue for 30+ years!

Inevitably smart roads and self driving technology will make the roadways system safer and more efficient.

Time to stop robbing car drivers to pay for moving around parasites who refuse to pay their fair share.

BUS TABS NOW!

Old 04-11-2014, 02:08 PM

Quote:
Faster than it would take via relic transit, that's for sure. The giant $ suck would be gone and massive infrastructure improvements would have been made, such as fixing the mess in downtown Seattle on I-5, which has been an issue for 30+ years!

Inevitably smart roads and self driving technology will make the roadways system safer and more efficient.

Time to stop robbing car drivers to pay for moving around parasites who refuse to pay their fair share.

BUS TABS NOW!
So your solution is to make mass transit more expensive, discourage its use by calling riders parasites, and wait for self driving cars to improve congestion? Genius. There's much I could say but you wouldn't be able to comprehend it anyway.

Old 04-11-2014, 02:20 PM

1,511 posts, read 1,972,103 times
Quote:

BUS TABS NOW!
Invariably, my own personal jetpack will make my commute safer and more efficient. But I can't afford one because I have to pay for taxes and tabs to move you bus-and-car-using parasites around. Therefore I suggest a tax on all of you so I can finish building this jetpack.

Old 04-11-2014, 02:22 PM

Quote:
So your solution is to make mass transit more expensive, discourage its use by calling riders parasites, and wait for self driving cars to improve congestion? Genius. There much I could say but you wouldn't be able to comprehend it anyway.
Car tabs paying for transit is evil. Again, it is like taxing people who DO NOT USE parks at a higher tax rate than people who actually use parks. Why should some schlep in Skykomish pay all that extra money that benefits some downtown mega landlord the most?

My solution would be to generate revenue form the people who use and benefit from it the most. Car tabs do the opposite.

Example revenue sources:

- per unit tax on large multi-unit properties, higher tax rates on properties without adequate parking
- additional hotel tax
- station tax district with higher property tax rates near station with rates descending further out
- commercial property tax on buildings that do not have the minimum # of parking slots to handle workers, customers, etc.
- large event tax. Tiny sales tax bump on tickets of events with 5,000+ people attending.

Old 04-11-2014, 02:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BATCAT View Post
Invariably, my own personal jetpack will make my commute safer and more efficient. But I can't afford one because I have to pay for taxes and tabs to move you bus-and-car-using parasites around. Therefore I suggest a tax on all of you so I can finish building this jetpack.
You're just trying to avoid bridge tolls you "taker" you.

Old 04-11-2014, 02:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BATCAT View Post
Be careful, you could get elected to the State House of Representatives in King County with that kind of logic.

Old 04-11-2014, 02:32 PM

Quote:
Car tabs do the opposite.
No they don't.

I want everyone to take mass transit except me. Then I'll race BATCAT and see if I can beat his jet pack.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area