Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-14-2014, 11:12 AM

1,278 posts, read 2,921,583 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 206traveler View Post
Oh, hey, Polly Glott and Seacove! I'm back in the Seattle area now, where I have probably lived longer than both of you combined. Do I have your esteemed permission to post on the Seattle board now??
You betcha!
I will now be expecting more Seattle-bashing on your part...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2014, 07:24 PM

40 posts, read 142,599 times
Isn't the internet fantastic?

Old 04-14-2014, 08:06 PM

32 posts, read 43,330 times
I don't think the article is too mean spirited. Making fun of oneself is a must in my book. I love the SNL skit The Californians. It's not too far off from the truth as far as how some of us sound when we discuss navigating the 105 to the 405 and getting off at El Segundo- that's practically Long Beach! What are you doing here Stuart?

I have noticed on my runs that even when I say hi to another passing runner, more often than not I get no reply. Not a big deal. But it lends some credibility to the article. Maybe it's the peaceful state of meditation Seattle puts people in.

Old 04-14-2014, 09:09 PM

3,352 posts, read 6,660,754 times
Wow, what a sad, angry woman. How can you be surrounded by all the beauty of this part of the country and only harp on the negatives? Most of the stuff she gripes about isn't even unique to Seattle. And, like a lot of people, she seems to have never heard of the word "introvert" and treats everyone who doesn't want to socialize and party all night as some kind of leper.

Old 04-14-2014, 10:47 PM

1,658 posts, read 3,546,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyled View Post
Seems the article needs to be "14 People You'll Meet in Seattle" with the writer of the article playing the part of:

Every Silver Lining Has A Dark Cloud in the Center

While most people manage to appreciate others for who they are, rather than their minor quirks, this group of people can't help but point out the flaws and accentuate them. To them every rainbow starts with rain and every sunny day is bordered by clouds. Perhaps this is due depression or some sort of self loathing but the members of this group define the world around them by the flaws they see in it. In and of itself this is merely self destructive but they also feel a need to share this with everyone around them, bringing others down into the same downward-spiraling depression. Inherently they manage to find their way to the Huffington Post and internet forums for validation.
LOL! Well, I read the entire thing as tongue-in-cheek and it contained more than a few grains of truth. So does this one, so
(Disclaimer: I probably fit at least half of the types that she wrote about, and I'm not the least bit offended.)

Quote:
Seriously, though, most everything the woman writes about is really none of her business. The whole thing seems petty and judgmental to me.
However, I don't really get this point. How is writing about the people she encounters none of her business?

Old 04-14-2014, 10:53 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,384,526 times
a thinly veiled race post accusing seattle of discimination. a bit unfair.
these days people rarely react badly to skin tone but almosts always to bad behavior.
imho dont dress up and act like a gangster people will treat you very differently.
oh and get rid of the 6 ft chip on your shoulder.

Last edited by Huckleberry3911948; 04-14-2014 at 11:09 PM..

Old 04-15-2014, 09:33 AM

9,961 posts, read 17,512,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry3911948 View Post
a thinly veiled race post accusing seattle of discimination. a bit unfair.
these days people rarely react badly to skin tone but almosts always to bad behavior.
imho dont dress up and act like a gangster people will treat you very differently.
oh and get rid of the 6 ft chip on your shoulder.
Who said anything about skin color or race? What are you talking about?

Old 04-15-2014, 10:43 AM

983 posts, read 994,528 times
Oh Ruby, amen sister!
Yeah, the ariticle is totally true about a lot of people in Seattle. Not all, but a lot.
I hear of people flocking here for the outdoors or the job oppurtunities. I never hear of people who come here for the weather or the people.
But you have to get on with folks where ever you go.

Old 04-15-2014, 10:48 AM

7,743 posts, read 15,864,026 times
Yes, people of Seattle are delectably special. They don't need an article to be told that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deezus View Post
Who said anything about skin color or race? What are you talking about?
Post #2

Old 04-15-2014, 10:52 AM

7,743 posts, read 15,864,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IheartWA View Post
Oh Ruby, amen sister!
Yeah, the ariticle is totally true about a lot of people in Seattle. Not all, but a lot.
I hear of people flocking here for the outdoors or the job oppurtunities. I never hear of people who come here for the weather or the people.
But you have to get on with folks where ever you go.
Really? Haven't been long on CD?

While I'm not a huge fan of the weather, there's certainly a good number that come for weather. And there's a good number who are looking for their introverted sanctuary. But yes, people of Seattle are not like the other parts of the US-- whether one think that's good or bad, really up to them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area