Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-15-2014, 08:25 AM

1 posts, read 2,171 times

Advertisements

I'll be moving to Washington soon and I want to find a mountain area that's at most 30 minutes away from the city. I'll be opening an interior design firm. I like hiking and being near lakes and rivers. I'm pretty liberal and in an interracial relationship (white man and black woman) so I don't want to be in an area where there will be any kind of hostility towards that. I have two big dogs (German Shepherd and Rottweiler) so I need an area that offers lots of yard space, no tract homes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2014, 08:46 AM

4,483 posts, read 9,294,617 times
Do you have a list of cities, or do you just want to be within 30 minutes of any city? How big does the city need to be?

Old 04-16-2014, 12:40 AM

541 posts, read 1,731,056 times
Here is a quick list. If any interest you, please say so and I will go more in depth.

*KING COUNTY - Same county as Seattle, higher taxes, more traffic.

Issaquah - If you have the money, you can find some nice homes around Issaquah and Sammamish with lots of land, or at least a lot of greenery. Within 30 minutes in most areas of the town to Seattle, and about 15 to Bellevue. Even closer to the mountains. Good shopping choices in Issaquah as well. Low crime.

Newcastle - An emerging area that is mostly homes and some new condos downtown. Suburban areas, but around it there is lots of lots and homes with land. Check around Lake Kathleen area too. Not a ton of shopping choices, but slowly improving. Still has grocery stores and stuff. Quick drive to Bellevue and Seattle. Low crime. Within minutes to nature, mountains, hikes, etc.

Renton - More of a working class city, but to the east you can find homes with more land. It is also more rural to the east, so many choices for homes with trees and big yards. Downtown isn't that great, nor is shopping, but shopping is improving at the city's far northern tip. Cheaper homes here. Crime is moderate to high. About 10-15 to Bellevue. Bit longer to Seattle, but you can come from several different routes. So lets just say about a 15-20 minute drive.

Duvall - Small town, artsy now. It is a longer drive to Seattle then some of these choices, but it is still reasonable. The downtown has small shops, and a few grocery chains are around town. You can find homes here with lots of land, and still reasonably cheap. Outdoors are right out your backdoor (depending on where you live in and around town). Crime is low. Lets say about a 40 minute drive to Seattle in good traffic. Close to good shopping in Redmond and Bellevue, about ten minutes away.

Fall City - Very small town, very rural. Might be a stretch, but I will throw it on anyway. You can find tons of land and homes in and around this area. There is no shortage of space for your two dogs, and you are by rivers, forests, and close the the mountains. Snoqualmie Falls is nearby. Shopping would need to be done elsewhere, most likely in Issaquah. You are just about a half an hour away from downtown Seattle, little bit shorter to Bellevue. Crime is low.

Maple Valley - Is a rural area, with a suburban town sprawl center that is emerging as a shopping district. So it's growing. But there are many homes with land in the area. You are surrounded by mountains and hills here. About 40 minutes from Seattle. Crime is low to moderate.

*SNOHOMISH COUNTY - North of Seattle, lower taxes, less traffic.

Cathcart/Maltby - Rural, but along Highway 9 is an Albertsons grocery store for goods. A quick drive to Woodinville for other shopping options. Homes can be found cheap out here. From Cathcart, it is just about a 30 minute drive to Seattle. Many homes in the area have mountain views, or views of rolling hills that emerge into valleys. Heavily forested in areas. Crime is low.

Snohomish - Small town America with a historic town center, and good shopping options to the north of town. Easy access to interstates if needed for quick access to Seattle, about a 40 minute drive if taking I-5. The town is along the Snohomish River, and forests and lakes surround the town. It is also near farmland. Many great trails and paths around and through town to walk dogs. Easy to find land around here. Close to more shopping in Everett, the big city of the area. Town is more conservative, but if you don't express your views blatantly, people couldn't care less. Crime is low.

Lake Stevens - Town that surrounds a lake, and has some good shopping choices on the west side of the lake. More laid back, quiet town on the east side of the lake. Surrounded by forests, and at the foot of mountains via the Mountain Loop Highway or Highway 2. Lots of fishing lakes nearby. 45 minutes to Seattle, but only 20 minutes to Everett. It isn't often you go to Seattle unless you work there anyways, right? Home prices vary, but can be very affordable. Crime low.

Other areas to check are Three Lakes, Lake Roesiger, Woods Creek, Monroe, Novelty Hill, Preston. They are further out, but might be worth a look.

Old 04-16-2014, 08:43 AM

1,716 posts, read 2,035,896 times
Completely missed Snoqualmie and North Bend, two of the best choices IMO. Maybe 35 minutes to downtown with no traffic, but easy drive and well worth it in terms of shopping, beauty and recreation opportunities.

Old 04-16-2014, 10:21 AM

255 posts, read 660,819 times
Was also going to suggest Snoqualmie/North Bend

Old 04-16-2014, 11:33 AM

1,980 posts, read 3,773,414 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pinknelle View Post
I'll be moving to Washington soon and I want to find a mountain area that's at most 30 minutes away from the city. I'll be opening an interior design firm. I like hiking and being near lakes and rivers. I'm pretty liberal and in an interracial relationship (white man and black woman) so I don't want to be in an area where there will be any kind of hostility towards that.

Does the city matter? Most of the more mountainous areas are out in the periphery. The cities within 30 miles of them would be places like Sedro-Wolley, Arlington, Wenatchee.

I wouldn't worry too much about being in an interracial relationship out in the rural areas. Historically it is the cities around here that are less tolerant. Interracial couples were forced to buy homes outside of the city limits until around the 60's. The rural areas are classic liberal/libertarian while the cities are more fascist/progressive.

Old 04-16-2014, 11:35 AM

1,980 posts, read 3,773,414 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NWbyNW View Post
Here is a quick list. ...

Where's the mountains? You are giving the OP a list of cities about 30 miles to the mountains, not a mountain place 30 miles to the city.

Old 04-16-2014, 02:27 PM

2,251 posts, read 3,272,247 times
Not that I have a lot of tangible information to contribute here, but I would echo Andy's comment to the OP - that I wouldn't worry too much about your reception for being an interracial couple. There is nowhere in this state in which a significant portion of the population will have a problem with that.

A person is far more likely to be harassed for being a republican in downtown Seattle, than you are for being an interracial couple in the rural parts of the state.

Old 04-16-2014, 07:33 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,585 posts, read 81,206,701 times
There are home on Squak mountain and Tiger Mountain in Issaquah, near Mt. Si in North Bend, and even Sammamish on the higher parts of the plateau seems like being in the mountains, with views of the Cascades. Most of this area, in fact most of western WA is very tolerant, but there are a more few conservative and even survivalist types around in the more rural areas such as the places outside of town on acreage in North Bend. ALl areas mentione by me and others will have non-tract homes with large yards, though they will be even higher priced.

Old 04-16-2014, 10:51 PM

3,533 posts, read 5,832,463 times
You got serious money?? Hope you do, because those Issaquah mountains don't run cheap.. Have you possibly considered living a bit farther out like Monroe or Sultan ?? More affordable and the mountains are a stone throw away, yet Seattle is just 45 minute commute when there is no traffic. You won't escape traffic anywhere you live in the Puget Sound.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area