Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-17-2014, 09:20 PM

2,638 posts, read 6,021,530 times

Advertisements

For some unknown reason, I am having the absolute worst time finding the single most common food known to man:

Bagels.

I know what you're going to say. "Go to Safeway/Fred Meyer/Whole Check/Albertsons/etc and buy a bag!!!" No. That's not what I mean.

I want to walk into a shop. Walk up to the counter. Tell the lady/guy, "I'd like a salt bagel/egg bagel/everything bagel, toasted with butter and cream cheese." They smile, prepare it, hand it to me, I pick up a drink, pay, and walk out with my snack.

I've found one Einstein Bros bagels - and it's 30 minutes away from where I live. Not acceptable.

There like 4 Einstein Bros bagels at seemingly random, certainly illogical places in Seattle. Not acceptable.

New York Style Bagels & Cafe doesn't seem to exist out here. They're the only ones I've found that sell salt bagels.

In San Diego, you could go to a regular bakery and they'd sell toasted bagels. For the life of me I can't seem to find a regular bakery.

There are doughnut shops ALL OVER THE FRICKIN PLACE with sugary, unhealthy, diabetes-invoking doughnuts everywhere. But no bagel shops.

Can anyone tell me why this is? I don't even care if it's a mom-and-pop doing it. I've found more Mexican shops than bagel shops and that's just not cricket.

Quote:
DISCLAIMER:
I don't want to make them at home, for various reasons. Bagel shops are common seemingly everywhere BUT the Seattle metro. I'm just curious as to why, and why there are so many doughnut shops scattered around.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2014, 10:11 PM

5,075 posts, read 11,077,437 times
To be blunt there aren't that many Jewish people here, nor is this area a huge destination for people who lived in the NE/Mid Atlantic. Bagels were trendy at some point more than a decade ago, but now it's just another niche food product.

Old 04-17-2014, 10:12 PM

3,533 posts, read 5,832,463 times
How about the Seattle Bagel Bakery in Pike's Place Market?

Seattle Bagel Bakery - Downtown - Seattle, WA | Yelp

There is another chain called Noah's Bagels, but I guess it gets mixed reviews.

You could always take a trip up to Vancouver, BC where I have found some authentic Jewish Delis and a real Jewish neighborhood. Sadly, the Jews in Seattle have shunned their culture and have adopted Northwestern way of life. What has died along with that is bagel shops and traditional Yiddish/New York style food like bagels and kosher delis.

Seattle metro is somewhat a cultureless void and outside of seafood and Asian cuisine there isn't in terms of culturally centered food. Even a good hearty burger is a feat to find in Seattle.

Heck, I cannot even find a good pizza in Seattle.. I have found only one or two places that does decent Middle Eastern, Falafel, hummus, etc.

Just out of curiosity have you tried the Kosher Deli in Bellevue called Goldberg's? From reading reviews it is not truly a "DELICATESSEN" in the sense of the word and it seems the food gets mixed reviews. However, how can a Jewish run place ruin bagels and cream cheese? I hope they can at least do that much.

Old 04-17-2014, 10:16 PM

50 posts, read 97,623 times
Zatz A Better Bagel. West Seattle. Now, if they'd just add bialys.

Old 04-17-2014, 10:29 PM

6,893 posts, read 8,937,427 times
Eltana bagels here are quite unique. Dense motha-fooka's, but both boiled then wood-fired. Better fresh than toasted.
Einstein are not boiled so not real; they are just acceptable.
Grocery store bagels are unacceptable - white bread in shape of bagel.
Where in San Diego do you recommend? The only real-deal I found was Point Loma Bagels, not the most convenient location for me.
My wife just boiled/baked some for first time; they were outstanding, and she said not that difficult to make from scratch.

Old 04-17-2014, 10:44 PM

3,533 posts, read 5,832,463 times
Revelated, find a guy named Ira on the board and I guarantee he is the ultimate guru of all knowledge on where the best bagels can be found in Seattle.. He told me in another thread just today he is considering moving to Vancouver, BC because of the lack of bagel places in Seattle.. This is serious business!!

Old 04-17-2014, 11:13 PM

50 posts, read 97,623 times
Ira might be onto something. If he's the expert and sees a void so great he's considering moving, perhaps it's time for Ira to open one up. Just sayin'. I see a business opportunity.

Old 04-17-2014, 11:35 PM

9,618 posts, read 27,345,532 times
There are good bagel places around. Just not too many of them. Bagel Oasis in Ravenna makes good bagels, and Mikie's in Redmond also makes good bagels. Eltana on Capitol Hill are pretty good. Einstein's and Noah's are really the same place, and kind of mediocre. Blazing Bagels in Redmond is alright, as is Zatz in West Seattle. But only Bagel Oasis and Mikie's boil theirs like you're supposed to.
I wouldn't really move out of Seattle because of bagels. And I'm far better at eating them than baking them. That's hard work. Real Estate is hard enough

Old 04-17-2014, 11:36 PM

6,893 posts, read 8,937,427 times
^ Eltana boils and then bakes? Where in NJ you from Ira500?

Old 04-18-2014, 12:14 AM

9,618 posts, read 27,345,532 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bloom View Post
^ Eltana boils and then bakes? Where in NJ you from Ira500?
Eltana does boil and then bake, like Bagel Oasis and Mikie's. But they're a different style. Maybe not as flavorful? I like them, but not as well as Oasis or Mikie's.
I'm from Central NJ, Turnpike Exit 8.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area