Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-30-2014, 01:33 AM

719 posts, read 981,347 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by seattlerain View Post
Most of what you post here is how awful people in the PNW are, maybe you should just leave.
Or... -or-... maybe I'll continue to avoid associating with them at all costs and go on living happily (while chuckling behind a lifted hand at every turn). Really, though, your response says everything about the people here. Threads criticizing the general attitude of longtime residents of this region are more common than dirt on this forum. But do you natives take a lesson from that? Of course not! It's all "don't like the people here? Get out!"

Well maybe you should get out. Maybe us new people are going to change this place so much that in a couple of years you won't even recognize it anymore. That's right: we're going to steal Seattle from you curmudgeons. Run. Run and hide.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2014, 02:12 AM

2,985 posts, read 4,856,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessoftheCape View Post
Or... -or-... maybe I'll continue to avoid associating with them at all costs and go on living happily (while chuckling behind a lifted hand at every turn). Really, though, your response says everything about the people here. Threads criticizing the general attitude of longtime residents of this region are more common than dirt on this forum. But do you natives take a lesson from that? Of course not! It's all "don't like the people here? Get out!"

Well maybe you should get out. Maybe us new people are going to change this place so much that in a couple of years you won't even recognize it anymore. That's right: we're going to steal Seattle from you curmudgeons. Run. Run and hide.
I'm not a native at all (SoCal born and raised) and I still think the OP comes off as thin-skinned, complaining about an entire city just because no body has reached out to him to become the kind of friend he wants.

Old 04-30-2014, 02:14 AM

719 posts, read 981,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GatsbyGatz View Post
I'm not a native at all (SoCal born and raised) and I still think the OP comes off as thin-skinned, complaining about an entire city just because no body has reached out to him to become the kind of friend he wants.
It's a tough place to make connections -- the toughest I've ever seen by a long shot. They didn't coin the term 'Seattle freeze' for no reason.

Old 04-30-2014, 03:51 AM

73 posts, read 164,600 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 206traveler View Post
I'm born and raised here. I graduated college 1.5 years ago and wanted to get out, so I packed up and moved to NYC. I couldn't find a job there and ran low on savings so I'm back. Jesus, why don't you just ask me the question instead of making it a mind-boggling puzzle.
Excuse me, that's what I did. You complain about the people in Seattle, but as someone who is not in Seattle reading this and merely posting an obvious observation, you don't exactly represent your city with flying colors either. Unless you are living at home with folks not paying rent, I still don't know why you moved back. Being from a place doesn't really make most people go back to where they hate, unless there is a variable you didn't mention.

Last edited by dancingdoll1; 04-30-2014 at 05:08 AM..

Old 04-30-2014, 09:54 AM

3,451 posts, read 7,032,002 times
Quote:

Look, most people don't like it when they are belittled by newcomers. I would never move to Texas and complain about the culture there, it's rude and casts a very negative light.

Would you like it if I walked into your home and immediately started to tell you how awful you are and that everything you do is wrong. Would you "take a lesson" from a newcomer, or would you ask me to stop.

My point is that we are not going to change because you want us to change.

Old 04-30-2014, 11:41 AM

9,961 posts, read 17,435,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dancingdoll1 View Post
Excuse me, that's what I did. You complain about the people in Seattle, but as someone who is not in Seattle reading this and merely posting an obvious observation, you don't exactly represent your city with flying colors either. Unless you are living at home with folks not paying rent, I still don't know why you moved back. Being from a place doesn't really make most people go back to where they hate, unless there is a variable you didn't mention.
You have to understand that while some people use this forum to look for advice or questions or to share information or deabte a topic, others simply use it as place to complain and look for people to commiserate with. There's no constructive solution that anyone can provide to the OP's problem, because they're not looking for answers--they simply want to share their dislike of Seattle.

Old 04-30-2014, 02:04 PM

73 posts, read 164,600 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deezus View Post
You have to understand that while some people use this forum to look for advice or questions or to share information or deabte a topic, others simply use it as place to complain and look for people to commiserate with. There's no constructive solution that anyone can provide to the OP's problem, because they're not looking for answers--they simply want to share their dislike of Seattle.
I could even understand it if he was sharing whey he left and saying, if you like these things, don't move to seattle....but saying, "Hey, I hate it hear and always did, now I'm back in my complaining splendor" makes no sense. He said no reason at all about what brought him back to live in a place he grew up and hates - i.e. living at his parents for free, taking care of relative, won a free car which he had to pick up in Seattle...etc...

Old 05-01-2014, 12:07 AM

61 posts, read 103,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 206traveler View Post
I'm really bummed that I was unable to find a job in NYC and had to return to Seattle. I felt so alive and energized by the environment in NYC, and now I feel like Seattle is sucking the life out of me. Why does everyone here have to be so damn depressing and morose? My friends are recluses, no one here knows how to smile or interact with eachother, and the only time you see any life in this city is on a weekend night at the bars, when everyone is drunk... Damn alcoholics!

Can't wait for tour season to start. I really hate this place. I can't believe so many people like it.
You just described this place to a "T".

I've never seen such boring and depressing people in a city in all my damn life..lol!! It's really sad, not funny. I just left the east coast for a long visit and got back here and I'm all of a sudden depressed..

I can't continue to live here either. I'm use to outgoing and extroverted cities and people..

Old 05-01-2014, 12:08 AM

61 posts, read 103,903 times
Quote:
It's a tough place to make connections -- the toughest I've ever seen by a long shot. They didn't coin the term 'Seattle freeze' for no reason.
Yes, it is.

Old 05-01-2014, 04:37 AM

1,927 posts, read 1,884,009 times
There are likely many Seattles, that is, many subcultures within the city. That's true of most big cities. Seattlites can't all be morose, frozen, Asperger's Syndrome shut-ins.

For instance, Seattle has a reputation for being highly literate, its coffee houses and bookstores filled with book-readings and author panels. There must also be an arts scene. The city has live theater, film schools, comedy clubs, galleries.

Seattle is also known for its many outdoor, recreational, athletic opportunities.

The OP needs to find his interests, then seek out venues where like-minded people congregate.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area