Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-24-2014, 02:30 AM

4,472 posts, read 3,795,316 times

Advertisements

I'm not looking to move anywhere, just curious to what the most moderate/conservative suburbs are in the Seattle area. Feel free to elaborate.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2014, 03:28 AM

541 posts, read 1,719,263 times
Bellevue, Kirkland, Redmond, Issaquah, Everett, Mill Creek, Mount Vernon, to name a few. The Eastside is usually considered the more conservative area of the Puget Sound. Also the outlaying areas and counties.

Kitsap County to the west of Seattle is a mixed bag, but the military presence makes it more conservative, though some of the smaller towns there are more liberal.

Snohomish County's small towns are conservative, especially east county. Everett has a mix of both, but the military presence gives it a lot of conservative vibes, as does the city's government which is one of the few cities that is not in debt. Mill Creek is a conservative area as well.

King County is very liberal, except for the Eastside and the smaller towns in the rural parts of the county.

Pierce County is liberal, including Tacoma. Rural areas are conservative.

Thurston County is liberal, especially in Olympia.

Lewis County is conservative.

Skagit County is conservative.

Whatcom County is conservative except for Bellingham.

Old 04-24-2014, 04:33 AM

3,533 posts, read 5,790,268 times
Pierce County is hardly liberal once you leave Tacoma...

You would be surprised at how conservative a lot of areas of King, Pierce, Snohomish county can be.. The area is quite mixed.. Once you leave Seattle or Tacoma, the area becomes much more red around you.. Washington, is a libertarian/Republican type of state with very blue urban centers.

Thurston county hardly feels liberal outside of Olympia.. Very large military presence and rednecky population in Thurston. Mitt Romney in 2012 won about 40% of the vote in Thurston, if you exclude Olympia, that number maybe more like 90%.

Strangely enough, Romney won 30% of the vote in King County.. I just wonder if Seattle was incinerated by an asteroid in 2011, how those election votes would turn? I still think Obama would have won King, but not by a landslide, would have been much closer.

Old 04-24-2014, 08:55 AM

2,174 posts, read 4,372,811 times
I agree with Rotse, good post. I was surprised when I moved up here how conservative the state is once you leave Seattle proper. Before I moved up here I had the impression that WA was a liberal state. But it's really only Seattle and B-Ham that are blue. The rest of the state is pretty red. I think it's the same in Oregon once you get out of Portland and Eugene.

Old 04-24-2014, 09:05 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,061 posts, read 80,100,596 times
I would consider the eastside, especially where I am in Sammamish to be socially liberal but fiscally conservative. It makes for closer elections but they generally do end up with a majority voting democrat. The recent loss of Prop. 1 for the Lake WA school district shows the fiscal conservatism.

Old 04-24-2014, 09:43 AM

279 posts, read 477,849 times
You want conservative? Move to Orange County, CA. Now that's conservative for ya! lol.

I struggled with where to move to in Seattle based strictly on where it's not conservative. I started looking in Sammamish because of the great homes. I ended up looking in Bellevue because it was less conservative than Sammamish. But, I will eventually move to the city where I can be me and not offend any of my conservative fellow humans because of my radical, outlandish lifestyle. Oh wait... nevermind.... I'm only gay!

Old 04-24-2014, 11:18 AM

1,314 posts, read 2,044,664 times
I don't think any party has a lock on ignorance (plenty of bigotry exists in super-blue City of Seattle). I'm fairly conservative, but I support everyone's right to be who they are, live a life of their choosing and marry who they wish. I've spent a very happy year and a half in City of Seattle! I just sometimes have to hide part of who I am so as to not offend any of my fellow humans.

Old 04-24-2014, 11:44 AM

1,989 posts, read 2,522,147 times
The ones where all the evil racist white evil rich racist rich homophobic white guys live.

Old 04-24-2014, 11:55 AM

1,314 posts, read 2,044,664 times
I did not pay the poster above me to make my point for me. I just lucked into it, I swear.

Old 04-24-2014, 12:10 PM

21,988 posts, read 15,601,484 times
I think what one would call conservative on the Eastside would be considered liberal in red parts of the country. The Eastside may seem slightly conservative compared to Seattle, but they are wild crazy liberals compared to Texas, Oklahoma, Alabama, etc.

Here is an article that breaks down in greater detail how the various counties voted for President Obama in 2012 and Ref 74 for gay marriage in Washington State. You can see that the counties vary from intense blue in Seattle (voting 75-99%), slightly lighter blue on the Eastside (60-75%), lighter blue in other surrounding counties (50-60%) and to dark pink in Eastern Washington (10-35%). Interestingly, Okanogan county, bordering Canada, voted as blue as the Eastside (60-75%).

How Polarization Plays Out in Washington state: Voting for President and the Same-sex Marriage | Newgeography.com

Eastside suburbs joined Seattle in strong approval of gay marriage referendum | Politics Northwest | Seattle Times

While Eastern Washington is very conservative, they also have a much smaller population. Here is a map of the 2012 presidential election by proportion:

Election maps

Last edited by Seacove; 04-24-2014 at 12:42 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area