Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-27-2014, 07:51 AM

16 posts, read 71,658 times

Advertisements

I am a former native Seattlite (don't know if that's really a word), and I just accepted a position with Amazon and I am moving back to Seattle from Dallas here in a few weeks. I see that there are a few recent "Moving to Seattle" threads but didn't want to hijack them just to get a more personable scope of information.

I have been looking at Queen Anne(both upper and lower) and Capitol Hill for my close to downtown search, and Bellevue and Kirkland for my over yonder but still a reasonable commute areas.

What is traffic like during the "rush hour" times on the 520 or on 90 crossing the water mass which I think is called Lake Washington, when coming from the Bellevue/Kirkland/Redmond area?

I am very easy to please when it comes to living, I have set a huge budget disparity to help open up where I live, generally though for a rental I don't want to pay more than about 1800$ a month will consider more as the area dictates. Seen everything in all the area's I am looking ranging from 800-2500 a month... what are some area's that I should try and avoid when considering things like traffic/crime/impromptu karate street fights in the Seattle and surrounding areas?

I also don't mind a little longer than normal commutes, does anyone have insight on living a little farther south like the area's east or south of SEA-TAC? Think that's like Renton and Kent?

I was also looking a bit even more farther south in the Puyallup and Auburn/Federal Way area as I love those area's but without knowing what the traffic will be like that could be a suicide inducing drive.

Really trying to keep the commute to an hour or less for my first year there, after that year I plan on buying a home and will reevaluate my sanity.

Thanks for the input!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2014, 10:20 AM

35 posts, read 78,955 times
I can't help you with your questions, but congratulations on moving back! I am a Dallas native and moved here last July for my husbands job. I was so glad to leave the heat, crime, and unattractive landscape behind! Enjoy coming home and best of luck!

Old 04-27-2014, 10:58 AM

347 posts, read 669,642 times
Why would you want to avoid impromptu karate street fights? Sounds like free entertainment to me!

Old 04-27-2014, 11:16 AM

53 posts, read 97,222 times
Capitol Hill studios are running about $1400-1800 right now (without parking). Your commute down the hill would be easy - a nice walk - but we have a lot of crime (strong arm and armed robberies, vehicle prowls, etc.), homelessness, heroin, crack, public drunkenness, lots of sirens and other noise pollution (drunks people hooting and hollering, busses, horns, etc), and a lot of general rowdiness at night, especially the weekends. We are a very lively neighborhood. The tradeoff for all of the above is that there are about 30 bars and restaurants within a two block radius of me. But, you know, not much peacefulness.

At your commute times, you could log onto the WSDOT website and look at the flow maps and the traffic cameras to give you an idea of your commute. WSDOT - Seattle Washington Cameras They also have a pretty great twitter feed.

Old 04-27-2014, 11:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by es_em View Post
Capitol Hill studios are running about $1400-1800 right now (without parking). Your commute down the hill would be easy - a nice walk - but we have a lot of crime (strong arm and armed robberies, vehicle prowls, etc.), homelessness, heroin, crack, public drunkenness, lots of sirens and other noise pollution (drunks people hooting and hollering, busses, horns, etc), and a lot of general rowdiness at night, especially the weekends. We are a very lively neighborhood. The tradeoff for all of the above is that there are about 30 bars and restaurants within a two block radius of me. But, you know, not much peacefulness.

At your commute times, you could log onto the WSDOT website and look at the flow maps and the traffic cameras to give you an idea of your commute. WSDOT - Seattle Washington Cameras They also have a pretty great twitter feed.

Awesome info, thank you!

Old 04-27-2014, 11:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Momofmad View Post
I can't help you with your questions, but congratulations on moving back! I am a Dallas native and moved here last July for my husbands job. I was so glad to leave the heat, crime, and unattractive landscape behind! Enjoy coming home and best of luck!

Haha, thank you! I am certainly happy to be seeing trees again, I missed trees. And hills!!

Old 04-28-2014, 03:55 PM

326 posts, read 962,308 times
We moved from Dallas to Seattle in October and chose the Mt Baker/SE Seattle area. There aren't a lot of apartments I would consider in the area, but there are house rentals. We wanted to avoid traffic on the bridges and have the option to get everywhere via city streets (no highways) or transit (light rail or bus). I also love being close to the lake. We have other Dallas friends that are renting a townhouse in West Seattle and some that are out in Kirkland. Lots of people are making the move up from Dallas, it seems (and I love the change).

Old 04-29-2014, 01:56 PM

50 posts, read 97,602 times
Crum, I would try to find something as close to Amazon headquarters as possible - even within reasonable walking distance. You want to keep your sanity and you'll likely be spending more time than you think at work. If it were me, I'd forgo the commute almost entirely and fully embrace the city. Belltown (not the party side along Western/First/Second), Denny-Blaine, Capitol Hill, lower Queen Anne.

Amazon H.R. can help locate some buildings to try.

Old 04-29-2014, 02:01 PM

1,511 posts, read 1,973,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by es_em View Post
Capitol Hill studios are running about $1400-1800 right now.
I don't want to make Seattle seem inexpensive, because it's not, but that is high. I mean you CAN spend that much for a studio if you want but heck, you can find one-bedrooms for under 1400 on Capitol Hill.

Old 04-29-2014, 10:00 PM

710 posts, read 1,397,743 times
I moved from Houston to Seattle two years ago and settled in upper Queen Anne. It's gorgeous with great views and old houses everywhere you go. It's way quieter than Capitol Hill and rent is cheaper too with more parking options and less crime. Short 20 minute walk to Seattle Center or about 40 minute walk to Westlake downtown (bus takes about 20 minutes with all the stops).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area