U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-07-2014, 04:34 AM

14 posts, read 15,329 times

Advertisements

I thought it was bad. Then I moved to LA. I miss Seattle. Will be back in two years.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2014, 11:25 AM

1,511 posts, read 1,796,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deezus View Post
It's mainly just a mess because of the tight geography of the area. In comparison Los Angeles or the Bay Area is bad, but there's often several routes to choose from that might be better(unless you're stuck going across a trans-bay bridge in the Bay Area).
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ira500 View Post
But if you're in Seattle, and have to go out in that stuff during rush hour, it doesn't matter if other cities have it worse. Sitting in traffic is soul killing.

So my answer is : The traffic is that bad, for me, because I'm too often in it. And it doesn't look like it's going to get better anytime soon.
The above sum it up pretty well. I've lived within the city itself, which has usually put me very close to work, for 15 years now, despite rising rents, terrible parking, and other standard urban hassles. Whenever I've had to deal with a longer commute and traffic in Seattle, I'm like HOW DO PEOPLE DO THIS EVERY DAY AND NOT GO INSANE?! I guess people just get numb to it doing it year after year, but I'm convinced that the physical and mental toll of sitting in traffic every morning and evening has got to be significant. Plus... all those lost hours of your life.

There just isn't room to expand roads much, even if that is the route we wanted to go. (and even if that would be particularly effective) I think this city needs to start addressing differently about how it moves people around, because traffic is NOT getting better...

Living centrally works out pretty well for us but I don't know what we'd do if we had kids and needed more room. Try to move somewhere with decent schools AND near the light rail line I suppose. Does such a place even exist?

Old 05-07-2014, 06:50 PM

43 posts, read 73,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by portlanderinOC View Post
So I'm moving from SoCal to Seattle in June.
Lots of people tell me Seattle's traffic is comparable to LA, but I know lots of people who live around here that say it's nothing like LA. However, last time I went up there to see my friend in Everett, I took 405 because I assumed the rush hour traffic would be worse going through Downtown, but it was just as bad, if not worse.
I live in Orange County, and in most cases, we have plenty of alternate routes to avoid traffic congested areas, but since Seattle doesn't seem to have that, I would of course assume that it's worse. Although the second time I went up towards Everett, it was later afternoon, and I took 5 and the traffic wasn't as bad as when I took 405.
Seattle traffic is, in fact, worse than LA. Every time I have encountered it (I don't live there, luckily), it was worse than the South Bay curve on the 405 in SoCal during rush hour, which is often cited as the worst in the country.

I have yet to find a pattern to it, aside from the standard morning/evening rush hours. One time I'll drive straight through Seattle on I-5 and it is completely clear (and raining?). The next time (say, 15:00 on a random Sunday afternoon with scattered clouds) it'll be a parking lot with no end in sight or discernible cause.

Surface streets also seem to have worse traffic. Downtown near the waterfront is the exception - it has some of the lightest traffic I've seen in the area until you're on the other side of Lake Washington. I speculate this is because it's so incredibly walkable, has good public transit, and has so little parking that it isn't worth driving. Seattle and the close-in surrounding suburbs are all extraordinarily-dense for the west coast.

Old 05-07-2014, 11:12 PM

410 posts, read 930,069 times
How bad is Seattle traffic?

Bad enough that I've declined every promotion my employer's Seattle offices have offered me. No way I'd trade my quality of life in Bellingham for that mess...

It's a totally different animal than the Seattle I knew and loved in the early '90s. Visit, yes, live in, hell no.

Old 05-08-2014, 11:34 AM

462 posts, read 667,226 times
Ya I dont get the traffic here either, its amazing how stupid it really is. Seriously, do people just forget how to drive when it rains even a little bit? You would think with this area being a cloudy and rainy climate people could eventually figure out how to drive in rain. Nope, people go herp derp derp and just act like idiots. The other thing is it is wildy inconsistent. One day, a certain stretch of road is moving along at the speed limit, 1 or 2 days later, same stretch of road and same time of day it is backed up for no damn reason.

Old 05-08-2014, 01:47 PM

456 posts, read 705,776 times
I'm going to offer a slightly nuanced minority view. The traffic is certainly heavy during rush hour, geography has made things more difficult than in some other cities and outlying suburbs were built with less arteries to move cars around than I'd like but I've always found alternatives to keep my commuting tolerable. When I worked on the East Side and had to take the 520 every day, I initially used Metro and later ended up participating in a vanpool. Now that I work downtown I've found the express buses work really well. My wife who works at the hospitals downtown has always driven in via surface streets with a fairly steady time. For the most part when running errands in my car during the weekends I don't encounter many problems. I'm not denying all the other commuting experiences others have had or that there couldn't be improvements but the situation is not universally as grim either.

Old 05-08-2014, 02:25 PM

3,185 posts, read 4,507,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilson502 View Post
Ya I dont get the traffic here either, its amazing how stupid it really is. Seriously, do people just forget how to drive when it rains even a little bit? You would think with this area being a cloudy and rainy climate people could eventually figure out how to drive in rain. Nope, people go herp derp derp and just act like idiots. The other thing is it is wildy inconsistent. One day, a certain stretch of road is moving along at the speed limit, 1 or 2 days later, same stretch of road and same time of day it is backed up for no damn reason.
This is a highly accurate post, but I believe I've figured out the randomness. IF you're ever wondering if there's going to be traffic, follow this handy dandy list of questions to find your answer:

Is the sky too cloudy? TRAFFICJAMOMGEVERYBODYSLAMONTHEBRAKES!!!!!!!!
Is the sun out? TRAFFICJAMOMGEVERYBODYSLAMONTHEBRAKES!!!!!!!!
Did it rain earlier today? Are the roads wet, dry, or damp? TRAFFICJAMOMGEVERYBODYSLAMONTHEBRAKES!!!!!!!!
Is this the third Thursday of an odd-numbered month on the calendar? TRAFFICJAMOMGEVERYBODYSLAMONTHEBRAKES!!!!!!!!
Do you see a horse or other interesting thing on the side of the road?
TRAFFICJAMOMGEVERYBODYSLAMONTHEBRAKES!!!!!!!!
Is snow in the forecast any time for the next two weeks?
OMG SNOWPOCALYPSE EVERYONE'S CAR IS BURSTING INTO FLAMES!!!!!

Old 05-08-2014, 02:39 PM

462 posts, read 667,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Garfunkle524 View Post
This is a highly accurate post, but I believe I've figured out the randomness. IF you're ever wondering if there's going to be traffic, follow this handy dandy list of questions to find your answer:

Is the sky too cloudy? TRAFFICJAMOMGEVERYBODYSLAMONTHEBRAKES!!!!!!!!
Is the sun out? TRAFFICJAMOMGEVERYBODYSLAMONTHEBRAKES!!!!!!!!
Did it rain earlier today? Are the roads wet, dry, or damp? TRAFFICJAMOMGEVERYBODYSLAMONTHEBRAKES!!!!!!!!
Is this the third Thursday of an odd-numbered month on the calendar? TRAFFICJAMOMGEVERYBODYSLAMONTHEBRAKES!!!!!!!!
Do you see a horse or other interesting thing on the side of the road?
TRAFFICJAMOMGEVERYBODYSLAMONTHEBRAKES!!!!!!!!
Is snow in the forecast any time for the next two weeks?
OMG SNOWPOCALYPSE EVERYONE'S CAR IS BURSTING INTO FLAMES!!!!!
Seriously, self driving cars cannot come fast enough.

Old 05-08-2014, 03:22 PM

8,729 posts, read 10,786,328 times
I guarantee you if you borrow drivers from Europe and there are still the same amount of cars on the roads, most of the traffic will disappear.

Old 05-11-2014, 01:57 PM

45 posts, read 97,573 times
If you do not like traffic, stay away from big cities.

Traffic is not going away.....DEAL with it!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area