U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-11-2014, 10:20 PM

231 posts, read 549,738 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by thatguy950 View Post
Having lived in both cities I can say LA traffic is worse, but Seattle's is FAR, FAR more frustrating. Mostly it comes down to the drivers (or lack thereof) in Seattle.

"Going up the bridge rise on the west channel of I-90, no one is in front, better hit the brakes"
"Going up Kennydale Hill, no one in front of me, better hit the brakes"
"Merging, traffic is going 60+, better merge with my brakes"
"Need to change lanes, and I have 1.5 miles to do it, open space in front of the car next to me...well I better hit the brakes instead of the gas"
"One rain drop, wide open road, better hit the brakes"
"Left lane, open road, going 10mph under...hmmm too fast, I better hit the brakes"

People here are allergic to the gas pedals, this is what causes most of our traffic. I have never seen people use their brakes so often, and drive so slowly and in such a confused manner. No left lane etiquette, no ability to merge, clueless, passive-aggressive (oh this guy may want to go in front, better make sure he can't even though I've been driving slow in the left lane), and just plain dumb behind the wheel in Seattle.
LMAO! You hit the nail on the head! I was always SOOOO frustrated driving in Seattle. I just moved to Florida and LOVE how people here know how to use the gas pedal!! I was driving on the freeway at 80 today and getting passed! Too funny! That would NEVER happen in Seattle where the brake pedal is a drivers best friend. Of course it helps here that you never see a cop on the side of the road.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2014, 01:47 PM

96 posts, read 265,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Garfunkle524 View Post
This is a highly accurate post, but I believe I've figured out the randomness. IF you're ever wondering if there's going to be traffic, follow this handy dandy list of questions to find your answer:

Is the sky too cloudy? TRAFFICJAMOMGEVERYBODYSLAMONTHEBRAKES!!!!!!!!
Is the sun out? TRAFFICJAMOMGEVERYBODYSLAMONTHEBRAKES!!!!!!!!
Did it rain earlier today? Are the roads wet, dry, or damp? TRAFFICJAMOMGEVERYBODYSLAMONTHEBRAKES!!!!!!!!
Is this the third Thursday of an odd-numbered month on the calendar? TRAFFICJAMOMGEVERYBODYSLAMONTHEBRAKES!!!!!!!!
Do you see a horse or other interesting thing on the side of the road?
TRAFFICJAMOMGEVERYBODYSLAMONTHEBRAKES!!!!!!!!
Is snow in the forecast any time for the next two weeks?
OMG SNOWPOCALYPSE EVERYONE'S CAR IS BURSTING INTO FLAMES!!!!!
We really need to start pulling over and ticketing people for this, but no, we're too busy giving people $150 tickets for going six over the speed limit (happened to a friend of mine last week).

Old 05-12-2014, 02:53 PM

1,883 posts, read 1,853,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kreebby View Post
We really need to start pulling over and ticketing people for this, but no, we're too busy giving people $150 tickets for going six over the speed limit (happened to a friend of mine last week).
That's the truth. I have NEVER seen such ticket-happy cops (gestapo) in my entire driving life, unreal. My first ticket was for 5 over, down Somerset Hill in Bellevue (I.E. nearly vertical), I couldn't believe it and thought he was joking at first. Second was on I-90 going 67 coming into Issaquah from North Bend, I was literally just inside the 60mph zone from the 70mph zone and slowing gradually, but the jackass WSP "officer" had no mercy and I guess I didn't slow down fast enough, he was camped out right around the corner near the plateau exit (I see them there all the time now a days). I hear stories like that all the time, the cops are terrible here.

Old 05-13-2014, 02:29 PM

338 posts, read 805,375 times
I went for 25 years driving with a perfect, clean record. No tickets.
Until I got to Seattle.

I got a $125 ticket for going 3 over the limit to get up a steep hill in a tiny 4 cylinder car in the rain. 3 over.
And to give me the ticket, the stupid cop got off his bike and walked out in front of my car in the rain to stop me and tell me to pull over. He's lucky no one hit him.

And then yesterday, I got a ticket because someone "complained" that I was "blocking an unmarked crosswalk." I wasn't. There was plenty of room to walk. No ramp to block, no marked curbs, no marked crosswalk. How, exactly, is a driver to know where an "unmarked" crosswalk falls then? *sigh*

Old 05-13-2014, 10:43 PM

317 posts, read 393,013 times
Re, "Surface streets also seem to have worse traffic. Downtown near the waterfront is the exception - it has some of the lightest traffic I've seen in the area..."

That'll change when the viaduct comes down and about 40% of its traffic moves to Alaskan Way.

Thankfully I live near the Lynnwood Park&Ride and most any shopping, restaurants and entertainment I like is close by. I'm most grateful for the express buses to downtown, especially the quiet and comfy Double Talls. When I do occasionally drive to work downtown I look at and pity those that deal with I-5 as part of their regular commute, those that have no bus or carpooling options. Too bad so much money is being wasted on streetcars and Link, systems that do nothing for that majority of commuters except take some buses off the road. Expanding the bus system to give some of those commuters an option would be a better use of those funds.

On the bright side, the miss-use of transportation money and Seattle's geography, and the resulting traffic mess might help slow population growth in the area.

Old 05-15-2014, 06:46 AM

1,148 posts, read 1,413,309 times
I tested the 405 traffic during rush hour several weekdays last yr. All the locals warned not to leave when I did. Compared to bay area traffic, it was a walk in the park. Took me maybe 40-45 min to get from Kirkland to downtown Seattle and then West Seattle each day. Yes, the cars were piled up, but some of these people do not know what a hellish commute really is. On a stress level, my bay area commutes were a 10 and this would be about a 4.

Old 05-16-2014, 08:42 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, originally from SF Bay Area
36,880 posts, read 67,222,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thatguy950 View Post
That's the truth. I have NEVER seen such ticket-happy cops (gestapo) in my entire driving life, unreal. My first ticket was for 5 over, down Somerset Hill in Bellevue (I.E. nearly vertical), I couldn't believe it and thought he was joking at first. Second was on I-90 going 67 coming into Issaquah from North Bend, I was literally just inside the 60mph zone from the 70mph zone and slowing gradually, but the jackass WSP "officer" had no mercy and I guess I didn't slow down fast enough, he was camped out right around the corner near the plateau exit (I see them there all the time now a days). I hear stories like that all the time, the cops are terrible here.
The fact is, on the eastside there is very little crime, so the police have to earn their pay by traffic tickets to contribute to the city/state budgets. Yes, I have seen people ticketed for going as little as 3 mph over the limit. The hills are already hard on brakes, but coming from N Bend to Issaquah you can't coast to 60, you have to hit the pedal. This is a favorite hangout for the WSP. Lately I have been seeing lots of Sammamish patrol cars ticketing in the 25 mph zones on streets off of 212th, and off of Inglewood Hill Rd.

Old 05-17-2014, 11:41 AM

51 posts, read 60,618 times
So traffic in and around Seattle is bad, and it seems it has been bad for quite some time. I know they are "renovating" the Viaduct with a new tunnel, and the 520 bridge is being replaced, but are there plans to remedy the bottlenecks in certain areas? What are the realistic solutions in the next five years that the State has planned? The population will continue to rise, but does WSDOT have a plan or is it just all talk? More light rails or more/wider roads?

Old 05-17-2014, 06:49 PM

2,982 posts, read 4,405,108 times
The tunnel to replace the viaduct is thus far a failure and may not happen at all, and certainly not for a long, long time. Traffic will really not improve anytime soon.

Old 05-19-2014, 08:33 PM

854 posts, read 1,056,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Garfunkle524 View Post
This is a highly accurate post, but I believe I've figured out the randomness. IF you're ever wondering if there's going to be traffic, follow this handy dandy list of questions to find your answer:

Is the sky too cloudy? TRAFFICJAMOMGEVERYBODYSLAMONTHEBRAKES!!!!!!!!
Is the sun out? TRAFFICJAMOMGEVERYBODYSLAMONTHEBRAKES!!!!!!!!
Did it rain earlier today? Are the roads wet, dry, or damp? TRAFFICJAMOMGEVERYBODYSLAMONTHEBRAKES!!!!!!!!
Is this the third Thursday of an odd-numbered month on the calendar? TRAFFICJAMOMGEVERYBODYSLAMONTHEBRAKES!!!!!!!!
Do you see a horse or other interesting thing on the side of the road?
TRAFFICJAMOMGEVERYBODYSLAMONTHEBRAKES!!!!!!!!
Is snow in the forecast any time for the next two weeks?
OMG SNOWPOCALYPSE EVERYONE'S CAR IS BURSTING INTO FLAMES!!!!!
Hilarious
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area