Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-07-2014, 10:36 AM

1,511 posts, read 1,973,372 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RotseCherut View Post
No more ridiculous than people being glued to their smartphones all day and blatantly avoiding human contact. It's one thing to use a smartphone for necessary reasons, its another thing to hide behind your smartphone because you fear social interaction. There are sociopathic issues about some of our modern innovations that must be addressed.
It takes a real special kind of obliviousness to in one breath go on about the two concealed pistols and knife you carry in public and in the next admonish people enjoying music on their headphones as having issues with social interaction.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2014, 01:24 PM

3,533 posts, read 5,831,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BATCAT View Post
It takes a real special kind of obliviousness to in one breath go on about the two concealed pistols and knife you carry in public and in the next admonish people enjoying music on their headphones as having issues with social interaction.

Man killed, woman seriously hurt in random Seattle stabbing | Local News | The Seattle Times

Just because I am not naive and believe in the ability to defend myself rather than be a weak, helpless victim who also puts an additional strain on already taxed resources of our police department, doesn't make me oblivious to humanity. People like you are why this innocent man had to be stabbed to death defending the life of his female friend. Perhaps, it is you who is oblivious and short-sighted? But, I doubt you would even be aware. You are probably too busy glued to your phone while your walking around to realize that Seattle does have its fair share of mentally disturbed and dangerous people walking around. In general a pistol, pepper spray and knife works a lot better at defending yourself against a madman with a weapon than your bare hands as this article has proven. Ok, so good attempt to hijack my thread.

Anyhow, that is such typical passive aggressive response to attack me that I carry a gun for self-defense and try to avoid facing the subject at hand. I guess you probably have nothing great to contribute and attacking my character is the only thing that gives you any satisfaction. There are plenty of people who don't carry guns who also share my sentiments about the anti-social and device obsessed people in Seattle.

I guess I am just a horrible person that I think people should spend more time interacting with each other rather than being glued to their phones and avoiding human contact.

Of course, the hard-headed grumpy people have come in full force to unleash the fury and wrath of passive aggressiveness on me rather than have a civil conversation.. Great work!

Old 05-07-2014, 01:27 PM

2,319 posts, read 3,051,605 times
I like to be able to see and hear what is going on around me, particularly if I am in a City environment. You won't catch me on a cell phone, etc. in public places like that.

Old 05-07-2014, 05:15 PM

8,011 posts, read 8,208,250 times
Quote:

Man killed, woman seriously hurt in random Seattle stabbing | Local News | The Seattle Times

Just because I am not naive and believe in the ability to defend myself rather than be a weak, helpless victim who also puts an additional strain on already taxed resources of our police department, doesn't make me oblivious to humanity. People like you are why this innocent man had to be stabbed to death defending the life of his female friend. Perhaps, it is you who is oblivious and short-sighted? But, I doubt you would even be aware. You are probably too busy glued to your phone while your walking around to realize that Seattle does have its fair share of mentally disturbed and dangerous people walking around. In general a pistol, pepper spray and knife works a lot better at defending yourself against a madman with a weapon than your bare hands as this article has proven. Ok, so good attempt to hijack my thread.

Anyhow, that is such typical passive aggressive response to attack me that I carry a gun for self-defense and try to avoid facing the subject at hand. I guess you probably have nothing great to contribute and attacking my character is the only thing that gives you any satisfaction. There are plenty of people who don't carry guns who also share my sentiments about the anti-social and device obsessed people in Seattle.

I guess I am just a horrible person that I think people should spend more time interacting with each other rather than being glued to their phones and avoiding human contact.

Of course, the hard-headed grumpy people have come in full force to unleash the fury and wrath of passive aggressiveness on me rather than have a civil conversation.. Great work!
Perhaps all Seattlers should live in fear of these mentally deranged and dangerous people who are crawling their streets and live in fear just like you.

All I see here is another crank trying to tell others what to do with their lives. The last thing this world needs. Mind your own business OP.

Last edited by Ro2113; 05-07-2014 at 05:38 PM..

Old 05-07-2014, 05:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ro2113 View Post
Perhaps all Seattlers should live in fear of these mentally deranged and dangerous people who are crawling their streets and live in fear just like you.

All I see here is another crank trying to tell others what to do with their lives. The last thing this world needs. Mind your own business OP.
Why don't you mind your own business.. I'll carry a gun with me if I want.. I within my rights and a law-abiding citizen. Freakin' fascist hypocrites to criticize me, then say I cannot criticize others.. Last I checked, people were allowed to share their opinions... You won't be able to shut me up, I believe in free speech, this is not Nazi Germany.. I can say that Seattlites are not exactly known to be tolerant and are generally xenophobic, despite promoting themselves as the opposite. Just try to make any type of criticism, like I have done here to witness this firsthand.

ANd, of course, rather than addressing the issue I have brought up, many of you acting like cowards and circumvent the topic at hand and attack me for my cultural/ethnic/political background, hobbies and beliefs on totally unrelated issues. Can you at least admit you have failed to win the argument since all you can do is act juvenile and poke fun at me rather than discuss the issues? I thought I was dealing with open-minded, free-thinking, progressive intellectuals not temperamental juveniles who are run by impulsiveness.

Last edited by RotseCherut; 05-07-2014 at 05:50 PM..

Old 05-07-2014, 06:00 PM

8,011 posts, read 8,208,250 times
Quote:
Why don't you mind your own business.. I'll carry a gun with me if I want.. I within my rights and a law-abiding citizen. Freakin' fascist hypocrites to criticize me, then say I cannot criticize others.. Last I checked, people were allowed to share their opinions... You won't be able to shut me up, I believe in free speech, this is not Nazi Germany.. I can say that Seattlites are not exactly known to be tolerant and are generally xenophobic, despite promoting themselves as the opposite. Just try to make any type of criticism, like I have done here to witness this firsthand.

ANd, of course, rather than addressing the issue I have brought up, many of you acting like cowards and circumvent the topic at hand and attack me for my cultural/ethnic/political background, hobbies and beliefs on totally unrelated issues. Can you at least admit you have failed to win the argument since all you can do is act juvenile and poke fun at me rather than discuss the issues? I thought I was dealing with open-minded, free-thinking, progressive intellectuals not temperamental juveniles who are run by impulsiveness.
I'm sorry the poster brought guns in this discussion but I'm not doing that though. I, the person you just quoted am not dodging you're issue. I'm telling you that the people on their smartphones in public are not purposely harassing you or annoying. You choose to be annoyed by them. I don't really see why an entire city should ban phone use in public places just because some random Moderator cut: see note

Given this very response you made it is pretty simple to see that there is more to this then just banning phone use in public places. This thread is some lame attempt at sarcasm towards heavy gun restrictions in the state isn't it? Or is this about the minimum wage hike?

Whatever the case, you don't seem happy in ol' leftist Seattle so why don't you leave?

Last edited by Count David; 05-07-2014 at 07:05 PM.. Reason: rude/personal

Old 05-07-2014, 07:13 PM

Quote:
This thread is some lame attempt at sarcasm towards heavy gun restrictions in the state isn't it? Or is this about the minimum wage hike?

Whatever the case, you don't seem happy in ol' leftist Seattle so why don't you leave?
This thread has nothing to do with people wanting to ban guns.. As a matter of fact, guns are not banned in Seattle. If someone is against guns and can still sympathize with me on the issue, I would respect them all the same.. I am not for banning smartphone use in public.. The thread was just hypothetical and I am a very pro-freedom person and would never want them banning smartphone use.. The thread is more about a social problem I see and I rather people work it out for themselves than require government intervention. That is the way I think and always will think , no matter what.. What I was implying was more of an apocalyptic scenario where just suddenly aliens from outerspace came to Seattle and would not let people use smartphones or earbuds in public and now they were forced to fend for themselves in public without the smartphone..

This thread also has nothing to do with minimum wage hike.. This thread has only to do with my perception of some social issues that Seattle may have and how the smartphone /earbuds/earphones may be contributing to some of them.

Quote:
I did leave Seattle, so you cannot tell me to leave. I live in a fairly conservative area up in the Northern part of the state. I only go into Seattle once a week or so for shopping. Although , I do enjoy some of its amenities. I just noticed a phenomenon when I was there of how closed off people seem and how they glue themselves to their phones.. I am sure Seattle, of course, is not the only place with this issue, I just notice it more there than where I live or other places I have visited.

Old 05-07-2014, 07:49 PM

415 posts, read 490,715 times
How unique is Seattle in this respect to comparably sized large cosmopolitan cities?

The attraction of city life is the freedom of being able to do whatever one's pleasure. The freedom of being a stranger among strangers...

Obviously the downsides include isolation, alienation, and anomie.

The only strangers who have the audacity or chutzpah to greet or interrupt are the crazy, asocial, creepers, beggars, petitioners or Mormon missionaries. People use those earbuds to wall themselves off because they are too "polite" or weak to say directly that they are not interested or open for a conversation. There are just too many strangers to get to know in the big city. It's a shame, because there are without a doubt thousands of undiscovered friends and kindred souls who never have a chance to get to know each other simply because people aren't open to it.

People discount each other and treat each other with such indifference and mistrust; there are so many people, that individuals are not valued as in smaller towns with fewer of them.

Old 05-07-2014, 07:58 PM

1,035 posts, read 1,709,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Molli View Post
I like to be able to see and hear what is going on around me, particularly if I am in a City environment. You won't catch me on a cell phone, etc. in public places like that.
I agree! I remember a news story a few years ago in Portland about a teenage(?) girl that had he hoody up and headphones on and was looking down as she stepped in front of the max train.

... as for banning smartphones/headphones in public. That's just silly!!!

Old 05-07-2014, 09:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottinpdx View Post
... as for banning smartphones/headphones in public. That's just silly!!!
I agree, I guess I should have not used the word BAN.. That was seriously an attempt at sarcasm on my part. It just seems in Seattle, people love LEGALIZING and BANNING things.. So, I did utilize the term for some dry humor, which I now regret, as people took it seriously and it caused such an outcry.

Anyhow, I should have changed the name of the thread to
If Aliens Came From Outerspace Conquering Seattle And Forbidding SmartPhone and EarBud/Headphone Use In PUblic

My apologies there... I am against banning things, I even voted to legalize weed, even though I don't smoke it or even think it is that good for you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area