Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-04-2014, 10:47 PM

3,533 posts, read 5,831,396 times

Advertisements

What would your theory be what would happen if the city of Seattle decided to make a ban on using smartphone and wearing headphones/earbuds in public. I wonder if there would be catastrophic consequences.. Perhaps, the city would be consumed in riots, murder, mayhem and chaos on a unfathomable scale. Or, maybe people would be forced to look at one another, smile more and bring back the long last art of conversation and once agin improve upon their interpersonal communication skills. Maybe, people would actually start engaging in activities and hobbies that are more thoguht provoking than travesring the endless blogs, rants and social networking pages on their smartphones..

Oh well, just a thought.. It's funny how when I come into Seattle once a week how the one thing I immediately recognize is hordes of people glued to their phones , wearing earbuds and seeming to be oblivious to the world around them.

I know, this is Seattle, I am not going to change it. . I was just wondering, in theory, wow, what would happen if things returned to back when I was a young lad, the days before there was smart phones, tablets, mini laptops and gazillions of other technological gadgets to consume them.

Anyhow, all this was just a thought.. Instead of fighting for $15 minimum wage, I am thinking maybe we can start a movement to band public use of Smartphones and earbud/headphone use in public.. Wow, what a different world Seattle would be..

Last edited by RotseCherut; 05-04-2014 at 11:05 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2014, 10:54 PM

8,736 posts, read 8,669,736 times
Yes, absolutely.. because appealing to the sensibility of social appropriateness is a far more urgent task than working towards social and economic equality and opportunity.

Old 05-04-2014, 11:13 PM

347 posts, read 669,699 times
Personally I'd rather live in a place where everyone was on smartphones and wearing earbuds than in one that banned them in public.

Old 05-04-2014, 11:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyled View Post
Personally I'd rather live in a place where everyone was on smartphones and wearing earbuds than in one that banned them in public.
Of course, me too... Heck, I use my smartphone and all types of other digital devices all the time.. I'm a software guy and sometimes don't have a choice..

The question was just, What If... What would happen to Seattle.. I never said the activities I indulge in are for the greater good ... Yeah, part of me feels there would be catastrophic changes if these devices were banned in public.. Would Seattle's music scene get cool again??

Old 05-05-2014, 12:47 AM

1,927 posts, read 1,901,429 times
Ray Bradbury addressed this issue in his 1953 short story, The Murderer: The Murderer - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

You can also see the 1980s TV adaption on YouTube:
Ray Bradbury Theater - The Murderer part 1 - YouTube

Part 2:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Da8GMiwS4R4

Part 3:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hXEEiZfYyqM

Old 05-05-2014, 12:59 AM

4,857 posts, read 7,610,481 times
Some questions shouldn't be asked.

Old 05-05-2014, 01:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinema Cat View Post
Ray Bradbury addressed this issue in his 1953 short story, The Murderer: The Murderer - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

You can also see the 1980s TV adaption on YouTube:
Ray Bradbury Theater - The Murderer part 1 - YouTube

Part 2:

Ray Bradbury Theater - The Murderer part 2 - YouTube

Part 3:

Ray Bradbury Theater - The Murderer part 3 - YouTube
Just watched the whole thing!! This is awesome.. Ray Bradbury was a prophet for his time!

Old 05-05-2014, 12:44 PM

314 posts, read 460,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingsaucermom View Post
Yes, absolutely.. because appealing to the sensibility of social appropriateness is a far more urgent task than working towards social and economic equality and opportunity.
That was kind of my feeling as well. Comparing to the fight for a living wage to...getting people to look up from their phones once in a while seemed a little...tool-level tone deaf.

Old 05-05-2014, 12:46 PM

314 posts, read 460,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RotseCherut View Post
I know, this is Seattle, I am not going to change it. I was just wondering, in theory, wow, what would happen if things returned to back when I was a young lad, the days before there was smart phones, tablets, mini laptops and gazillions of other technological gadgets to consume them.
Would you like us to get off your lawn as well?

Old 05-05-2014, 01:11 PM

9,961 posts, read 17,524,172 times
Yes, Seattle is the only place in the world where people use smartphones in public and wear headphones frequently.

Last edited by Deezus; 05-05-2014 at 01:22 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area