Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-04-2014, 11:12 AM

3,695 posts, read 11,366,617 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by krieger00 View Post
Well a first year school teacher only makes 36,533 a year in this state and some one that flips hamburgers at 15 an hour make some what close to that . That is my beef Some lowbrow fast-food worker can make more than a school teacher in some cases that is wrong.
The school teacher is working a 180-day contract with several months of vacation time. The fast food worker can only come close to that if they work 260 days a year with little or no vacation time. Not really comparable.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2014, 11:58 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,534 posts, read 81,025,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sean98125 View Post
The school teacher is working a 180-day contract with several months of vacation time. The fast food worker can only come close to that if they work 260 days a year with little or no vacation time. Not really comparable.
You can compare them to substitute teachers, who are only paid for the hours worked. In our local district they get $17.87/hour.

Old 06-04-2014, 12:01 PM

3,009 posts, read 3,640,424 times
Quote:

Yea but what job is more of benefit to society overall a good school teacher is .

Old 06-04-2014, 12:12 PM

3,009 posts, read 3,640,424 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilson502 View Post
Thats what I found so ironic about it all, *******s "claim" to be for the poor and middle class, but then they go herpie derp derp and come up nonsensical laws and measures that end up hurting the group they claim to help in the first place. The *******s have gotten just as bad as the extremists on the right. Far left and Far right are equally bad.

It is also going to hurt minorities and the uneducated when you think about it. Example if i owned a restaurant and needed to hire someone who am i going to hire?

Well someone that went to a culinary art schools is on the top of my list.

People with college degrees will get hired first and to me it shows you finished something and accuplished goals and so on.

Yea not all college people are smart and school is easy it all about staying forced and time management.

Old 06-04-2014, 12:20 PM

719 posts, read 986,364 times
Quote:
I'm still waiting for someone to justify how being a complete loser has earned a person $15 an hour. For most people, this work is temporary, and there is a light at the end of the tunnel. But if you're a career fast food or gas station employee, you've obviously made a series of exceedingly bad life choices. Why should anyone be rewarded for that?

Old 06-04-2014, 02:46 PM

6,351 posts, read 9,973,266 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessoftheCape View Post
I'm still waiting for someone to justify how being a complete loser has earned a person $15 an hour. For most people, this work is temporary, and there is a light at the end of the tunnel. But if you're a career fast food or gas station employee, you've obviously made a series of exceedingly bad life choices. Why should anyone be rewarded for that?
I agree 100%. One of the 15Now people was a man whose worked in fast food for eight years and still makes minimum wage...I'm sorry, but if you work the same minimum wage job for eight years and never get a raise you don't need a minimum wage, you need MINIMUM SENSE!

When I was sixteen I quit a fast-food job because he didn't give me a raise. How the hell does a grown man stay in one for that long?

Honestly, as someone who has been poor and grew up in the ghetto, I can say what Seattle liberals don't want to hear: SOME PEOPLE DESERVE TO BE POOR. If you are that unmotivated to even work your way up to supervisor at a fast food joint, you have no right to earn what people who worked their way to a degree earn.

Old 06-04-2014, 02:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoBlueInSeattle View Post
There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen year olds life:
The Lord of the Rings & Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs.

I once read 1984 and the Democratic Party platform in the same day.

One was a dystopian work depicting a bleak world of all powerful government, no personal freedom, surveillance everywhere and a world in which no one was happy or prosperous and in which the state brainwashed children and engaged in endless wars of aggression. The other, of course, was that novel written by George Orwell.

For the record, I'm no fan of Ayn Rand myself. Just saying.

Old 06-04-2014, 02:52 PM

1,710 posts, read 1,461,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessoftheCape View Post
Because that person in office is buying votes to stay in office. Nothing more.

Old 06-04-2014, 02:53 PM

Well, now that this is passed, I have no choice but to leave Seattle. Why? My job is most likely going to shut down. I've seen what the numbers are and there is NO WAY this is going to work for my job.

Any suggestions where to move to? I'm thinking maybe Bellevue, which will be the new financial capital of the North West, or maybe Spokane. Or I could just transfer to a restaurant in Texas or North Carolina.

But one thing is clear: every business owner in Seattle is going to be singing this song to her/his self as they don't renew their leases and relocate Bellevue, Kirkland or Issaquah:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L09qnRfZY-k

Old 06-04-2014, 03:09 PM

462 posts, read 741,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by victorianpunk View Post
Well, now that this is passed, I have no choice but to leave Seattle. Why? My job is most likely going to shut down. I've seen what the numbers are and there is NO WAY this is going to work for my job.

Any suggestions where to move to? I'm thinking maybe Bellevue, which will be the new financial capital of the North West, or maybe Spokane. Or I could just transfer to a restaurant in Texas or North Carolina.

But one thing is clear: every business owner in Seattle is going to be singing this song to her/his self as they don't renew their leases and relocate Bellevue, Kirkland or Issaquah:

Theres plenty of good choices in Northshore and Eastside. Shoreline, Kenmore, Lake Forest Park, Bothell, Woodinville, etc. Those places will be less expensive than Bellevue. Kirkland is another good choice to.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area