Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-11-2014, 08:22 AM

16,588 posts, read 27,390,347 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrueTimbers View Post
RC.. You hit my one soft spot... Small Business... The foundation of our nation...

It is a falicy to think we operate in a free market.. It is not... So I suggest policy as a solution. Start with campaign finance reform. Get the lobbyist and the money out of government.. Take away the influence large corporations have over lawmakers...

Change the laws, lower taxes for small start ups and nurse small fragile business. Tax the big boys that can handle it with deep pockets and record profits.

How are you suggesting we deal with the income inequality problem in this country?

How do we the people take back our nation from the 1%?
Let's see if they answer your questions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-11-2014, 09:03 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,576 posts, read 81,186,228 times
Quote:
RC.. You hit my one soft spot... Small Business... The foundation of our nation...

It is a falicy to think we operate in a free market.. It is not... So I suggest policy as a solution. Start with campaign finance reform. Get the lobbyist and the money out of government.. Take away the influence large corporations have over lawmakers...

Change the laws, lower taxes for small start ups and nurse small fragile business. Tax the big boys that can handle it with deep pockets and record profits.

How are you suggesting we deal with the income inequality problem in this country?

How do we the people take back our nation from the 1%?
It will never happen, they have all the power by buying the politicians. Do you really think they are going to tax themselves more? It's always been that way, the difference now is the diminishing middle class. Both technology and outsourcing of manufacturing have eliminated the jobs that used to sustain a living wage middle class, and meanwhile the public demands low prices. There are plenty of residents and workers in Seattle that can afford to pay more for things to support that wage increase but when they can they will choose not to.

I still fail to believe that a $15 minimum wage will make a difference because it will eliminate some jobs and cause prices to rise, so the people it's meant to help will be even worse off. Those that are living in less expensive areas and commuting to Seattle and have the skills to avoid being the first to go may benefit but then with the upcoming transit cuts they will be spending more of that $15 on the commute to work.

Old 05-11-2014, 10:22 AM

7,301 posts, read 13,516,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by victorianpunk View Post
I was raised by a welfare family and have members of my family who are addicted to it. It is the worst thing to happen to black America since slavery. My sister, for example, has been on welfare since she was seventeen, when she had her first of three kids by three different men. Just one of the reasons why I don't talk to the B *** and why I wouldn't morn if she died.

Liberalism against blacks: Welfare state destroying black America | Washington Times Communities

Society my foot. I don't pay jack. Look, we can give people a little welfare, maybe four years worth, but the idea of people living most of their lives mooching off of productive people is absurd. Will they "sink and die"? More likely they will be forced to work themselves out of poverty one step at a time. I did it and it isn't that hard. And if they do die...oh well. There are 6 billion people on this Earth. If a few go away because they couldn't survive in a place with as much opportunity as the US, why should I care?
I guess you have all the answers you need based on your experience of X number of years ago so keep on rockin buddy

Old 05-11-2014, 10:29 AM

1,981 posts, read 3,151,872 times
I think it has to happen...

It is nothing more than a Monopoly game "they" do not want to end... With the current trajectory we are on, the working class is headed to the poor house. When we can not afford to consume, the game ends... So "subsides" keep us in the game, so "they" can keep harvesting from our consumption.

As consumers we do have some control. IMHO the only vote that we have that counts is the one we make with our pocketbook. Every dollar we spend is a vote for what we want the future to be.

Hence, the reason I enjoy the community wide, keep it local mindset in Port Townsend..

Old 05-11-2014, 11:30 AM

9,437 posts, read 7,369,351 times
Quote:

By raising min wage, we are injecting money directly into the system... Give that land lord a raise, give that appliance sales person a sale... This money will be spent, without being laundered through the evil banking system.
No you aren't. The money isn't coming from outside the system, when you artificially inflate the minimum wage all you're doing is taking it out of Peters pocket and putting it in Pauls you aren't "injecting money into the system". What do you think happens when you force businesses to pay people more than they bring to the business? Prices go up, which defeats the purpose of raising wages, or people get laid off which means they make $0 / hour. The money isn't going to come out of the pockets of CEO's making millions of dollars because CEO's who make billions of dollars generally don't employ very many minimum wage workers. It's going to come out of the pockets of small business owners most of whom aren't making $100,000 much less millions.

You can't pay someone $15 / hour to make a widget when it takes an hour to make and only sells for $10. If you dictate that the business must pay $15 / hour the business will close or raise the price of the widget to $20.

Old 05-11-2014, 11:36 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,305,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by krieger00 View Post
I would not hire anyone that did not have a college degree . That is what is going to happen I hope it does anyway. I mean why hire some lowbrow idiot When you can have someone that knows a thing or two.
So then that person lacking a college degree who would rather flip burgers for minimum wage than sit home and collect welfare will now be forced into receiving welfare due to no job due to a lack of a college degree.

Old 05-11-2014, 11:44 AM

1,561 posts, read 2,371,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RotseCherut View Post
How many $15/hour threads will we have here?
More than anyone can count.

Old 05-11-2014, 12:54 PM

35,309 posts, read 52,305,052 times
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by RotseCherut
How many $15/hour threads will we have here?
Does it matter? its a forum, people talk about all kinds of stuff even if it gets to be ad-nauseum. Usually if i find a subject posted to death i just go somewhere else in the forum.

Old 05-11-2014, 01:46 PM

16,588 posts, read 27,390,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
Does it matter? its a forum, people talk about all kinds of stuff even if it gets to be ad-nauseum. Usually if i find a subject posted to death i just go somewhere else in the forum.
Seems simple enough.

Old 05-11-2014, 03:39 PM

1,981 posts, read 3,151,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Haakon View Post
No you aren't. The money isn't coming from outside the system, when you artificially inflate the minimum wage all you're doing is taking it out of Peters pocket and putting it in Pauls you aren't "injecting money into the system". What do you think happens when you force businesses to pay people more than they bring to the business? Prices go up, which defeats the purpose of raising wages, or people get laid off which means they make $0 / hour. The money isn't going to come out of the pockets of CEO's making millions of dollars because CEO's who make billions of dollars generally don't employ very many minimum wage workers. It's going to come out of the pockets of small business owners most of whom aren't making $100,000 much less millions.

You can't pay someone $15 / hour to make a widget when it takes an hour to make and only sells for $10. If you dictate that the business must pay $15 / hour the business will close or raise the price of the widget to $20.
Yes you are correct it is not money coming from the outside, not injected...

Yes it is a peter/paul thing. Redistribution.. Then raise the price of the widget, market that it is make right in town... People will pay more... Pass that buck on down the line.

System is stalled / stagnant, needs a kick start...

Again.. ALL I hear is "doom and gloom" Absolutely ZERO ideas on how to attempt to correct the very broken system...

Acknowledge inflation adjusted minimum wage has been going down for quite some time!
Acknowledge the ever widening gap between rich and poor is not healthy for this nation!

Propose a constructive creative solution... Instead of fear mongering and whining.

Hey... Those of us for this are all ears, for a better solution. Lets hear it!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area