Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-07-2014, 10:05 PM

5,002 posts, read 12,359,565 times

Advertisements

In the North End, Mukilteo Coffee Roasters. Met the owner/master roaster. He's a cool guy. Makes great coffee available in the local stores, and apparently has a huge following in Hong Kong of all places. Got his start selling home roasted coffee to folks waiting for the ferry.

In Seattle, first would be Zoka, then Vivace, then Victrola.

Mostly though, I'm starting to roast at home in the hopes of being able to sell small batch coffees to local restaurants, and bed and breakfasts, and maybe one day open my own coffee house. Exploring the world of coffee is SO easy, it boggles the mind more people don't roast at home.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2014, 10:21 PM

9,618 posts, read 27,339,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eskercurve View Post
In the North End, Mukilteo Coffee Roasters. Met the owner/master roaster. He's a cool guy. Makes great coffee available in the local stores, and apparently has a huge following in Hong Kong of all places. Got his start selling home roasted coffee to folks waiting for the ferry.

In Seattle, first would be Zoka, then Vivace, then Victrola.

Mostly though, I'm starting to roast at home in the hopes of being able to sell small batch coffees to local restaurants, and bed and breakfasts, and maybe one day open my own coffee house. Exploring the world of coffee is SO easy, it boggles the mind more people don't roast at home.
Indeed. It's very easy to roast at home, but it's not very easy to have it come out exactly the way you want it.
I've been roasting at home for 10+ years. I love doing it, and the product is fresher and better quality at a lower price than what you'd find at stores/coffee shops. So the real answer to the question is "My house."

Old 05-08-2014, 10:03 AM

8,171 posts, read 8,299,480 times
Coffee shop. Hands down, Makeda in Phinney Ridge.

Old 05-08-2014, 12:23 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,572 posts, read 81,167,557 times
I can tell you about the worst coffee in Sammamish. I kept a bonsai Coffea Arabica in my office window, and it blossomed, produced beans, and they ripened. I de-hulled, roasted and ground them and made a tiny little cup of coffee. It had very little flavor, I guess it really does have to be grown in a hot, mountain climate.
Attached Thumbnails
What's the best coffee in Seattle?-coffeetree.jpg   What's the best coffee in Seattle?-beans.jpg  

Old 05-08-2014, 01:01 PM

8,736 posts, read 8,668,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
I can tell you about the worst coffee in Sammamish. I kept a bonsai Coffea Arabica in my office window, and it blossomed, produced beans, and they ripened. I de-hulled, roasted and ground them and made a tiny little cup of coffee. It had very little flavor, I guess it really does have to be grown in a hot, mountain climate.
That's still really cool that you tried it though!

Old 05-08-2014, 04:22 PM

3,533 posts, read 5,830,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
Coffee should be grown in very mineral rich soils with strict temperature and humidity control according to the bean you are growing.. You would want to simulate the environment , as well as elevation requirements to grow your particular strain.. perhaps, the problem was not the coffee plant, but the fact you grew it in your office??

Old 05-08-2014, 05:13 PM

458 posts, read 958,157 times
For your at home enjoyment...Seth at Old Bisbee Roasters; roasted upon ordering and overnighted from Bisbee Arizona....some of the best coffee I have ever had anywhere in the world! I'm partial to Indonesian varieties from Bali, Flores, Sumatra, Papau but Seth has coffee from all over the globe!

Old 05-08-2014, 06:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beautifulseattlehomes View Post
For your at home enjoyment...Seth at Old Bisbee Roasters; roasted upon ordering and overnighted from Bisbee Arizona....some of the best coffee I have ever had anywhere in the world! I'm partial to Indonesian varieties from Bali, Flores, Sumatra, Papau but Seth has coffee from all over the globe!
I've had coffee from Old Bisbee Roasters, and it is indeed great. If you're even in Bisbee, Arizona( a great place), stop by there for a free espresso.

Old 05-08-2014, 07:55 PM

3,533 posts, read 5,830,649 times
In all honesty, I am going to look abroad, I'm overall not so happy with coffee in Seattle as of late.. Thanks for the tip on Old Bisbee Roasters. I have heard that San Francisco has taken the crown as of late of high quality, micro/artisian coffee roasters..

As far as the guy, Ira, who has me on his ignore list, so he won't see what I write, I would challenge him that roasting the bean is only half the battle, sourcing the beans is the other half. You really need good quality beans grown in the right environment and processed and dried the right way.. This will make a significant difference in coffee quality. With that being said, I have had great quality beans that were roasted to death and ended up tasting like crap.

I will certainly want to check out the Old Bisbee Roasters.. Never had coffee from an Arizona company before.. Sounds interesting.

Old 05-08-2014, 08:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RotseCherut View Post
In all honesty, I am going to look abroad, I'm overall not so happy with coffee in Seattle as of late.. Thanks for the tip on Old Bisbee Roasters. I have heard that San Francisco has taken the crown as of late of high quality, micro/artisian coffee roasters..

As far as the guy, Ira, who has me on his ignore list, so he won't see what I write, I would challenge him that roasting the bean is only half the battle, sourcing the beans is the other half. You really need good quality beans grown in the right environment and processed and dried the right way.. This will make a significant difference in coffee quality. With that being said, I have had great quality beans that were roasted to death and ended up tasting like crap.

I will certainly want to check out the Old Bisbee Roasters.. Never had coffee from an Arizona company before.. Sounds interesting.
Me? What? I have you on my ignore list? It ain't true. Why would I ignore you?
And I completely agree with you. It's not just the roast, it's also the quality of the beans and how they're processed. For roasting at home, Sweet Maria's always has great quality beans. But lately I've also been hitting up Ethiopian grocery stores and buying their green Sidamo beans. But, as far as quality goes, I think I don't know a whole lot. I've had some of the Civet Cat coffee, I've had Jamaican Blue Mountain, Kona, all very expensive, highly sought after coffee. And my reaction was "Eh."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area