U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-11-2007, 03:01 PM

36 posts, read 94,217 times

Advertisements

Hi,

I am thinking of relocating to Seattle with a yellow lab. I love taking her to the park and going on hikes. Are there a lot of off leash parks in Seattle and nearby towns? I heard that the ground stays too moist and is just too muddy to really take a dog out in the winter. Is that true?

Thanks!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-11-2007, 04:05 PM

1,992 posts, read 6,278,165 times
Nope. I see tons of people out at the dog park in Marymoor park (Redmond) at all times of the year. If the dog is rambuncious and likes to jump in the water, it will probably get a little muddy, but isn't that the whole point of owning a dog?

Old 12-11-2007, 04:16 PM

3,226 posts, read 13,340,110 times
If you don't want to do a full bath, then yes the fall and winter are too muddy for the parks. If you don't mind the clean up, then it's fine.

If the question is, will the park be muddy in the winter... the answer is definitely YES. (and in the fall, and much of the spring too).

Old 12-11-2007, 05:47 PM

Hahaha completely untrue. I take my Siberian husky (luxurious white coat) to the dog park regardless of the season. His paws will get muddy, but thats why you take a towel so you can wipe them off before he jumps in the car. Is there mud? yes....but unless your dog is rolling around like a pig, you won't have to do a "full bath". Most of the parks have sawdust and/or gravel trails you can stay on that takes the mud out of the equation entirely.

Old 12-11-2007, 08:15 PM

Our white boxer always had to get a full bath after the dog park, so no, not completely untrue. Maybe it's untrue for YOU - but that doesn't make it untrue for everyone. He would bound around, in and out of the water and sand and get all filthy. I am not complaining, just stating a fact. Obviously it didn't bother us too much because we did it a lot.

That's why there is that mobile dog washing station that you often see at Marymoor, and Magnusen and why that drop in dog washing place in Redmond is so busy and advertises at Marymoor - because people need it and use it.

Old 12-11-2007, 09:08 PM

471 posts, read 1,372,059 times
Default Jeez, Jen, where do you live?

Take my dog to Greenlake daily and don't have to do more than towel off his paws and maybe his belly if it's been raining.

Haven't pulled a towel out in over a week. It's not sopping wet mud - it's just dried out, cold dirt. Could be different in a shady area, but full-bath is not a regularity for me.

Depends more on the type of dog you have than the weather, methinks. My pooch doesn't roll around in the mud, just runs & chases squirrels.

Old 12-11-2007, 10:12 PM

Guess you guys just don't mind filth

Old 12-11-2007, 10:21 PM

36 posts, read 94,217 times
thanks for the feedback.

Old 12-11-2007, 10:47 PM

5,789 posts, read 14,040,945 times
There are dog parks and off leash areas all around the city
and many of the newer ones don't even use dirt. People go to
dog parks and off leash areas 365 days a year around here.
Here is one in the heart of the city.

Old 12-12-2007, 09:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jenbar View Post
Guess you guys just don't mind filth
I think you were the one that bundled your kids up like they were going on an Alaskan fishing expedition when the temperature dipped below 60....so it doesn't suprise me that you would need to give your dog a bath after a walk in the park
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area