Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-20-2014, 09:50 AM

403 posts, read 681,069 times

Advertisements

Facing some of the windstorms that hit the Maple Valley/east side foothills areas, while they can be quite fierce (especially when you get gap winds coming through the passes), would not be any more daunting than facing the potential tropical storms/hurricanes in the area that the OP is moving from. And as they can probably attest, getting homeowner's insurance here is significantly more difficult and expensive than it will be there. Not only did our property taxes jump tremendously upon moving here, but insurance policy costs did too. The Houston area is quickly losing its "affordable" label. Yes, the purchase price of a home is still somewhat low, but that is changing by the month. The county appraisal districts pretty much maxed out everyone's appraisals, and I suspect this will continue for a few years to come. We just bought here in 2012 and I'm fairly confident that we could sell for close to $30,000 over what we paid. For us, the cost-of-living has pretty much been a wash.

Being an outdoors person, I would love Maple Valley due to the proximity to the Issaquah Alps and all of the opportunities there. Plus you're nicely positioned for getting into the Cascades via I-90 or the White River/Rainier area via 410. We chose to live 40 miles north of Seattle because I want to live close to activities I do outside of work. I also had the option of working more of a flex schedule with an early start/leave time. I am also of the work-to-live mindset, which is a shrinking faction nowadays, where sometimes survival at your job requires the opposite behavior.

Mill Creek is a nice place and all, but there is a bit of an air of pretentiousness there. As one person mentioned they do get more rainfall, as does most of the north Sound area due to the convergence zone. Coming from Texas, where persistent drought has existed for several years and does not look to be waning any time soon, I would gladly welcome the rain and green that comes with it. Then again, the "oppressiveness" of winter there never really bothered me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2014, 10:00 AM

8 posts, read 10,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by analogkid84 View Post
Facing some of the windstorms that hit the Maple Valley/east side foothills areas, while they can be quite fierce (especially when you get gap winds coming through the passes), would not be any more daunting than facing the potential tropical storms/hurricanes in the area that the OP is moving from. And as they can probably attest, getting homeowner's insurance here is significantly more difficult and expensive than it will be there. Not only did our property taxes jump tremendously upon moving here, but insurance policy costs did too. The Houston area is quickly losing its "affordable" label. Yes, the purchase price of a home is still somewhat low, but that is changing by the month. The county appraisal districts pretty much maxed out everyone's appraisals, and I suspect this will continue for a few years to come. We just bought here in 2012 and I'm fairly confident that we could sell for close to $30,000 over what we paid. For us, the cost-of-living has pretty much been a wash.

Being an outdoors person, I would love Maple Valley due to the proximity to the Issaquah Alps and all of the opportunities there. Plus you're nicely positioned for getting into the Cascades via I-90 or the White River/Rainier area via 410. We chose to live 40 miles north of Seattle because I want to live close to activities I do outside of work. I also had the option of working more of a flex schedule with an early start/leave time. I am also of the work-to-live mindset, which is a shrinking faction nowadays, where sometimes survival at your job requires the opposite behavior.

Mill Creek is a nice place and all, but there is a bit of an air of pretentiousness there. As one person mentioned they do get more rainfall, as does most of the north Sound area due to the convergence zone. Coming from Texas, where persistent drought has existed for several years and does not look to be waning any time soon, I would gladly welcome the rain and green that comes with it. Then again, the "oppressiveness" of winter there never really bothered me.
Good feedback. Thanks. I agree with you on work to live. Too bad our society is going the other way. It's like a badge of honor if you're willing to work yourself to death for a company that couldn't possibly care less about you. They don't even call you a person. They call you a resource.

Old 05-20-2014, 12:57 PM

320 posts, read 512,751 times
Wow, my wife and I were planning to move out there soon (as soon as one of us finds a job) but this thread is scaring me! lol. That said, we have considerably different criteria than the OP.

We'd like to live somewhere in Seattle, within bike/transit of our jobs (I'm currently looking at Amazon, but who knows how that'll turn out). Our budget for a house (though we'll probly rent for 4-6 months first) is about $450k, and ideally we'd like to get a older house with the intention of gutting it before we move in (we do have some equity). We'd like to be somewhere with decent schools, but don't have kids yet, so an "up and coming" or "in transition" neighborhood would be fine.

Are we anywhere near meeting that goal or am I way off base thinking I'll be able to pull that off?

Old 05-20-2014, 04:53 PM

102,188 posts, read 107,790,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RufusXavierSarsparilla View Post
We've decide to move to Seattle from Houston, TX. We moved to Houston almost 5 years ago which is enough time to determine it kind of sucks. Not job-wise, as far as employment goes it's probably one of the best places in the country but there's more to life than that.

We've visited Seattle several times and have even explored some suburbs but we don't know it near as good as locals and wouldn't presume that we do.

What I'd be looking for is probably areas of new construction. Within 25-35 minutes of downtown. Somewhere in the suburbs when I can buy something new and nice for up to $400K for 4 bedrooms, 3 full baths. An area with highly rated public schools. Also important is reasonable proximity to a bus park and ride or train station. I hate commuting but love to nap or surf the net while a bus driver or train does the commuting for me.

I'm sure there are plenty of places that meet these requirements and I've done a lot of research myself but since I'm not local I don't really know where the best places area.
You're dreaming, OP. You'll have to scale down your expectations considerably, or stay put. Sorry, but that's the reality.

Old 05-20-2014, 04:55 PM

102,188 posts, read 107,790,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eightbitguy View Post
Wow, my wife and I were planning to move out there soon (as soon as one of us finds a job) but this thread is scaring me! lol. That said, we have considerably different criteria than the OP.

We'd like to live somewhere in Seattle, within bike/transit of our jobs (I'm currently looking at Amazon, but who knows how that'll turn out). Our budget for a house (though we'll probly rent for 4-6 months first) is about $450k, and ideally we'd like to get a older house with the intention of gutting it before we move in (we do have some equity). We'd like to be somewhere with decent schools, but don't have kids yet, so an "up and coming" or "in transition" neighborhood would be fine.

Are we anywhere near meeting that goal or am I way off base thinking I'll be able to pull that off?
Check the real estate listings, and see for yourself. You don't give the size of the house you want, but $450 doesn't sound do-able anywhere in Seattle, except a condo, with luck.

Old 05-20-2014, 05:23 PM

7,743 posts, read 15,864,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Check the real estate listings, and see for yourself. You don't give the size of the house you want, but $450 doesn't sound do-able anywhere in Seattle, except a condo, with luck.
Why don't you check the R.E. listings and see for yourself? You clearly have not, because you would've seen that is actually very do-able. 8bitguy has a more realistic list of wants and could actually find what he's looking for, even in Seattle Proper.

Old 05-21-2014, 09:41 AM

5,075 posts, read 11,067,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Actually it is doable if they're open to a doing a full gut remodel on a fixer. Pre-1950's houses, especially anything built prior to 1940 that have not been updated frequently sell for under $225/sq ft, so it's not impossible to find a 2000 sq ft house under $450K near Ballard. If you go to more transitional areas like Columbia City or Beacon Hill they're even more prevalent.

Old 05-21-2014, 12:20 PM

320 posts, read 512,751 times
Thanks for the confirmation. I did do a little digging and found what appeared to be several places that had sold or were listed below $300k, which is what we'd want to pay if we gutted a place. Of course we'll move there and rent first, find a neighborhood and a good agent, then stalk the listings till we find what we want even if it takes 6 months to a year, then gut. I was planning on moving in a month or so but not buying till the winter. We'll see, I have to find a job first. =)

Thanks, guys!

Old 05-21-2014, 12:49 PM

9,618 posts, read 27,330,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eightbitguy View Post
Thanks for the confirmation. I did do a little digging and found what appeared to be several places that had sold or were listed below $300k, which is what we'd want to pay if we gutted a place. Of course we'll move there and rent first, find a neighborhood and a good agent, then stalk the listings till we find what we want even if it takes 6 months to a year, then gut. I was planning on moving in a month or so but not buying till the winter. We'll see, I have to find a job first. =)

Thanks, guys!
I think that's a good plan. It's hard to judge a neighborhood by Google maps, and by opinions of people who are sometimes completely wrong. The thing about transitional neighborhoods is that some streets are much nicer than others, so as you explore a neighborhood, you might find a house on a real crappy street, but three blocks away it can be just awesome. Renting first makes good sense, especially if you're unfamiliar with neighborhoods. You rent in a place you later don't like, 6 months later it's easy to say goodbye to it. You buy a place you later don't like, it's much more complicated to get yourself out of there.
Also, one trick that some real estate agents use is to label the neighborhood a house is for sale in as what it's near, not where it's really at. For example, something is Hillman City or Rainier Valley might be called Columbia City, or something in the Central District might be called Capitol Hill.

Old 05-21-2014, 03:31 PM

456 posts, read 774,005 times
Just for another point of data:

Home prices climbing fastest in region’s most affordable spots | Business & Technology | The Seattle Times

The current median price of a house (including townhomes) sold last month in Seattle was 479,000 i.e. half the houses sold for more and half for less. There are definitely still lots of houses selling near 450.
Ben
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area