Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-25-2014, 12:37 PM

52 posts, read 91,173 times

Advertisements

Hi,

I'm finally moving to Seattle as of the end of this month, but had a few questions related to settling in there...

Does anyone know of a decent African-American-oriented barbershop in Seattle? While I can cut my own hair, I'd much rather go to somewhere more professional.

Is there a particular mall people there like more than others? Northgate Mall (and the Target/Best Buy near it per Google) seems convenient for where I'll live, but seen some negative remarks about the neighborhood it's near.

Finally, is there a place particularly popular/to be avoided for buying beds (either a futon or a mattress), or affordable furniture in general?

Thanks...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-25-2014, 03:12 PM

9,618 posts, read 27,342,201 times
Earl's has been around a long time, and I've got friends who travel there to get their hair cut.
Earl's Cuts and Styles Seattle Washington

Old 05-25-2014, 03:26 PM

1,314 posts, read 2,054,720 times
Default .

Northgate is a fine neighborhood (it looks stereotypically Seattle - lots of trees, charming little houses). It's not upscale, but it's not scary. Often you will find people referring to parts of Seattle as "ghetto," but I sometimes wonder if those people have actually ever been in bad neighborhoods. I love the mall there and have never had any negative experiences.

Congratulations on your move! :-)

Last edited by angelenogirl; 05-25-2014 at 03:28 PM.. Reason: added info

Old 05-26-2014, 06:21 AM
fnh

2,888 posts, read 3,913,054 times
1. Earl's is a classic.

2. Northgate Mall is perfectly fine. In a bad neighborhood? Good grief, no.

3. Bedrooms & More in Wallingford has fantastic customer service and while you can spend a lot there you certainly don't have to, no hard sell. I had a very good experience there within the past six months.

Good luck!

Old 05-26-2014, 08:10 PM

1,748 posts, read 5,525,929 times
When I first moved here people told me Northgate was in a bad area. Since then I have been to Northgate about 100 or so times. I pretty much would never ever consider that area to be even marginally unsafe. I would never in a million year characterize it as a bad area. I am still baffled by the comments. I guess people don't get out much.

Old 05-27-2014, 08:49 AM

338 posts, read 847,861 times
The reason I wouldn't consider Northgate a good area (at least around 99) is due to the signs that warn people they are on camera due to the cops busting drug and prostitution rings. Between that, the bars around windows of businesses, and the increased graffiti, I wouldn't consider it all that safe. Certainly wouldn't go out at night alone.

Heck, just a few months back some dude got shot & killed near the mall while running in the evening.

Just my two cents on why some people see it as unsafe.

Old 05-27-2014, 09:45 AM

3,695 posts, read 11,372,565 times
99 isn't the Northgate area. The area a few blocks east and west of 99 from about 85th to the city line isn't that great of an area, but the crimes there tend to be vice-related or property crimes. It isn't a violent area at all compared to Rainier Valley, which isn't violent compared to Chicago or Baltimore.

Around the mall? You're fine.

Old 05-27-2014, 12:13 PM

338 posts, read 847,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sean98125 View Post
99 isn't the Northgate area.
99 is the west border of the Northgate area.

And no, it isn't like Chicago, but that doesn't make is safe either. Again, as a female, I wouldn't go anywhere in Northgate alone at night.

Old 05-27-2014, 05:10 PM

5,075 posts, read 11,075,581 times
Northgate has changed quite a bit with all of the new apartments that went in. The area is far more pedestrian friendly than it used to be and the ratio of sketchy to non-sketchy characters on the street has improved visibly. It used to be mostly cheap very old apartments with lower income residents were the norm, and assorted weirdos on a variety of drugs would congregate around some of the convenience stores and gas stations. I was never too concerned walking around there at night 10 years ago, but there weren't a whole lot of single females out walking alone then. Now, especially around the mall you see a lot of that.

Some parts of the neighborhood are still not "nice" but those areas are less now, and the nice ones are growing. Up by Aurora though, the area around Oaktree Plaza still has some noticeable issues.

Old 05-27-2014, 08:22 PM

52 posts, read 91,173 times
Thanks for the barbershop recommendation, as well as the input about the Northgate Mall. I'd probably be particularly interested in the Target/Best Buy that're nearby (and only going up there during the daytime)... the alternative Target being (AFAIK) the one downtown.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area