Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-29-2014, 12:39 PM

335 posts, read 406,509 times

Advertisements

Is Seattle good city to live in please?

I am wondering, is it nice to live there in suburbs too or only the city? You hear so much about the 'coolness' of the city of Seattle. Is it nice place in suburb to live (even if you don't have family).

Also, is the economy good in Seattle now? Thanks in advance
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2014, 02:19 PM

2,811 posts, read 5,623,002 times
Yes, the suburbs around Seattle are great for the most part. I am still fairly new to the area (I have lived here 4 and a half years) and really am impressed with how nice most of the suburban areas are. Nice housing developments, lots of trees, low crime in most areas with a few exceptions, etc. The list of suburbs that my wife and I just love is so long- Edmonds, Mill Creek, Bothell, Woodinville, Redmond, Issaquah (our absolute favorite, we'd live there if we could possibly afford it lol), Kirkland, just to name a few. Seattle is definitely a cool, nice city- and that really pertains to the entire metro area in my mind- not just the urban core.

And yes, the economy in the Seattle metro area is quite good at this time- strong job growth, low unemployment at 5%, lots of construction going on- both business and residential.

Old 05-29-2014, 02:56 PM

6,033 posts, read 6,141,242 times
Cool in what respect?

Suburbs, if we want to call Bellevue (more a "satellite city" than suburb) and the rest of eastside that, can be a great place to live IF many things gel for you: income, schools, commute, more. Discussed elsewhere in C-D Seattle at great length.

The economy of what, exactly? What do you do, where are you targeting your career search? US BLS has occupational trend data for pretty much every major metro area the U.S., hundreds of career paths.

"They" say...they being mostly C-D...that it's great if you're a tech worker in Seattle metro. Guess I'm a bit sheltered, I don't know how the other major industries are doing other than Boeing keeps building large aircraft and Microsoft, Google, and Amazon are on a hiring spree. As are all the peripheral businesses that support them.

Microsoft, e.g., has 40K or so direct employee in Seattle metro, so wild guess: that impacts 100K people, including the families, plus another 300K people in peripheral, support businesses. Real estate, retail, service sector, much more. People are hired at good money, and demand services, which trickles down. Classic virtuous economic cycle.

(Seattle Times, May 22, 2014):

"What’s the reason for Seattle’s population boom? The Census Bureau offers no interpretation of its data, but surely the city’s healthy economy is responsible for attracting many new residents. According to Seattle’s Office of Economic Development, the city added nearly 15,000 new jobs between 2012 and 2013."

Old 05-30-2014, 12:40 AM

8,736 posts, read 8,663,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ropper111 View Post
Is Seattle good city to live in please?

I am wondering, is it nice to live there in suburbs too or only the city? You hear so much about the 'coolness' of the city of Seattle. Is it nice place in suburb to live (even if you don't have family).

Also, is the economy good in Seattle now? Thanks in advance
Are you good with high technology? If the answer is yes then you might think it's a pretty good economy here. Yes the city is "cool" but that is subjective. What is your definition of cool??? Everybody has a different answer...

Old 05-30-2014, 06:29 AM

40 posts, read 92,805 times
Yes it's a good city. Good weather, good food, and some of the best most courteous drivers in the U.S. It can be a little racist sometimes, but if you're not a person of color you don't have to worry about that.

Old 06-29-2014, 03:00 PM

84 posts, read 245,646 times
There's a reason it's so expensive to live here. Kiplinger - Interstitial <--- top cities to live in. That's like asking if NYC, LA or SF are good cities. Yes. The answer is yes.

Old 06-29-2014, 05:30 PM

854 posts, read 1,140,296 times
Lukewarm

Old 06-29-2014, 09:17 PM

305 posts, read 449,859 times
No. Half the people that move there hate it.

Old 06-30-2014, 12:38 AM

2,985 posts, read 4,882,037 times
Seattle's great as long as you can afford the better parts.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area