Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-01-2014, 08:55 AM

320 posts, read 513,631 times

Advertisements

My wife and I are moving to Seattle in mid-July, depending on when we close on our current house and a few other things. We're flying out to apartment hunt on July 5th-8th, and would want to sign a lease for an apt while we are there, to move in a few weeks later.

My question is: how tight is the rental market currently? Are there enough apt vacancies that we'll have choices or will we need to try to lock something down now to move there in 6 weeks?

We're planning to buy once we decide what part(s) of the city we like within 6 months or so, and we don't currently have jobs there (she'll keep her job and work from home) so location isn't *as* important as availability. That said, neighborhood recommendations to look in will be happily accepted. We're 30ish, I work in tech, she in design. With my initial googling it seems like the University district (or its outskirts) might be a good fit. But any other recommendations would be great too. Our price range would be between $1000 & $1500 a month, with a cat.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2014, 08:21 PM

50 posts, read 97,635 times
Everything is competitive in Seattle regarding real estate, whether you're buying or renting. Seattle is the fastest growing city in the U.S. You can find a decent one bedroom for $1500 in the city limits, but it likely won't have much in the way of amenities.

I love West Seattle, which is, generally, more affordable than many other areas (key words to look for in the West Seattle area are Alki, Admiral District, Alaska Junction). I also like Ballard, Fremont, Wallingford, and Queen Anne - each has it's own vibe, it's own shopping area. Lots to love about all of them.

I don't know how a 30ish year old couple would like the U-District. It's crowded and noisy. Parking can be a challenge (well, it can be a challenge anywhere in the city), so don't forget to take that into consideration.

Be ready to act quickly. An apartment you see may not be available the next day.

Old 06-02-2014, 01:20 PM

33 posts, read 28,538 times
I agree that a 30 year old couple will not really enjoy the U-District. Parking isn't terrible here at all, especially when you compare to Ballard or Capital Hill where it is non-existent at times. However it is noisy. I would suggest Ravenna/Roosevelt or U-village area before really getting into Sand Point if you want to be still centrally located or Wallingford. The biggest benefit of the U-District is its centrally located to everything if you never go south of Downtown. Biggest con is its noisy at night and nice apartments with amenities can go $1650-1800. You will definitely can definitely find a clean, no amenity, cat accepting 1 bedroom for around $1100-1300 here. I would check out Fremont for similar pricing without the noise (if you live more than 3 blocks away from 34th where all the bars are). Ballard can be too far west and if you end up working on the eastside it can be 15-20 minutes in traffic to the freeway only to spend another 20-30 depending 9 on the 520.

I think the biggest issue is going to be finding an apartment there, might be slim pickings. Many places in the U-District/Ravenna and Fremont/Wallingford area are pre-leasing for fall UW and grad students already. Those students, especially exchange students, are more than willing to split a $1500 1 bedroom rent between 2-3 people. Keep a vigilant eye on craigslist and rent a car. Often, especially in these areas many don't bother with craigslist until they have to and just put up signs outside. Alot of houses are actually divided into duplexes so residential neighborhood streets aren't off limits either.

Old 06-02-2014, 03:48 PM

11 posts, read 16,869 times
I am in the similar situation. In 30s. Moving with a job. Wife doesn't work. I am my wife are moving to Seattle in July. We only have two priorities - Absolutely Safe area and then in-unit laundry.
Everything else can be compromised. Our budget is 2000 for an apartment. We can go unto 2500 but would not like to.
And then once we are settled and understand the neighborhoods, we would like to buy a home in suburb in the range of 600-700k.
Any suggestions?

Old 06-02-2014, 04:57 PM

33 posts, read 28,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tarunshri View Post
I am in the similar situation. In 30s. Moving with a job. Wife doesn't work. I am my wife are moving to Seattle in July. We only have two priorities - Absolutely Safe area and then in-unit laundry.
Everything else can be compromised. Our budget is 2000 for an apartment. We can go unto 2500 but would not like to.
And then once we are settled and understand the neighborhoods, we would like to buy a home in suburb in the range of 600-700k.
Any suggestions?
You could definitely find something nice for 2000, decent sized, with amenities and in a new building, especially if all you wanted was in-unit laundry. Only issue I find is with your "absolutely safe" clause. There is no where in the city that is "absolutely safe." Now as a 25 year old female without a car, I enjoy nightlife and go to and from in the city alone at night by myself without any troubles. Biggest crimes in Seattle I say are burglaries and car theft/breaking into. You don't hear of any muggings, murder or violence outside of certain downtown areas and south and further north Seattle suburbs. Actually outside of the city limits I would find to be more dangerous than the actual city in a lot of circumstances do due drugs, and gangs.

Although the residential neighborhoods of Windemere, Laurelhurst (closer towards the Windemere side), Clyde Hill, Medina, Overlake and Mercer Island are the closest and the only crime there is the occasional speeding ticket but they are also the most expensive with properties easily going in the millions and beyond. The next area I know of with comparable safety is parts of Magnolia further west and Richmond Beach which is further northwest. Those areas are hassles if you work in the city as they are far from the freeway and I wouldn't even consider Magnolia an option if you worked on the eastside. Madison Park could also be an option but the nicest/safest areas of it are also super expensive and out of your house range.

Old 06-02-2014, 09:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaliaCK View Post
You could definitely find something nice for 2000, decent sized, with amenities and in a new building, especially if all you wanted was in-unit laundry. Only issue I find is with your "absolutely safe" clause. There is no where in the city that is "absolutely safe."
Thanks for the inputs. Definitely helps. So we don't go out to clubs or party. We do need one bedroom and one bath at least and in unit laundry. 2500 is doable. I can go upto 3000 but really only if have to.
I would be working in downtown Seattle.
Would eventually like to move to a suburb.
We don't drink, don't party, don't go out at nights. Only time we are out at nights are when we are going to or returning from airport.
Seems there are not many options around. I can see some apartments available online but then unless I don't hear from real people, its all just noise.
The way I try to find out if the place if worth living is drive around a few times. Weekends morning, afternoon and evening. Weekdays evenings. Check if there are too many vans, trucks, old beat up cars, trash by side, broken dirty pavements, skate boarders, tattoos
I mean I may be stereo typing but then this is how I differentiate between a neighborhood and a hood.
Will that help in Seattle or is this place different?

Old 06-02-2014, 09:55 PM

1,748 posts, read 5,527,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tarunshri View Post
Thanks for the inputs. Definitely helps. So we don't go out to clubs or party. We do need one bedroom and one bath at least and in unit laundry. 2500 is doable. I can go upto 3000 but really only if have to.
I would be working in downtown Seattle.
Would eventually like to move to a suburb.
We don't drink, don't party, don't go out at nights. Only time we are out at nights are when we are going to or returning from airport.
Seems there are not many options around. I can see some apartments available online but then unless I don't hear from real people, its all just noise.
The way I try to find out if the place if worth living is drive around a few times. Weekends morning, afternoon and evening. Weekdays evenings. Check if there are too many vans, trucks, old beat up cars, trash by side, broken dirty pavements, skate boarders, tattoos
I mean I may be stereo typing but then this is how I differentiate between a neighborhood and a hood.
Will that help in Seattle or is this place different?
I think you would like Upper Queen Anne, especially the Northern part. Also check out Magnolia.

Old 06-03-2014, 12:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaday View Post
I think you would like Upper Queen Anne, especially the Northern part. Also check out Magnolia.
Thanks a lot. I was researching about Bainbridge Island. Very low crime. But I may have to commute using ferry. Not an issue. I can take a ferry to Seattle and then take a cab to my office.
Does that sound reasonable? I am interested in Bainbridge since it seems like a very low crime area.

Old 06-03-2014, 12:22 PM

338 posts, read 848,091 times
Trash, beat up cars, etc. are definitely an indication of a neighborhood that isn't kept up, but not necessarily an indication of crime---just an FYI.
And if you don't like tattoos, you might try Eastside. Seattle has lots of people with ink, funny colored hair, etc. None of which is an indication of anything other than people being people.

Old 06-03-2014, 12:52 PM

In my experience if the neighborhood is low income, it has less money for public service, less police, less for schooling, lower level of education and hence a bad neighborhood. I am saying my experience. Does not mean everyone with a tattoo or a skateboard or living in a run down area is a criminal. What I mean to say is that such neighborhoods attract criminals due to less policing due to lower tax collection. I am not prejudiced against people but against an area. I am sorry if I came as rude. I was just trying to indicate that lower housing values, lower taxes result in lower policing and hence the hoods attract criminals. Does not mean people living in those areas are criminals. Just that the chances of being a victim is much higher, exposure to criminals is higher.
I see that Bellevue is a much reasonable and I have to figure out the areas in there. This is definitely helpful.
Thanks for helping and apologize if I didn't chose the right words and didn't phrase my thoughts appropriately.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area