Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-05-2014, 01:49 AM

317 posts, read 840,503 times

Advertisements

So suppose I work in Mountlake Terrace and will be looking for an apartment, what options do I have? I want something that is drivable to work, and not too far from seattle, because my other half is a designer, and in case he gets a job in downtown seattle area, I want a locale that is easy for both of us (so something between Mountlake Terrace and Seattle, or in Seattle.).

My requirements:
Prefer $1000 month or less. Maybe $1100, but not more. 1200 is really pushing it, but will it make a huge difference?

For me, I don't mind a 30 to 40 minute commute (of course, closer is better)

"Safe" area. Hard to describe, but somewhere clean, well lit, little crime/violent history, and does not have a lot of homeless residents hanging around. Imagine a place that a solo 20 year old female can feel comfortable with.

1 bedroom will be nice, but even a studio is perfectly fine. I currently live in a 400sqft 1 bedroom and I am okay with that. I really don't need a lot of space but I do want something that is 'nice.'. I know that is subjective, but something that is not too old, is not run down, well maintained,

Ideally, what I want, but not required
convenience. we are homebodies, so we don't need bars or stadiums near by, but a few options within walking distance will be nice. coffee shops, restaurants, etc.

modern/urban floor plan, new appliances, downtown style living will be a bonus if that is within budget

realistically, what's possible?

Last edited by semidevil; 06-05-2014 at 02:28 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2014, 02:16 AM

1,359 posts, read 2,481,112 times
Cheaper housing exists, but in general, you pretty much have to be driving around in the neighborhoods where you want to live and looking for it. As Seattle gets more expensive, affordable housing is becoming harder and harder to find.

Some light reading: Game Of Homes | KUOW News and Information

In short, be ready to do the legwork if you are looking around. Be ready to move fast on an inexpensive place. Don't assume that the internet is the best place to look for cheap housing; most landlords of inexpensive units don't advertise because they don't have to.

Good luck!

Old 06-05-2014, 10:15 AM

9,618 posts, read 27,339,773 times
Mountlake Terrace itself has amongst the least expensive housing costs north of Seattle and south of Everett. It's safe, but maybe you'd find it a little boring.

Old 06-06-2014, 02:22 AM

317 posts, read 840,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ira500 View Post
Mountlake Terrace itself has amongst the least expensive housing costs north of Seattle and south of Everett. It's safe, but maybe you'd find it a little boring.
thanks! I"m used to boring as thats where I live...so i'm really trying to 'upgrade' to non-boring if possible. I'd rather trade a larger space for a more urban style living.

Old 06-06-2014, 03:22 PM

21,873 posts, read 25,139,139 times
I'd look around Ballard and U District/Ravena if you want more urban. You'll get more apartment for the money around (eg, modern appliances become possible). There's also either Lower Queen Anne or Capitol Hill. That's going to be older buildings in that price range though.

Old 06-06-2014, 04:18 PM

1,314 posts, read 2,054,460 times
I'd definitely look in Ravenna and Roosevelt.

Old 06-08-2014, 02:22 PM

710 posts, read 1,397,617 times
Basically, you can find rent under $1000 in Seattle for a studio or small one-bedroom, but it will be in an older building and not necessarily a dumpy one. I actually prefer that though. My building was built in 1986 (so not super old and well-maintained) and I'm in Upper Queen Anne right on top of the hill a couple of blocks from Kerry Park. My rent is $875 (after my first increase in rent ($30) since I moved in 2 years ago) and includes w/s/g and parking. So deals are to be had, you just have to search around for them! Good luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area