Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-16-2014, 09:04 PM

11 posts, read 13,549 times

Advertisements

Hi there , we be moving to Seattle with my 2 kids. My kids are coming 2 and 4 respectively.

We did some research and found that Capitol Hill can be smother option for us.

From your experience, do you think Capitol Hill is a good area for family with young kids ?

Appreciate your comments!
Cindy
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2014, 09:13 PM

1,651 posts, read 2,766,471 times
What part of Capitol Hill? There is the very northern part (I'd say north of Aloha, btwn I-5 and 23rd), the 'western' part - north of Olive, south of Aloha, west of I-5 and east of Broadway, the NE part - centered around 15th, south of Aloha, north of John/Thomas, and the Pike/Pine portion - which is centered around Pike/Pine from 23rd to Broadway, north of Madison.

The further north and east you get - the more residential it is. I live in the western part, and quite frankly I really wouldn't have kids here. There just isn't that much for them. Same with the Pike/Pine portion - too much nightlife, not kid-friendly. The northmost portion (with all the mansions) seems to have plenty of families, and the area east and north of 15th & Thomas as well.

Overall - you can make it work for kids here, but this isn't a 'family' area. Quite frankly if I had kids I'd move to Kirkland.

Old 06-16-2014, 09:19 PM

555 posts, read 799,678 times
Cindy:

No---I would never raise kids in that area. I would best describe that area as 'anti-family'.

Kayela was right on suggesting Kirkland---East King County generally has more family-friendly areas. Issaquah's even better than Kirkland for families.

A survey in the Seattle Metropolitan magazine showed that demographically there is nowhere in the Seattle City Limits where children are over 10% of the population. In Metro King County, however, most areas the number was in the 20-30 percentile. The schools there are way better too.

Old 06-16-2014, 10:41 PM

9,618 posts, read 27,240,877 times
As Kayela said, there are a lot of different parts of Capitol Hill, and they vary a lot. North Capitol Hill is very nice, and there are plenty of families around. The area north and east of Volunteer Park is terrific. It's also expensive. The area east of Group Health is pretty nice, and around the north end of Broadway. But the Pike Pine corridor, or southwest Capitol Hill, or the western side of Broadway are at least too busy. I'm not sure I'd call them unsafe, but the other parts of the hill are safer and less stressful.

Old 06-16-2014, 10:45 PM

21,662 posts, read 24,789,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackhawk4440 View Post
Cindy:

No---I would never raise kids in that area. I would best describe that area as 'anti-family'.

Kayela was right on suggesting Kirkland---East King County generally has more family-friendly areas. Issaquah's even better than Kirkland for families.

A survey in the Seattle Metropolitan magazine showed that demographically there is nowhere in the Seattle City Limits where children are over 10% of the population. In Metro King County, however, most areas the number was in the 20-30 percentile. The schools there are way better too.
Which is why you don't seriously consider two-bit tabloids. More than 10% of Seattle's population is under 18, so obviously some place has to. It's lower than the Eastside burbs which are in the low 20% range. Good for pseudo reviews of faux speak-easies with weak overpriced cocktails, not so great at facts.

But, yeah, not the mots family friendly area of Seattle. I'd probably say Wallingford as being the best family-friendly neighborhood that's more urban.

http://blogs.seattletimes.com/fyi-gu...-neighborhood/
http://s3.documentcloud.org/document...ghborhoods.pdf

Old 06-16-2014, 11:17 PM

555 posts, read 799,678 times
Really? Where are the best kid-friendly stores in Wallingford? (i.e. where can you buy stuff for kids?)

Or the best kid-friendly restaurants?

Or the nearest playgrounds (that aren't also frequented by druggies, bums, and perverts)?

What are the best schools in Wallingford and how do they compare to Eastside schools?

How about the Wallingford Library? Is it still in the basement of Wallingford Square?

I'd think I'd write Wallingford off too...

Just go over to the Eastside and count the number of kids you see compared to Seattle. Nobody who cares about a family wants to raise kids here.

Old 06-17-2014, 03:21 AM

82 posts, read 142,675 times
Quote:
Really? Where are the best kid-friendly stores in Wallingford? (i.e. where can you buy stuff for kids?)

Or the nearest playgrounds (that aren't also frequented by druggies, bums, and perverts)?

What are the best schools in Wallingford and how do they compare to Eastside schools?

How about the Wallingford Library? Is it still in the basement of Wallingford Square?

Just go over to the Eastside and count the number of kids you see compared to Seattle. Nobody who cares about a family wants to raise kids here.
Hostile much?

There are a ton of young families in Wallingford, ours included. Just over on the west side we have Tutta Bella, Blue Star, Maggie Moon, Great family friendly Thai and Malaysian. A kids consignment store, the wallingford center has kid shops. The list goes on.

Wallingford park is full of kids of all ages. All of the Green lake playfields, etc..

Great schools too. John Stanford Intl., Mcdonald Intl., Hamilton, Lincoln high.

Know what you are talking about before you post.

Old 06-17-2014, 09:06 AM

1,748 posts, read 5,506,491 times
Quote:

Have you looked at the test scores for Hamilton International or John Stanford just to name a few of the great schools in Wallingford? Did you know Hamilton sent 2 orchestras and their symphonic band to Music in the Parks in Idaho and took home every single 1st place for every category they competed in? They totally swept the awards including best over all school...competing against even high schools? Garfield high school typically has the most National Merit Scholars of any high school in the area? Possibly even the state.

Wallingford is very family oriented with excellent schools.

Old 06-17-2014, 09:41 AM

1,511 posts, read 1,963,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayela View Post
What part of Capitol Hill? There is the very northern part (I'd say north of Aloha, btwn I-5 and 23rd), the 'western' part - north of Olive, south of Aloha, west of I-5 and east of Broadway, the NE part - centered around 15th, south of Aloha, north of John/Thomas, and the Pike/Pine portion - which is centered around Pike/Pine from 23rd to Broadway, north of Madison.

The further north and east you get - the more residential it is. I live in the western part, and quite frankly I really wouldn't have kids here. There just isn't that much for them. Same with the Pike/Pine portion - too much nightlife, not kid-friendly. The northmost portion (with all the mansions) seems to have plenty of families, and the area east and north of 15th & Thomas as well.
As long-time resident of Capitol Hill (full disclosure: no kids), I'll echo the above. I would say north of Thomas and east of 15th is where Capitol Hill gets very residential. I used to live around 19th and Aloha and there are quite a few kids and families around here. Very peaceful considering how close-in to the city it actually is. The only thing is that homes in this area are quite expensive. There are some very nice apartments in the area too, if you're interested in renting.

The rest of the hill could certainly work for people with kids- and I see them- but it's not what most people mean when they say "kid-friendly".

Old 06-17-2014, 02:27 PM

31 posts, read 69,137 times
I have friends that live around 19th and Aloha and I babysat their kids for a while... The neighborhood is beautiful, and they love their local elementary school (Stevens), and there was always something for us to do. It was a short trip to the Aquarium, the Science Center, Seattle Center, many parks, etc. We went on many walks -- there was always something to do! It's a really great area of Capitol Hill...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area