Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-06-2014, 01:53 PM

14 posts, read 13,290 times

Advertisements

Having stored up enough Vitamin D to last a lifetime and tired of treading this flat, monochromatic, blind-your-eyes sunny, sweltering, squat palm tree studded sprawl-a-thon that is Sarasota Florida, I'm trading in my beach towel for a rain jacket and heading for the Pacific Northwest.

However, we have a dilemma. We're having a hard time deciding between Seattle and Portland. A little about us so you can perhaps help us in this difficult decision. We're the typical two-kid family and primarily we are interested in proximity to outdoor activities like biking, hiking, skiing, kayaking, camping, etc. We also want to move to a place where we can use public transit in lieu of relying on the car as we do here in Florida. I work as a software developer and I'm free to work from home, so either city is viable for my current job. The schools are excellent in both places so that's not a deciding factor. I want a good tech scene as well (and both places seem to have that).

I visited Portland (4 days), Seattle (1 day) and Vancouver British Columbia (4 days) this spring and all places exceeded my expectations. I'm fine with the rainy weather and when I visited, I had 4 days of the typical gray weather so I'm not seeing things through "rose-colored glasses". When I visited Portland, I definitely enjoyed the sense of community (people were very friendly), Forest Park, the many hiking trails right in Portland's backyard (along the Columbia river), the coffee shops and the smell of pine. I did not spend enough time in Seattle to get a feel for it. It *felt* a bit safer walking around on the streets at night in Seattle, simply b/c there are more people on the streets so the safety in numbers thing (whereas in Portland there would be only 1 or 2 other people and they were bums). What I like about Seattle is the sheer number of interesting, challenging, high-paying jobs so that if I decide to leave my current job at some point in the future, there is a ridiculous number of options. Portland has a start-up scene but from the research I've done it's quite a bit smaller and the salaries are much lower than Seattle, more so than the reduced cost-of-living can possibly make up for. However, from Seattle do you have to drive an hour to get to decent hiking trails? In Portland, there are several waterfalls 30 minutes from the city (Mount Hood and excellent skiing is only 1.5 hours away).

How is the public transit in Seattle? How does it compare to Portland? Do they have good bike lanes in Seattle? My wife would really like to be able to do her day-to-day errands on foot or transit. Are parks, libraries, etc. accessible without a car? Is Portland sunnier than Seattle? I didn't see enough of Seattle to know, which is prettier? If I moved to Seattle, I would probably need to get a new job to afford the 20% higher cost of living, but that would be fine, since they have appealing options. Portland seemed to have a lot of families. Is that the same in Seattle? Which city is safer and better for kids to grow up in?

I know there are a ton of these threads. I've read them. But I'm still here on the fence, vacillating between options. Any help would be greatly appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2014, 03:25 PM

1,511 posts, read 1,965,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ForestDenizen View Post

How is the public transit in Seattle? How does it compare to Portland? Do they have good bike lanes in Seattle? My wife would really like to be able to do her day-to-day errands on foot or transit. Are parks, libraries, etc. accessible without a car? Is Portland sunnier than Seattle? I didn't see enough of Seattle to know, which is prettier? If I moved to Seattle, I would probably need to get a new job to afford the 20% higher cost of living, but that would be fine, since they have appealing options. Portland seemed to have a lot of families. Is that the same in Seattle? Which city is safer and better for kids to grow up in?
If I were starting over, I'd have a tough time deciding between Seattle and Portland. I like them both plenty.

Public transit in Seattle is great, except when it isn't. By that I mean, if you live an work along a major bus route or near the light rail, then it serves very well. Many other areas are poorly-served, though- not enough buses, not anywhere near the light rail, or transfers required for what should be an easy journey.

There a all kind of parks, libraries, and other activities near in the metro area easily accessible without a car, again provided your starting destination is relatively central.

I think they are both fine for kids. Seattle is bigger, and that comes with the standard advantages and disadvantages. Really, I think size is the most important difference... they kind of feel like extensions of the same place to me.

Old 06-06-2014, 03:50 PM

9,618 posts, read 27,256,097 times
Portland started their rail system earlier, so it's better than Seattle's. But Seattle has a pretty extensive bus system, and there's numerous neighborhoods where a car isn't really essential. Seattle has a lot of families as does Portland. Portland might be a tiny bit sunnier. Seattle is prettier. Portland, as pretty as it is, doesn't have Puget Sound. There's actually decent hiking within the city of Seattle, but there's some pretty spectacular hiking spots 30-45 minutes away.
The tech scene is bigger in Seattle. Portland is a slight bit funkier( I mean that in a good way.) Portland gets hotter than Seattle in the summer.

Old 06-06-2014, 03:58 PM

21,989 posts, read 15,630,023 times
If you're equally impressed by Portland and Seattle, you may as well choose Portland since it's a little less expensive. We looked at Portland first (many years ago), didn't like it that much but loved Seattle instantly. Others may feel the opposite but fortunately we have both to choose from.

Old 06-06-2014, 04:16 PM

455 posts, read 385,904 times
Portland is my vote having lived there 30 years and spending college years and beyond in Seattle. You've got everything you want in both places and the weather is virtually the same. My take is that PDX is slightly less expensive, better transit, neighborhood designs are more walkable and bike friendly. Sellwood is a perfect example, you can walk to the park, movie theater, bar, coffee shop, restaurants (kid and adult friendly), take the bus, Ace hardware, grocery, library all right there oh yeah and the skating rink and river (with bike paths all the way to downtown) right there and only say 10 minutes to downtown for a night out and a cheap taxi or bus ride home. You still get space between neighbors and can have a lawn too. There are so many neighborhoods like this in PDX even in the newer communities farther out. Seattle has a lot of fun close in neighborhoods but they didn't seem to have the walkability factor unless you were really close in to the city. If it wasn't for the constant gray gloom I'd move back in a heartbeat. Good luck!

Old 06-17-2014, 09:35 PM

45 posts, read 66,150 times
Seattle is a bit bigger, and more expensive. More direct flights to other cities, and more happening on the economic front (Microsoft, Amazon, Starbucks, etc)-- it tries hard to be a "big city" with a symphony, etc. Portland is smaller (in a good way) and has a funky feel, and still has a couple of big companies (Nike, Intel). The weather in Portland slightly nicer in the summer, but can be worse in the winter -- because Seattle gets more of the maritime influence which keeps it slightly more temperate -- Portland can get ice storms... not sure I've ever seen an ice storm in Seattle.

I'd say stay in both for a couple of weeks -- maybe do an AirBnB? ...and see which you like.

Old 06-18-2014, 01:21 AM

2,985 posts, read 4,862,673 times
Seattle is the bigger city. Portland felt sleepy to me. It's quaint, but it's more like a medium sized city than anything. There's also swarms of homeless people; more than Seattle. If that doesn't bother you, then Portland may be better if you are looking for cheaper living. Wages are much lower, though, and the economy is quite smaller than Seattle's.

Old 06-18-2014, 02:34 AM

3,533 posts, read 5,800,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seacove View Post
If you're equally impressed by Portland and Seattle, you may as well choose Portland since it's a little less expensive. We looked at Portland first (many years ago), didn't like it that much but loved Seattle instantly. Others may feel the opposite but fortunately we have both to choose from.
Not true anymore, especially with a very high state income tax put into the equation.

Old 06-18-2014, 03:09 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,621 posts, read 57,620,656 times
During income years, remain in WA

You can move to Oregon later.
Since I like recreation, if you have to be immersed in Tech. I would choose west Camas / east Vancouver, near Fisher transit terminal. The CHEAP Skamania transit bus to Stevenson and the Gorge is a BARGAIN!

If you can commute to tech... Ft Vancouver Historic site for a fun rental in Officer's house.

BTW, If you do much flying, you will LUV PDX. IN and out very fast and close to Vancouver (under 15 minutes)

Last edited by StealthRabbit; 06-18-2014 at 03:42 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area