U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-26-2011, 08:16 AM

29,097 posts, read 23,485,394 times

Advertisements

@wyattf - Tacoma is city with with high depression rate? - Pierce County is considered the least churched(area with churches in the USA) - could a dearth of churches and people of faith be the cause of depression in the Tacoma area - you decide for yourself - i believe so.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 09-26-2011, 09:09 AM

1,082 posts, read 2,112,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harrier View Post
@wyattf - Tacoma is city with with high depression rate? - Pierce County is considered the least churched(area with churches in the USA) - could a dearth of churches and people of faith be the cause of depression in the Tacoma area - you decide for yourself - i believe so.
Yeah, lets make up our own facts and draw random conclusions from then.

Old 09-29-2011, 04:34 PM

21 posts, read 44,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeattlesGreat! View Post
You people have no ****ing idea what you're talking about Seattle is THE city for suicide the weather IS a factor and the people are the biggest ****ing *******s I've ever met. The woman are snobs, the men are obsessed with their bodies and the local law enforcment are intimidating and unapproachable.
I've lived here in ****teattle for 10 goddamn years I ****ing hate this city, I hate the people I hate the entire ****ing state. The only good thing about Seattle is the wine. Other then that it's a ****ing ****hole.
**** all of you.
Geez, what an upbeat kind of guy huh?

You must be one of those "glass is half empty" type of people. Now go open another bottle and fill your glass.

Old 09-30-2011, 12:11 AM

465 posts, read 1,348,353 times
Good god, will this myth ever die??

I just listened to a terrific podcast by the Freakanomics guys called "The Suicide Paradox". I HIGHLY recommend listening to it. I learned some pretty amazing things - there are FAR more suicides per year in the US than there are murders but they simply aren't covered in the media.

There is a 'suicide belt' running roughly from Idaho through New Mexico where suicide rates are highest. The typical profile is very rural, gun-owning, and old.

Seattle isn't mentioned a single time, though all of the cities in the desert southwest are.

The Seattle suicide myth has been going for years, perpetuated by those trying to put some wood behind the arrow when they try to explain why they hate the weather and trying to convince you that you will to. It's simply not true.

Go to a relentlessly sunny place with horrific economies and you'll find your suicide capitals. At least in the US.

Old 11-08-2011, 03:18 AM

1 posts, read 3,230 times
My girlfriend and I live in Seattle, and both of us have attempted suicide. Some of my friends have tried, and some have succeeded. I don't know if it's a Seattle thing. Most of the people who live here are tech jack-offs who have no souls.

Old 11-08-2011, 07:39 AM

1,729 posts, read 4,213,799 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harrier View Post
could a dearth of churches and people of faith be the cause of depression in the Tacoma area - you decide for yourself - i believe so.
Yes that has to be it. Please hurry to Tacoma and save all those lost souls.

sigh... It never ceases to amaze me how many folks believe in fairy tales.

Old 11-08-2011, 07:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by soulman99799 View Post
My girlfriend and I live in Seattle, and both of us have attempted suicide. Some of my friends have tried, and some have succeeded. I don't know if it's a Seattle thing. Most of the people who live here are tech jack-offs who have no souls.
Of course it couldn't be you or your circle of friends. It has to be everyone else.

Get help. Seriously.

Old 11-08-2011, 07:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarawayDJ View Post
I see you're still alive...
That is up for debate.

Old 11-08-2011, 08:28 AM

710 posts, read 1,286,391 times
I'm sorry, but there has to be something else going on. I just can't believe someone would kill themselves solely over the freaking weather!! If they say that's the reason, then they must be incredibly weak minded and probably are pre-determined to that type of behaviour no matter the reason. I mean, seriously?! You can always escape the weather by going elsewhere. I just don't believe the weather is the sole reason. Ok if you are poor and can't afford to go anywhere, then yeah you might get depressed. But killing yourself over that would be financially related, not weather related.

Old 11-08-2011, 09:05 AM

1,600 posts, read 2,867,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by allforcats View Post
I've lived 22 adult years here, and have never heard of any rash or continuance of suicides in the PNW. Ditto depression. In fact, proving that "weather" is not the point, several sources say Nevada is the state with the highest rate. The CDC says: 10 of the 13 western states are in the highest 25% of the suicides in the nation and Nevada, specifically Las Vegas, has the highest rate in the nation. Here's the CDC's link:
Regional Variations in Suicide Rates -- United States, 1990-1994

Observing folks here over more than two decades, I'd say depression and suicide are individual and not climatic. Isn't it interesting how so many people on the Washington forum say they love it here?
I can understand why Las Vegas has a high suicide rate by just being there. People go there to gamble. They are delusional, thinking they can make it big-time by taking their chances with all the crap games. Then they find that they have spent all their savings at the tables. With utter depression they feel that their only escape is suicide.
Seattle and the NW in general also has a high suicide rate. After all these years of jumping off the Aurora bridge, -which was the suicide bridge of choice, the city finally put up a high fence to discourage the jumpers. Ah, yes, there now is a cage around the observation deck of the Smith Tower.
The weather here does cause depression, -depression is the main cause of suicide. Many people come here with almost the same reason they go to Las Vegas, -they think they can make a go of it or make a fortune here, -only to be greatly disppointed. Seattle and the Pacific NW is the end of the road, they can't move much further West to find their fortune. This is the end of the road. The old popular addage, 'Go West Young Man', no longer applies.:c rying::cry ing:
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area