U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-09-2011, 09:23 PM

29,097 posts, read 23,604,676 times

Advertisements

@eskercurve - this may surprise you but I very well versed in physics, am only not an electrical engineer becsause I have not yet attained the neccesary level of education, and have no problem whatsoever with Gallilean or Einstein relativity. Nor do I have an issue with debunking evolution or reconciling science with religion. The Lord created physical, biological, and chemical laws. There is no reason that religion and science have to be mutually exclusive. I know many think otherwise, and this is this the beauty of scientific inquiry, that many individuals, seeking the same truth can come to different conclusions that don't muddle what is true, but rather emphasize the actual goings on. Even those who deny a Supreme Being can look at the same data as one who believes in a SB and come to a different conclusion. But the Lord our God never expected us to be perfect in our accessments and fully expected some of us to deviate from the truth - that the Lord created the universe and is much more conversant in it's workings then Einstein, Gallileo, Copernicus, all the quantum physicsts, or Hawking - who are all created beings.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-09-2011, 09:46 PM

1,729 posts, read 4,232,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harrier View Post
I respect your opinion Bill and even though I don't agree with - I think we can get along and simply give opposing views. Quite frankly, the only fairy tale I have read since - say about age 6 - has been the theory of evolution.
You of course mean other than the unending hard scientific evidence that supports the theory? If you like, i'm only too happy to begin citing acclaimed journals? As opposed to your book, written with a clear agenda, teeming with outrageous stories?

Quote:
Anyone who chooses to believe in this fairy tale - it is their right. Just to get the topic back to the original track, perhaps suicides are up in all places due to the propagation of the evolution myth and the effect it has on people who see in it no true purpose for their own existance.
Perhaps instead of wild speculation (assuming because an area has fewer churches people are killing themselves is precisely that. You have ZERO evidence to that end Show me a credible independent study that supports that contention), You might actually rely on something other than empirical evidence. I suggest you look at the readily available facts. Facts like (Seasonal Affect Disorder) for example.

Quote:
I know we won't agree and that is fine - I've already been slammed for suggesting lack of faith as a reason for self destruction.
You got slammed because your suggestion is pulled out of thin air. Faith, whether you value it or not, is exactly that. Thin air. You have nothing to support your contentions other than your opinion. Where's the beef?

Old 11-09-2011, 09:50 PM

Quote:
@eskercurve - this may surprise you but I very well versed in physics,
And yet you argued with me without a shred of scientific fact to support your position?

You don't see the contradiction here? How do you reconcile that?

Old 11-09-2011, 10:02 PM

@eskercurve:
Quote:
One thing I do know IS correlated with lack of faith in a higher being is a higher education. And Seattle has a very high education rate.

I am "highly edeucated". I know you may cite my previous post that I Have not yet attained a Bachelor's degree. Isn't that something we learn in our elementary Critical Thinking class ; not to judge someone on your perceived ethos of the party, but on their actual facts(logos). Even if you disagree with me, are we not taught to analyze all views with a critical mind and not lock our selves into a loop that spells only one word - or demonstrates one schema?

Last edited by Harrier; 11-09-2011 at 10:11 PM..

Old 11-09-2011, 10:17 PM

@Bill Loney - PLEASE post links to your acclaimed journals, and rest assured I will look at your 'Seasonal Affect Disorder'. You suggest I look at "readily available facts" rather then empirical evidence to support a claim that areas of non-faith contribute to a high suicde rate. What, pray is the difference?

Old 11-09-2011, 10:26 PM

Also note that in an above post I stated that suicide is not neccesarily linked to lack of faith - in fact I am apalled that some would connect suicide to Seattle. I do think this trend might be linked to those who feel there life has no purpose - and this could be related to faith. If any who disagree - who have known those who have taken their lives - please post here - I will definitely think about what you write - I only know about my own experience - I can never enter my friends mind - I know he was upset - we won't know if he was unable to find a meaning for his life - I can tell you he impacted a lot of lives - including mine. RIP, my friend.

Old 11-09-2011, 11:08 PM

Quote:
@Bill Loney - PLEASE post links to your acclaimed journals,
Really?

National-Academies.org | Newsroom

How about UC Berkeley?

Fossil evidence

And then feel free to take these guys on...

Home - Department of Human Evolutionary Biology, Harvard University

Old 11-09-2011, 11:10 PM

Quote:
@eskercurve:

I am "highly edeucated". I know you may cite my previous post that I Have not yet attained a Bachelor's degree. Isn't that something we learn in our elementary Critical Thinking class ; not to judge someone on your perceived ethos of the party, but on their actual facts(logos).
And yet you asked whether or not the cause was related to a lack of churches without anything other than the observation of nothing more than a coincidence.

Imagine that?

Old 11-09-2011, 11:15 PM

Thank's for the links Bill. I will read them. Coincidence? I DON'T THINK SO!!!!!

Old 11-09-2011, 11:27 PM

lol - the first is a REVIEW of a book and the Stanford and Harvard links simply attempt to support evolutionary "proof" that several creationist and intelligent design sites have successfully debunked. I shall post links to them here in the next couple days.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area