Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-15-2013, 07:56 PM

2 posts, read 17,089 times

Advertisements

I just returned from my third trip out to Seattle this year. After the flat Georgia plains, its mountains and deep blue waters reinvigorated my soul. There is such a forward-thinking, entrepreneurial spirit there. It is smartly constructed, with more than a progressive feel. I halfheartedly joked that I felt like I was in "the city of the future!" The locals aren't boastful, and always seemed amused by my comments--"ten types of local oysters?"
, "eighty-four thrift shops?", "two daily happy hours?", "Rem Koolhaas Design!"... The list goes on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by menumber1 View Post
Seasonal Affective Disorder (S.A.D.) is a real condition and is treatable. Please educate yourself.

Seattle would rate higher on the National Suicide Index if the unemployment rate, in addition to numerous other social factors, were at play.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2013, 04:49 PM

172 posts, read 442,065 times
I have lived in Seattle area all my life for about 27 years and I have only known of one person commiting suicide. NPR radio said about two weeks ago that Wyoming has the highest suicide rate in the country, they were doing a big show on suicide and Seattle was not brought up once.

Old 04-18-2013, 06:58 PM

1,070 posts, read 2,029,646 times
Yes, I agree with Twitch2. I think it comes from the American Journal of Public Health study from last year where Wyoming was the state with the highest suicide rate ...not the actual number but the rate per 100,000 of population.

It was Wyoming, followed by Alaska, Montana, Nevada, New Mexico, Idaho, Oregon, Colorado, South Dakota, Utah, Arizona, Vermont, Oklahoma, North Dakota, and Arkansas. Washington did not make the top 15 states for the highest rate of suicide but was not one of the lowest either. Here's a U.S. map that gives a rough idea =click.

Even by city, Seattle isn't amongst the top ten. Portland, however, frequently is mentioned as one of the top cities for a high suicide rate. These are the top ten U.S. Cities for the highest rates of suicide from a recent study by the National Association of County and City Health Officials: Las Vegas, followed by Colorado Springs, Tucson, Sacramento, Albuquerque, Mesa, Miami, Denver, Portland, and Jacksonville.

I think I remember their noting Seattle as actually quite low on this study. And as can be observed, it obviously doesn't have to do with gray skies or rainy weather as Las Vegas is consistently number one on lists like these and Arizona cities also rank high. Portland has similar wet weather and lack of sunshine but rates quite a bit higher than Seattle for the rate of suicide.

Old 04-20-2013, 04:01 PM

1,638 posts, read 3,831,912 times
I don't know, but my daughter goes to Woodinville High School, and there have been 2 suicides so far this year (and the student population is not that large....maybe around 900 kids?). Both fatally shot themselves out in wooded areas (one girl and one boy, about 7 months apart). I am sure suicide happens, but I do think it's odd for 2 teens to shoot themselves in the head in the same school year, from the same town within a few months.

Old 04-20-2013, 08:22 PM

13,827 posts, read 29,939,634 times
Anyone wonder why many of those cities/states are in the West?

Old 04-21-2013, 01:25 PM

85 posts, read 216,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by poopskooper View Post
Even by city, Seattle isn't amongst the top ten. Portland, however, frequently is mentioned as one of the top cities for a high suicide rate.
Are Oregon assisted suicides included in that calculation, I wonder?

Old 04-21-2013, 02:11 PM

1,981 posts, read 3,151,511 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Aguilar View Post
yes!
I wonder.... IMO A distinct way of "thinking" lies west of the 100th meridian... But never before associated it with suicide rates... My thinking is it is DNA/genetics at work to some degree.

This is interesting, suicide rates by nation:
List of countries by suicide rate - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

High latitudes? Cultural inputs?

Old 04-21-2013, 08:11 PM

13,827 posts, read 29,939,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrueTimbers View Post
yes!
I wonder.... IMO A distinct way of "thinking" lies west of the 100th meridian... But never before associated it with suicide rates... My thinking is it is DNA/genetics at work to some degree.

This is interesting, suicide rates by nation:
List of countries by suicide rate - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

High latitudes? Cultural inputs?
Looks like the tropics or Muslim countries are the place to be.

In the states, perhaps humidity is the solution.

Old 04-21-2013, 08:40 PM

1,070 posts, read 2,029,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dadr View Post
Are Oregon assisted suicides included in that calculation, I wonder?
That is a good question. From my understanding, they are not.

It has been suggested that legalizing assisted suicide increases the general suicide rate because the taboo concerning suicide is eliminated when assisted suicide is legal. So legalizing assisted suicide tends to send the message that there is nothing wrong with suicide.

However, it still does not really explain why Oregon's suicide rate is so much higher than Washington's, the only other state to have an assisted suicide law. Oregon is usually the state with the highest suicide rate in the nation with at least a 30% greater rate than any other state.

Old 04-23-2013, 12:33 PM

1,111 posts, read 2,332,480 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Aguilar View Post
My guess is that the West is a transient destination for transplants looking to "start a new life." Often times, these are f***-ups (for lack of a better word) or people with all sorts of baggage. They go out West, realize it's a failure for them, and end it. That, plus males are more likely to commit suicide and the West has more males in relation to the East Coast and it's female-dominated ratios.

Last edited by Count David; 04-23-2013 at 01:12 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area