Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-09-2014, 12:34 AM

9,618 posts, read 27,339,773 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RotseCherut View Post
Seattle has a lot of theft but not robbery. Seattle's violent crime rate is lower than most cities in the USA and even Canada.. Anyone who thinks Seattle is more dangerous than any Californian city has never left the tourist circuit of those Californian cities. Take a trip to South Haight area of San Francisco or almost any southern or eastern suburb of Los Angeles County (outside the San Fernando Valley) and you have neighborhoods that are way nastier than even the worst part of Rainier Beach. As a matter of fact, Rainier Beach is starting to look kinda hip and upbeat. That Columbia City strip is pretty cool. I was even looking at apartments in Rainier Beach and shocked to see that they are now freakin expensive. Now, the Seattle hood is the new and cool palce to live.. At $1000-1100 for a 1 bedroom, most people think that it is a good deal considering apartments in Fremont are going for like $1500 for the same size place.

East/SE Tacoma and Kent/Auburn are probably the only real scummy areas left in the Seattle metro. Federal Way is gritty (not scummy), but only in the apartment tracts, the rest of the city is just a mix of blue and white collar suburbia.

In 10 years, Seattle will be a completely yuppified/gentrified/rich man's city and Tacoma/Federal Way/Kent will be were the ghetto people make their final migration. These are also some of the few affordable areas left in the metro area.
Rainier Beach is starting to look hip and upbeat? Where?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2014, 02:27 AM

3,533 posts, read 5,830,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ira500 View Post
Rainier Beach is starting to look hip and upbeat? Where?
All over.. I was just at the farmer's market in COlumbia City. Columbia City is not too bad of a place. There are new condos sprouting up all over the place. The place hardly seems ghetto to me at all. Really, it seems like an alright neighborhood.. It is no where as bad SE Portland was in the 90s. Are you saying Columbia City is not in Rainier Beach? The neighborhood is growing right into Rainier Beach and more and more lower income Seattle peopel are flocking to Rainier Beach as the rest of Seattle's once affordable neighborhoods are becoming gentrified and being priced out to oblivion. Beacon Hill also seemed quite desirable to me.

Old 07-09-2014, 02:43 AM

7,743 posts, read 15,870,170 times
Quote:
All over.. I was just at the farmer's market in COlumbia City. Columbia City is not too bad of a place. There are new condos sprouting up all over the place. The place hardly seems ghetto to me at all. Really, it seems like an alright neighborhood.. It is no where as bad SE Portland was in the 90s. Are you saying Columbia City is not in Rainier Beach? The neighborhood is growing right into Rainier Beach and more and more lower income Seattle peopel are flocking to Rainier Beach as the rest of Seattle's once affordable neighborhoods are becoming gentrified and being priced out to oblivion. Beacon Hill also seemed quite desirable to me.
No, CC is not in Rainier Beach. The two neighborhoods don't even touch (border) each other, several other neighborhoods are in the way. You're clearly thinking of "Rainier Valley".

Old 07-09-2014, 03:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inkpoe View Post
No, CC is not in Rainier Beach. The two neighborhoods don't even touch (border) each other, several other neighborhoods are in the way. You're clearly thinking of "Rainier Valley".
Sorry, I get my Rainier's mixed up.. I remember the Rainier Valley appearing the most dingy.. Isn't Rainier Beach the area with lot of the nice homes near the lake and Rainier Valley the more inland part? I remember neither Rainier Beach or Valley appearing as bad as South or East Tacoma.

The whole area confuses me.. All I know is the strip I saw through the Rainier Valley had brand new condos and strips of stores being built all around and seem to be what I could consider a new and upcoming area, somewhat like what happened to Alberta and MLK area of NE Portland after the year 2000.

Old 07-09-2014, 09:13 AM

9,618 posts, read 27,339,773 times
Quote:
Sorry, I get my Rainier's mixed up.. I remember the Rainier Valley appearing the most dingy.. Isn't Rainier Beach the area with lot of the nice homes near the lake and Rainier Valley the more inland part? I remember neither Rainier Beach or Valley appearing as bad as South or East Tacoma.

The whole area confuses me.. All I know is the strip I saw through the Rainier Valley had brand new condos and strips of stores being built all around and seem to be what I could consider a new and upcoming area, somewhat like what happened to Alberta and MLK area of NE Portland after the year 2000.
You are getting your Rainiers mixed up. Next thing, you'll be declaring that Mount Rainier and Rainier cherries have become hip and upbeat.
They have been doing a lot of building in Rainier Valley, and the area just south of Columbia City, Hillman City, does seem to be getting hipper.
Rainier Beach has a good donut place. No gastropubs. No coffee roasteries. Parts of Rainier Beach, on the hill overlooking the lake, are quite nice. But the main part, near Rainier Beach HS, has a ways to go. Nicer than East Tacoma? Sure. Nicer than the South Bronx too.
But whether Seattle really has a ghetto or not maybe doesn't matter. If you're from a place where being in Rainier Beach makes you uncomfortable, nothing's wrong with you, and you don't have to live there. You don't have to go on the C-D forums and declare it a ghetto, and state that anyone willing to live there is crazy or naive.
At the same time, simply stating " Seattle has no ghetto" doesn't really strike me as particularly helpful, since perception is everything.

Old 07-09-2014, 10:45 AM

7,743 posts, read 15,870,170 times
Quote:

Lol, no. Rainier Valley is not a neighborhood. It's the name of the area from RB up to i90.

But yes, I think Rainier Valley is actually one of the better parts of Seattle with its diversity (racial, economic, etc), history, amenities and such. It will definitely get recognition because it's a cool area that happen to be a whole package and it's. still . affordable.

Well, by Seattle standards, it's relatively affordable.

Old 07-09-2014, 12:21 PM

5,075 posts, read 11,074,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inkpoe View Post
Lol, no. Rainier Valley is not a neighborhood. It's the name of the area from RB up to i90.

But yes, I think Rainier Valley is actually one of the better parts of Seattle with its diversity (racial, economic, etc), history, amenities and such. It will definitely get recognition because it's a cool area that happen to be a whole package and it's. still . affordable.

Well, by Seattle standards, it's relatively affordable.

Judging from the recent surge in home sales, ALL of Seattle is affordable. For someone.

Old 07-09-2014, 01:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ira500 View Post
You are getting your Rainiers mixed up. Next thing, you'll be declaring that Mount Rainier and Rainier cherries have become hip and upbeat.
They have been doing a lot of building in Rainier Valley, and the area just south of Columbia City, Hillman City, does seem to be getting hipper.
Rainier Beach has a good donut place. No gastropubs. No coffee roasteries. Parts of Rainier Beach, on the hill overlooking the lake, are quite nice. But the main part, near Rainier Beach HS, has a ways to go. Nicer than East Tacoma? Sure. Nicer than the South Bronx too.
But whether Seattle really has a ghetto or not maybe doesn't matter. If you're from a place where being in Rainier Beach makes you uncomfortable, nothing's wrong with you, and you don't have to live there. You don't have to go on the C-D forums and declare it a ghetto, and state that anyone willing to live there is crazy or naive.
At the same time, simply stating " Seattle has no ghetto" doesn't really strike me as particularly helpful, since perception is everything.
Mount Rainier is the hippest mountain in the lower 48..

Sorry, I don't go to the Southside much.. Now, I am up in the North Country, why bother, right? Yeah, I was driving around Columbia City and Rainier Valley and it didn't look all that bad to me and thought the ethnic stores and new condo complexes all around made it seem like it was "becoming hip". However, I have not probably driven around much in "Rainier Beach" itself. I remember seeing a load of mansions driving around Rainier Beach a while back and wondering where the ghetto was, then I drove onto Rainier Ave and it seemed a little dingy.

Rainier Ave is definitely kind of sketchy, but then so are many streets in many cities around the world. I have heard of lot of people getting shot and stabbed on Rainier Ave. So, maybe it is more dangerous than it looks if you are just trotting around and trying to get up close and personal in the neighborhood.

Yeah, I guess I thought Columbia City was part of Rainier Valley because it seems to flow right into that area.

Old 07-11-2014, 08:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tall city View Post
The whole downtown is ghetto!
Compared to what? Have you seen East Hastings in Vancouver .. It makes the worst part of Seattle's downtown look like paradise.

Old 07-11-2014, 11:32 PM

555 posts, read 803,196 times
Rainier Beach is a great up and coming neighborhood...now if they could only do something about the gangs, the drive-bys.

Oh wait---these things don't happen in Seattle. And if they do, we don't have as many as Detroit! LOL
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area