Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-28-2014, 07:32 PM

9 posts, read 9,447 times

Advertisements

What's up guys & girls,

So this is it! My first move yeee' haaaa so excited ! I am 25 currently living at home (I know, I know..) grew up in Arlington, Virginia which is RIGHT next door to DC and all of that.

Long story short, I've been thinking about moving out for a while now.. "Recently" came back from a trip overseas (Indonesia, Bali) which knocked most of my funds out and struggled to find a decent j.o.b shortly after that. . Good news is, I've found that job and started saving again .

I've been asking a lot of customers about Seattle/Washington (West Coast, mid west, etc.) to just to get a flavor of the economy, nightlife and the general nature of that 'said' area. Aside from doing my own independent research - Seattle, Portland sounds like a pretty decent area to check out.

Of course I heard about the "Seattle Freeze" (I am confident I'll overcome that lol), the various overcast between both states and various other things. I just wanted to ask what you guys think about these two places and the odds of making it work out there if I find a roommate etc.

I also realize that it MIGHT NOT work out in either of these two places.. And you know what. Thats ok . I am more excited about the prospect of making it work and having fun making like minded spiritual/open minded friends along the way. Would you guys recommend any other places to check out with reasonable rent/entertainment and with a "side" of nature?

Apartments:
$800-1K (utilities included)

This guy has the same mindset as me (granted, not everything in that possible might be possible for me):

//www.city-data.com/forum/seatt...partments.html

PS: Thought of a better state?! Why keep it to yourself, tell me!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2014, 07:46 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,570 posts, read 81,147,605 times
Seattle has more jobs, but much higher cost of living (and rent). I think Seattle also has a better night life, but if you are into it, Portland has the highest number of strip clubs per capita in the US. It might help if people knew what kind of work you are looking for. We live near Settle but go own to Portland 2-3 times a year, you would probably like either as long s you don't need a lot of sun.

Old 06-28-2014, 07:56 PM

Thats definitely one of the things I am curious about. Lack of sun.. Whether that loss in my life is going to get me down or not lol. . Only one way to find out ehh. I am actually one of those odd types in my area that enjoy and like the rain. I find that a lot of people complain about it - I've always enjoyed it when I was younger. Everyday though. Well who knows.

As far as work is concerned. I currently work for Apple and but wouldn't mind find something IT related (plan on getting some certifications soon)or another higher end retail job.

Old 06-29-2014, 02:07 AM

2,011 posts, read 3,460,459 times
Ive posted this before but I think this can relate with you aswell:

Now If you want a the most bang for the buck I would give Tacoma a look while you are in the area. Medium sized city with historic charm. Gets a bad rap because of the gang problem in the 90's but its a emerging blue collar port city with beautiful views and alot of potential. $1000 will get you a good place there! Its about 45-60 minutes to seattle depending on mid to moderate traffic but its a real city for its self so there is plenty of options for dining, right on the water, close to Mt. Rainier. Very accessible to alot of other cities in the area. Its urban and allows you to check out other areas to potentially move to while saving up some money. I would atleast consider it while in the area looking around.

Old 06-29-2014, 08:39 PM

Tacoma huh, thanks DevanXL - I will check that asap. I like that you've said it has some historic charm, cool little tidbit there. yeah man $800+/- is what i am aiming towards granted if this was with a roommate than that could change things.. And to be honest I would probably prefer that route, new city and all of that.

I see your location is based in Seattle, is that where you're currently situated? What are your thoughts on Seattle? How long have you been there etc.? Seattle Freeze fact or myth?

Last edited by Milo1230; 06-29-2014 at 09:12 PM..

Old 06-29-2014, 11:14 PM

2,011 posts, read 3,460,459 times
At the moment of just south of Seattle in Federal Way which borders Tacoma. I spent the past 2 years at UW in Seattle but have lived in the metro my entire life. I love Seattle, just something about it makes it different. I have never encounter the Seattle freeze but ive had friends in this area. I think attacting your self to a social group helps at first. If your a gamer, or sports fan, or foodie, or musician, it helps to clinge on a scene to break to confort zone with people here. But if you are outgoing Make friends should be easy. Going to local events when you first get here and opening out to new people will make it easy to adjust here

Old 06-30-2014, 08:22 AM

458 posts, read 958,034 times
I went to Portland in my mid twenties and IMO think it is a great place to be young, share housing and generally have a pretty nice life without making a tremendous amount of money.

I'm back home on the east coast right now first in Chevy Chase now in Manahattan and my obvious take away is that all the major coastal cities worth living in are prohibitively expensive unless you are earning a generous salary..meaning not fun and pretty depressing if your broke!

Financial struggle is never fun but is more tolerable in a place like Portland where your surrounded by people your age in the same situation : )

Old 07-02-2014, 01:36 PM

^ Right on, thats actually one of the reasons why I wanted to visit/check out Portland was because of that.. Still get a little bit of green and some open mindedness still - though I am worried if I meet someone up there she works at a strip club : /. .

@ DevanXL: thanks for responding again man. That was something I've been thinking about as well and actually attend and belong to something within VA/DC called "meet up". I checked if Seattle has it and they do! Its a bit hard to find open minded people into metaphysics over here in DC. . With all of the right-wingers and suits buzzing about. Not sure if one state is better than the other in that regard - but its a step in the right direction.

Without getting too mystical lol, I actually had a dream this morning about the "Seattle Freeze" and the message I got was that I had a 21% chance of encountering it. I had a magazine called the 'Seattle Times' with the exact subject we're talking about above mentioned.. I was like Ohhh boy - pay attention now lol. Probably just my subconscious thinking about the move and all of that.

Thought I should share!

Old 07-04-2014, 01:29 PM

What are some things to consider when moving to a new state? I guess I would be curious about who to contact when I DO move, to change my address and all of that for my taxes and other important info etc.

DMV (still don't have my license yet, plan to get one before my move) would just be a matter of going over there to get my State ID ASAP. Curious to know what would be some other important tidbits.

Thanks

Old 07-10-2014, 07:31 PM

Bump!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area