Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-08-2014, 01:33 PM

19 posts, read 24,086 times

Advertisements

Any MA transplants able to compare the traffic in Seattle vs Mass Pike (I-90) in MA?

My current commute is 26 miles and takes 30 minutes because I leave super early (5:30). At peak traffic (6:45-9:00), that drive would take me 90 minutes.

How does this compare with going into and out of Seattle?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2014, 01:48 PM

291 posts, read 392,510 times
I have never been on the Mass Pike. This website will tell you your predicted travel times for most major commutes at any time:

95% Reliable Travel Times

My partner and I use it to commute from Bellevue. It's pretty reliable, but you need to look ahead to see if there is a Mariner's game or whatnot that might give you different results for specific commutes. It does however take into account ongoing construction. For the games, go to the WSDOT main website and they will give you alerts by text or e-mail if you sign up.

Old 07-08-2014, 02:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MmeZeeZee View Post
I have never been on the Mass Pike. This website will tell you your predicted travel times for most major commutes at any time:

95% Reliable Travel Times

My partner and I use it to commute from Bellevue. It's pretty reliable, but you need to look ahead to see if there is a Mariner's game or whatnot that might give you different results for specific commutes. It does however take into account ongoing construction. For the games, go to the WSDOT main website and they will give you alerts by text or e-mail if you sign up.
Cool, thanks!

Old 07-08-2014, 02:55 PM

2,811 posts, read 5,626,386 times
At 5:30 AM going into Seattle you'd be cruising down the freeway with no issues at the full speed limit (60MPH), so that would be similar to your experience in Mass.

Old 07-08-2014, 03:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jm31828 View Post
At 5:30 AM going into Seattle you'd be cruising down the freeway with no issues at the full speed limit (60MPH), so that would be similar to your experience in Mass.
Awesome! That's what I figured, but I saw another post that said rush hour started at 6:00, so I wanted to make sure.

Old 07-09-2014, 07:57 AM

2,811 posts, read 5,626,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadeauxe View Post
Awesome! That's what I figured, but I saw another post that said rush hour started at 6:00, so I wanted to make sure.
I drive in to work at that time (leaving the house at 5:20 or 5:30 going down I-5 into Seattle) and yeah at 6:00 traffic gets a bit thick on the freeway, but at that time of day it's still not heavy enough to slow you down- moving at full freeway speeds (barring any construction or accidents, of course). It doesn't begin to actually slow down until some time in the 7:00 hour.

Old 07-09-2014, 08:30 AM

719 posts, read 987,578 times
As a lifelong New Englander up until about 7 years ago, I think there's no comparison. Boston not only handles its traffic better than Seattle does, it also possesses the means to do so (a complete light rail network; heavy rail; multiple highway corridors).

Darn, now you've made me all nostalgic.

Old 07-09-2014, 02:16 PM

1,889 posts, read 2,200,054 times
Get your Xanax ready, that's my advice to a New Englader who is going to have to deal with the drivers around here... Problem here is it can be bad ALL day EVERY day, with no real break between 6am and 8pm. I was in Boston for a short time years ago, and I find it far more frustrating to drive here, perhaps mostly due to the egregious lack of skill of the majority of the drivers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
View detailed profiles of: