Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-26-2014, 08:40 AM

5 posts, read 5,684 times

Advertisements

Hi!
We are moving from Australia to West Seattle, near Westwood village.
I have 16 years old son who is most likely starting to attend grade 11.
There is a public high school close to where we live, however if there is any good private high school in Seattle or West Seattle area I would be appreciated to get some information.
He plays rugby union and soccer, more likely plays soccer lately. He speaks English fluently as he spent his early age in the states then moved to AU.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2014, 11:24 AM

128 posts, read 222,959 times
Kennedy Catholic is a good High School that is not too far from Westwood Village.

Old 07-26-2014, 11:54 AM

458 posts, read 957,883 times
There is a public high school (no tuition) in West Seattle Called Chief Stealth which has the IB program.

Private high schools ( all tuition based) are mostly to be found across the bridge in the city proper such as The Bush School, The Northwest School, Seattle Academy, University Prep, Lakeside, O'Dea which is an all boys Catholic school with great sports traditions, Bishop Blanchett and Seattle Waldorf HS! Some of these schools have great sports programs as well as being academically excellent. Most of the private high schools run between 21,000 to 28,000 per year. The Private Catholic schools are considerably less expensive. As an example O'Dea is less than 13,000 a year.

Feel free to private message me. School selection based on an understanding of the culture at each one is a big part of how I help my clients! I would be happy to answer any questions you may have!

Old 07-27-2014, 07:16 PM

1,314 posts, read 2,053,879 times
He can also take the ferry to Vashon for high school.

Old 08-06-2014, 05:24 AM

Thank you for the information.
We are definitely not the family would able to spend $20000,00 for high school tuition.
I will talk to my son about O'dea, that's the amour we would be able to pay and positive point that they have sports tradition. My son has been attending co-edu for his primary and secondary school. Just wonder if like all boys. I also would like to think about Chief Sealth as they have IB program. Just wondering if all the peers in the Chief wealth are taking IB program or selective students are able to take that classes?
In Sydney, New South Wales state has some selective high school which are running by public however only approved peers are able to those selective courses, others are taking standard curriculums.

Kennedy Catholic, I have checked on the google map. looks like located in the good distance from our new home. I would be appreciated If I could get some reputation about this school about sports league or students behaviours in the public.

This forum is really helping for people who relocate to new place. Thanx for the people who runs this website and people support this forums.

Old 08-07-2014, 10:26 AM

458 posts, read 957,883 times
Not all kids at Stealth do the IB program...as you know it is quite rigorous so would have a self selecting population of kids who choose to do the full IB diploma program which Chief Stealth does offer.

Overall the school didn't have the best reputation but after starting the IB program in 2007 has seen its reputation grow. That being said, it is still a big urban public high school with a population pulled from the community as a whole!

Old 08-09-2014, 02:51 AM

Really appreciated the direct point of view. I like this type of direct comment which I can figure the image of school environment easier.
Well, I do not have a huge budget range where I can choose those over 20,000 annual tuition schools. However, my son is turning to be in year 11 so that I prefer him to attend school with short distance for commute. This way, he would be able to making friends who lives convenient distance for catching up with friends in the weekend.
Is there any school reputation for Kennedy Catholic and Shorewood Christian school?

Old 08-10-2014, 03:41 AM

2,011 posts, read 3,459,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OZland View Post
Thank you for the information.
We are definitely not the family would able to spend $20000,00 for high school tuition.
I will talk to my son about O'dea, that's the amour we would be able to pay and positive point that they have sports tradition. My son has been attending co-edu for his primary and secondary school. Just wonder if like all boys. I also would like to think about Chief Sealth as they have IB program. Just wondering if all the peers in the Chief wealth are taking IB program or selective students are able to take that classes?
In Sydney, New South Wales state has some selective high school which are running by public however only approved peers are able to those selective courses, others are taking standard curriculums.

Kennedy Catholic, I have checked on the google map. looks like located in the good distance from our new home. I would be appreciated If I could get some reputation about this school about sports league or students behaviours in the public.

This forum is really helping for people who relocate to new place. Thanx for the people who runs this website and people support this forums.
Kennedy is in 3A sports classification (which is the second highest in the state) and typically good with great college connection. But the educational experience is average. I would actually reccomend Garfield HS is your son can choice in. Good sports reputation, emerging academic program, and a renowned music program. It was rated one of the top schools in the state behind the Bellevue schools. They are in 4A which is the histest sports class.

Old 08-10-2014, 08:17 AM
fnh

2,888 posts, read 3,911,163 times
If it matters, Garfield is returning to 3A:

Garfield, Ballard, Roosevelt will return to Metro League | High School Sports | The Seattle Times

I think Garfield is very attractive but I'm not sure how convenient it would be to Westwood Village. Kids do come to the school from all over town, though.

Old 08-12-2014, 06:02 AM

Thank you for the people who gave me more option to look around.
Garfield sounds very close to what I am looking for.
I will check up on Garfield and add to my son's school lists and see if the commute to this school is convenient from our place.
If don't mind could you please let me know how does those grade are marked based on 3A and 4A?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area