Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-28-2014, 09:47 AM

595 posts, read 2,701,744 times

Advertisements

This area is significantly more health conscious than other parts of the country. I've lived in the Northeast, the Midwest AND the South and I see more people engaging in REGULAR healthy activity than the rest of the country. We've been here a year and we LOVE it. You couldn't pay me to go back to the Midwest (instead of coffee people wake up with a Big Gulp soda ) or the South. I'd go back to the Northeast but only because I sincerely miss NYC. ;-) Also, as to unhappy people, I've seen more unhappiness in the NE than here in the Seattle area. I personally love that I can head to the mountains and get lost in the woods. The traffic kind of sucks but the traffic sucked in NJ and it sucked in St. Louis. Traffic sucks everywhere.

If you and your family are unhappy here, than by all means make the move where you think you would be happier.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2014, 11:49 AM

225 posts, read 382,535 times
So, to the OP....where are you considering to move? There is no perfect location, every place you can think of has its own drawbacks. The key is to find the place that, in your opinion for you, has more positives than negatives.

For me, and my kids, we think Seattle will be HANDS DOWN, the best to re-locate.

We currently live in the Florida Panhandle. The heat, humidity, hurricane threats, summer tourist congestion, and lack of new places to explore for me are the big negatives.

We look at the weather everyday in Seattle, and are counting the days until we can experience a temperature near 60 degrees and low humidity when we wake up in the morning. Conversely, there are LOTS of mornings when I wake up, and at 6AM it is 80 degrees with 88% humidity! Winters are nice, but frequent windy conditions can be a bummer.

Old 07-29-2014, 10:54 AM

12 posts, read 14,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seattlerain View Post
Bless your little heart, you sound just as hateful and bigoted as the people you are condemning.
Oh, you forgot to include the part about him/her being right. You probably forgot while you were busy trying to think of which insulting word to use towards him/her before settling on 'bigot'.

There are 3 things that you can count on in life: death, taxes, and a passive-aggressive/snarky/hateful comment from a Seattelite (stemming from the signature Seattle inferiority complex) whenever their precious city is called anything but "the greatest place on earth".

I lived in Seattle 17 years and couldn't be happier to move away. Believe it or not, there are people for whom the bland, soul-less vibe of Seattle people does not click. You may love it, and that's fine, but the suicide rates and countless people like me that moved away and are now happy prove yours is not the only opinion of Seattle.

Think about it, people at a higher rate than any other city in America, would rather kill themselves than continue living in Seattle.

Old 07-29-2014, 11:23 AM

1,278 posts, read 2,921,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Been_Around_The_World View Post
Oh, you forgot to include the part about him/her being right. You probably forgot while you were busy trying to think of which insulting word to use towards him/her before settling on 'bigot'.
There are 3 things that you can count on in life: death, taxes, and a passive-aggressive/snarky/hateful comment from a Seattelite (stemming from the signature Seattle inferiority complex) whenever their precious city is called anything but "the greatest place on earth".
I lived in Seattle 17 years and couldn't be happier to move away. Believe it or not, there are people for whom the bland, soul-less vibe of Seattle people does not click. You may love it, and that's fine, but the suicide rates and countless people like me that moved away and are now happy prove yours is not the only opinion of Seattle.
Think about it, people at a higher rate than any other city in America, would rather kill themselves than continue living in Seattle.
I get that you don't like Seattle, but I'm confused by your last statement.
Do you have any statistics or source for it?

Old 07-29-2014, 09:33 PM

555 posts, read 802,813 times
Been Around:

Too true And Princess of the Cape's assessment was spot on. Anybody who doesn't agree that the faux culture is superior to the rest of the country gets labeled like that, because of the pervasive Groupthink also endemic in this culture. Seattleites generally remind me of a bunch of a rednecks who came to the big city from the trailer park and are trying to fool everyone by acting like 'suffisty-cated city-fied folk'.

Old 07-29-2014, 11:30 PM

474 posts, read 1,454,980 times
PrincessoftheCape sounds like a delight. Head-scratcher as to why he/she has had a hard time finding happiness.

Old 07-30-2014, 03:59 AM

337 posts, read 494,513 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thatguy950 View Post
many in Seattle also have an illogical resentment for the eastside, yet I have never been able to explain why....
I just moved from Bellevue into Seattle and have heard more negative comments about the Eastside from people whom live over here than I ever have about Seattle from the mouths of Eastsiders. One woman whom served me at the Safeway Deli in my neighborhood rather smugly told me that she hasn't been on the Eastside in over 10 years - "I don't go over there. They come over here and laugh at us". That's actually what she said.

Old 07-30-2014, 06:25 AM

854 posts, read 1,140,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackhawk4440 View Post
Obesity is at epidemic levels throughout the US, and Seattle is not exempt, though the obesity rates are lower. This is actually true of all the Pacific Coast states. Portland and San Francisco have lower obesity rates than Seattle.

However lower obesity here doesn't translate necessarily into healthier lifestyles. Seattle is currently experiencing major rat infestations in supermarkets, restaurants (thanks to the granola-heads banning lethal pest controls) and e-coli/salmonella outbreaks (thanks again to the Greens/Sawant supporters, who banned disposable shopping bags and funnel billions of dollars into building food-banks instead of funding health inspections).
Very true, it's the only state that commonly has outbreaks of whooping cough and other irradiated diseases.

Old 07-30-2014, 06:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessoftheCape View Post
By in large, I can't stand the people here. It's all quiet, smiling narcissism, aloof arrogance, plagiarized culture, and non-stop screaming about how this is the greatest place on Earth. I've never seen so many fools so convinced of the inherent goodness of enormous, faceless, tyrannical bureaucracy; so bound and determined to condemn anyone who doesn't fit into a neat and tidy one-size-fits-all 'perfect' lifestyle.

These people thoroughly believe themselves that they are the most open, accepting, welcoming bunch in the country, when most are closeted bigots, hateful of people, not because of their ethnicity, but because of their ideas. A pox on them all.
Everything I have tried to say, thank you!

Old 07-30-2014, 06:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RDH35 View Post
This area is significantly more health conscious than other parts of the country. I've lived in the Northeast, the Midwest AND the South and I see more people engaging in REGULAR healthy activity than the rest of the country. We've been here a year and we LOVE it. You couldn't pay me to go back to the Midwest (instead of coffee people wake up with a Big Gulp soda ) or the South. I'd go back to the Northeast but only because I sincerely miss NYC. ;-) Also, as to unhappy people, I've seen more unhappiness in the NE than here in the Seattle area. I personally love that I can head to the mountains and get lost in the woods. The traffic kind of sucks but the traffic sucked in NJ and it sucked in St. Louis. Traffic sucks everywhere.

If you and your family are unhappy here, than by all means make the move where you think you would be happier.
More trash talk about the south lumping everyone there into the obese soda chugging fat crowd. Some of the healthiest people in the country are in the south and the do backbreaking work 5 days a week. Right now I am in the Midwest and I have seen far fewer obese people than I did in my stay in Washington not only that but people treat each other with common decency.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area